Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM

There is a thread about this, IIRC, but I just can't find it.

Was on United's 15th shortest flight, AVP-EWR at 96 miles.
Pleasantly surprised: Stroopwaffel was handed out to everyone before door close, and FA proactively offered all 1k and GS a snack (pack). Orange juice and water was offered.
Flight duration 28 minutes.
UA really stepped up their game, I thought. Munoz came through.

​​​​Just as I was so impressed, FA announced (paraphrasing): "After April 1st, United will not offer any catering on its shortest flights. You will need to bring your own water from then on."

Yikes. United back to it's horrible self. Kirby at work.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by narvik

Pleasantly surprised: Stroopwaffel was handed out to everyone before door close, and FA proactively offered all 1k and GS a snack (pack). Orange juice and water was offered.

​​​​Just as I was so impressed, FA announced (paraphrasing): "After April 1st, United will not offer any catering on its shortest flights. You will need to bring your own water from then on."

Yep... Kirby is doing his very best to obliterate any goodwill created by Oscar post-Smisek.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:12 am

Not even water??? Really? Sheesh
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OAK-LAX yesterday on a DL (Compass Air) 175 . . . my upgrade cleared 5 days out, there was a pillow and blanket waiting at every seat, a full snack basket was passed around, and drinks were offered multiple times. And didn't have to deal with weather at SFO.

Which would you choose?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by Kacee
OAK-LAX yesterday on a DL (Compass Air) 175 . . . my upgrade cleared 5 days out, there was a pillow and blanket waiting at every seat, a full snack basket was passed around, and drinks were offered multiple times. And didn't have to deal with weather at SFO.

Which would you choose?
Ill choose :

1. The airline that flies from the right airport instead of the most inconvenient one from Silicon Valley and the Peninsular
  1. The airline that flies mainline to LAX instead of delay- and cancellation- plagued regionals
  1. The airline that earns me award miles for 3-class first
  1. The airline that can also fly me nonstop to Singapore instead of a time-wasting SFO SEA NRT SIN scenic detour. my time is precious
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
What's the flight time cutoff for the desert flights?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by williambruno1975
The airline that flies mainline to LAX instead of delay- and cancellation- plagued regional
SFO-LAX on UA is an utter and complete disaster when there's weather at SFO.

The DL flights ex-OAK OTOH are quite reliable.
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 14, 2018 at 11:15 am Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
So they are going to stop catering any SFO-LAX flight?

Another crappy-sounding idea, no doubt coming from Kirby.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Bringing in Kirby was a bad move at the time, we all knew that. This is bad.
seanp7 and am1108 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
So they are going to stop catering any SFO-LAX flight?

Another crappy-sounding idea, no doubt coming from Kirby.
I've heard it is only very short flights where there's no service scheduled today and that it means no carts will be loaded unless the plane is being catered for another segment.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC

Ill choose :

1. The airline that flies from the right airport instead of the most inconvenient one from Silicon Valley and the Peninsular

The conventional wisdom among a large contingent of Bay Area - based frequent UA fliers - as has been discussed a lot on these forums - is that when the weather turns south at SFO and they have to dump parallel approaches (thus reducing capacity by roughly half) it turns into a delayed prone nightmare. Thus many, even hardcore UA loyalists like myself, head to OAK for quick trips up and down the coast, as it is not nearly as delay prone to weather. They are already set up for single-runway operations and thus dont rely on dual runways to keep pace with capacity.

Perfect example: two weeks ago I had a day trip to LA. In the morning I flew down to LAX from SFO. Weather turned awful in SFO and they went down to one runway. I wasnt able to jump over a Southwest flight into OAK and landed on time. The flight I would have been on to SFO in UA was delayed five hours, as were most others on that route that day.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
The airline that can also fly me nonstop to Singapore instead of a time-wasting SFO SEA NRT SIN scenic detour. my time is precious
Weeeeeeel. If you sit in business.I will prefer above route any time to non stop SFO-SIN in the middle seat at E-.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This thread is kind of useless without a definition of "short flights". How long (block, distance)?

-RM
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Is this really new? I flew SMF-SFO last year with no catering. Not even H-2-0.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik

I take this flight all too often. By the time EWR lifts the ground hold it can be 60+ minutes from the time you pulled away from the gate. Add another 30 minutes if traveling in the other direction. Half the time a proactive service is offered onboard, and half the time it's not ("due to the short duration of the flight"), but there is service upon request. The FA usually walks through the cabin passing out Stroopwafels or a packet of pretzels, even if there is no official beverage service.

I'm hoping this is just a case of a misinformed UX FA. UA should be provisioning beverages (and Stroopwafels!) on every flight, as there is no way to predict how long passengers may be sitting trapped in the cabin from door to door. Perhaps the new policy is "No official service, but customers can request a beverage and/or a Stroopwafel." Otherwise, I can see why UA may be timing this new policy with their "compassion training."
goodeats21 and phltraveler like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.