Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

Old Mar 14, 18, 6:53 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,107
[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

There is a thread about this, IIRC, but I just can't find it.

Was on United's 15th shortest flight, AVP-EWR at 96 miles.
Pleasantly surprised: Stroopwaffel was handed out to everyone before door close, and FA proactively offered all 1k and GS a snack (pack). Orange juice and water was offered.
Flight duration 28 minutes.
UA really stepped up their game, I thought. Munoz came through.

​​​​Just as I was so impressed, FA announced (paraphrasing): "After April 1st, United will not offer any catering on its shortest flights. You will need to bring your own water from then on."

Yikes. United back to it's horrible self. Kirby at work.
narvik is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 7:05 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,792
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
There is a thread about this, IIRC, but I just can't find it.

Was on United's 15th shortest flight, AVP-EWR at 96 miles.
Pleasantly surprised: Stroopwaffel was handed out to everyone before door close, and FA proactively offered all 1k and GS a snack (pack). Orange juice and water was offered.
Flight duration 28 minutes.
UA really stepped up their game, I thought. Munoz came through.

​​​​Just as I was so impressed, FA announced (paraphrasing): "After April 1st, United will not offer any catering on its shortest flights. You will need to bring your own water from then on."

Yikes. United back to it's horrible self. Kirby at work.
Yep... Kirby is doing his very best to obliterate any goodwill created by Oscar post-Smisek.
Silver Fox likes this.
EWR764 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 7:12 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 575
Not even water??? Really? Sheesh
Silver Fox likes this.
flyerbaby19 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 8:31 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,580
OAK-LAX yesterday on a DL (Compass Air) 175 . . . my upgrade cleared 5 days out, there was a pillow and blanket waiting at every seat, a full snack basket was passed around, and drinks were offered multiple times. And didn't have to deal with weather at SFO.

Which would you choose?
Kacee is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 8:48 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
OAK-LAX yesterday on a DL (Compass Air) 175 . . . my upgrade cleared 5 days out, there was a pillow and blanket waiting at every seat, a full snack basket was passed around, and drinks were offered multiple times. And didn't have to deal with weather at SFO.

Which would you choose?
Iíll choose :


  1. The airline that flies from the right airport instead of the most inconvenient one from Silicon Valley and the Peninsular
  1. The airline that flies mainline to LAX instead of delay- and cancellation- plagued regionals
  1. The airline that earns me award miles for 3-class first
  1. The airline that can also fly me nonstop to Singapore instead of a time-wasting SFO SEA NRT SIN scenic detour. my time is precious
williambruno1975 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 8:55 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Posts: 400
What's the flight time cutoff for the desert flights?
zymm is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 9:06 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,580
Originally Posted by williambruno1975 View Post
The airline that flies mainline to LAX instead of delay- and cancellation- plagued regional
SFO-LAX on UA is an utter and complete disaster when there's weather at SFO.

The DL flights ex-OAK OTOH are quite reliable.
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 14, 18 at 12:15 pm Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Kacee is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 9:15 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 8,053
So they are going to stop catering any SFO-LAX flight?

Another crappy-sounding idea, no doubt coming from Kirby.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 9:19 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In between IAD and DCA
Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,133
Bringing in Kirby was a bad move at the time, we all knew that. This is bad.
seanp7 and am1108 like this.
UAL250 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 9:24 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,147
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
So they are going to stop catering any SFO-LAX flight?

Another crappy-sounding idea, no doubt coming from Kirby.
I've heard it is only very short flights where there's no service scheduled today and that it means no carts will be loaded unless the plane is being catered for another segment.
fly18725 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 10:01 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Posts: 336
Originally Posted by williambruno1975 View Post


Iíll choose :

  1. The airline that flies from the right airport instead of the most inconvenient one from Silicon Valley and the Peninsular

The conventional wisdom among a large contingent of Bay Area - based frequent UA fliers - as has been discussed a lot on these forums - is that when the weather turns south at SFO and they have to dump parallel approaches (thus reducing capacity by roughly half) it turns into a delayed prone nightmare. Thus many, even hardcore UA loyalists like myself, head to OAK for quick trips up and down the coast, as it is not nearly as delay prone to weather. They are already set up for single-runway operations and thus dont rely on dual runways to keep pace with capacity.

Perfect example: two weeks ago I had a day trip to LA. In the morning I flew down to LAX from SFO. Weather turned awful in SFO and they went down to one runway. I wasnít able to jump over a Southwest flight into OAK and landed on time. The flight I would have been on to SFO in UA was delayed five hours, as were most others on that route that day.
HoyaSFOIAD is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 10:09 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 5,637
Originally Posted by williambruno1975 View Post
The airline that can also fly me nonstop to Singapore instead of a time-wasting SFO SEA NRT SIN scenic detour. my time is precious
Weeeeeeel. If you sit in business.I will prefer above route any time to non stop SFO-SIN in the middle seat at E-.
invisible is online now  
Old Mar 14, 18, 10:10 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Posts: 8,608
This thread is kind of useless without a definition of "short flights". How long (block, distance)?

-RM
RobOnLI is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 10:25 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,355
Is this really new? I flew SMF-SFO last year with no catering. Not even H-2-0.
transportprof is offline  
Old Mar 14, 18, 10:27 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Posts: 6,601
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
There is a thread about this, IIRC, but I just can't find it.

Was on United's 15th shortest flight, AVP-EWR at 96 miles.
Pleasantly surprised: Stroopwaffel was handed out to everyone before door close, and FA proactively offered all 1k and GS a snack (pack). Orange juice and water was offered.
Flight duration 28 minutes.
UA really stepped up their game, I thought. Munoz came through.

​​​​Just as I was so impressed, FA announced (paraphrasing): "After April 1st, United will not offer any catering on its shortest flights. You will need to bring your own water from then on."

Yikes. United back to it's horrible self. Kirby at work.
I take this flight all too often. By the time EWR lifts the ground hold it can be 60+ minutes from the time you pulled away from the gate. Add another 30 minutes if traveling in the other direction. Half the time a proactive service is offered onboard, and half the time it's not ("due to the short duration of the flight"), but there is service upon request. The FA usually walks through the cabin passing out Stroopwafels or a packet of pretzels, even if there is no official beverage service.

I'm hoping this is just a case of a misinformed UX FA. UA should be provisioning beverages (and Stroopwafels!) on every flight, as there is no way to predict how long passengers may be sitting trapped in the cabin from door to door. Perhaps the new policy is "No official service, but customers can request a beverage and/or a Stroopwafel." Otherwise, I can see why UA may be timing this new policy with their "compassion training."
goodeats21 and phltraveler like this.
SS255 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: