Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rumor] FA says "No catering on short flights" beginning April 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by chermorg
If we're talking about E45s, there's a square-ish "box" that goes above the galley shelf that contains the snacks (from what I've seen), and water would certainly not fit in there. Drinks would require at least a cart (unless they are going to provision these at a bare minimum, which would result in still them going back to the gate if they ran out during their tarmac delay service).

I can fully see them removing the bar cart from single-cabin flights of less than 1 hr block time, but I don't see them removing drinks altogether. I doubt very much that they would try and shove enough water for a whole plane in the small box above the galley.

Another point that may be useful getting input from a pilot is how the catering affects weight/balance calculations - would small planes such as the E35/45 series be affected by the lack of carts in the galley? If they're going to have to put the empty carts in for balance purposes anyway... wouldn't it make more sense to just put catered carts in so there's no chance of a mixup (i.e. a 20 minute flight getting catered carts while a 2 hour flight gets empty ones)?
There will always be carts loaded in the cart positions, but they don't necessarily have to be full, or changed at each station.

Since the RJs traverse a variety of short and longer routes, they'll likely be provisioned the same way, but the official service spec will end beverage service on flights below a certain duration/stage length.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
OAK-LAX yesterday on a DL (Compass Air) 175 . . . my upgrade cleared 5 days out, there was a pillow and blanket waiting at every seat, a full snack basket was passed around, and drinks were offered multiple times. And didn't have to deal with weather at SFO.

Which would you choose?
In fairness, DL on the west coast (Compass) is uniformly horrible at pre-departure drinks in FC, including LAX-SFO. I am lucky if I see them on 1 out of 4 flights. UA is very consistent there.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
I fly LAX-SBA often and there's not catering service, so not a issue there. It's usually 18-20 min wheels up to wheels down.

I think if they stopped catering for LAX - Vegas you'll have some uproar and lost adult beverage revenue!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:02 pm

The service is inconsistent from flight-to-flight as well. I received no service on EWR - ITH but I received water on ITH - EWR. Both trips were this past week.

The flight used to have a beverage service but that was when it was on Q200s. Now that it is on E145s, the flight is much shorter so I guess it is more difficult for the flight attendant to offer any refreshments. Overall, the hard product upgrade with the E145 outweighs any service reduction vs the Q200.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by EWR764
There will always be carts loaded in the cart positions, but they don't necessarily have to be full, or changed at each station.

Since the RJs traverse a variety of short and longer routes, they'll likely be provisioned the same way, but the official service spec will end beverage service on flights below a certain duration/stage length.
That was my guess - so let's assume that they will continue to load carts. The carts will be either full, or not full. There are already issues where carts are run into issues with catering - why cause potentially more issues by not catering any drinks/snacks on certain flights?

As you say, they'll likely provision them the same way, yet officially they will not be opened. That being said, "officially" there's already no service on flights under a certain length, and I can only remember a single one of those flights (I take quite a number) on which I have not gotten any form of service.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by Kacee
SFO-LAX on UA is an utter and complete disaster when there's weather at SFO.

The DL flights ex-OAK OTOH are quite reliable.
You should try UX SBA to SFO. The delays on that route are ridiculous. Not looking forward to my flight tomorrow, given the WX in SFO is supposed to be marginal....
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This thread is kind of useless without a definition of "short flights". How long (block, distance)?

-RM

In the back of my mind, I seem to vaguely recall the FA mentioning "219 miles", and I am wondering if he meant that flights shorter than 219 miles aren't catered after 4/1/2018.
All rumor and based on my poor recollection of course.....and would go against common wisdom that block times are normally used not distance.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a little early for April 1st joke.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
So when does Kirby decide to cater water but try and charge people for it?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
So when does Kirby decide to cater water but try and charge people for it?

Every night, when he sleeps.
goodeats21 and DCP2016 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I just learned about this: "Thru-Galley" leaves little food choice and even ice...

This is the guy who tried $2 water on US/HP flights so anything is possible.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
Was on United's 15th shortest flight, AVP-EWR at 96 miles.
...... Stroopwaffel was handed out to everyone before door close, and FA proactively offered all 1k and GS a snack (pack). Orange juice and water was offered.
Flight duration 28 minutes......​​​​Just as I was so impressed, FA announced (paraphrasing): "After April 1st, United will not offer any catering on its shortest flights. You will need to bring your own water from then on."
Was on the same flight April 8, and as a single reference point: this time NOTHING at all was offered.
Sadly, I neglected to ask FA if this was a one-off, or if this is indeed a new change. GA and UC staff knew nothing.

Would be nice to know if this is SOP now or if it was just a coincidence.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
Was on the same flight April 8, and as a single reference point: this time NOTHING at all was offered.
Sadly, I neglected to ask FA if this was a one-off, or if this is indeed a new change. GA and UC staff knew nothing.

Would be nice to know if this is SOP now or if it was just a coincidence.
The basket with pretzels and Stroopwafels was passed on EWR-AVP on 3/28. No drinks were offered.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Flew ORD-GRR on Sunday, 4/8/18. No weather, delays or other interruptions - what I'd describe as a flight with normal ops. Departure time was ~10:00 PM.

Sat in 4B and received a pre-departure beverage....and that was it. Reached cruising altitude, seat belt sign came off, and we were free to move about the cabin. No water, snack or beverage service. What gives?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Sat in 4B and received a pre-departure beverage....and that was it. Reached cruising altitude, seat belt sign came off, and we were free to move about the cabin. No water, snack or beverage service. What gives?
What gives? A modicum of service...
SFOrunner likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.