Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Which raises the question why the F/A was so determined to put the bag in the bin. The only situation I encounter in which an F/A insisted on putting something in the overhead bins was a) it's an exit row or b) the bag is to big to fit under the seat. If b) was the case, then the appropriate solution would've been to deplane the passengers. That would've saved a dog...
I suspect the mother had her diaper bag under the seat. Both diaper bag and dog wouldn't fit under seat.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by docbert
Not really. They've learnt from previous incidents that if they do anything other than accept responsibility it'll blow up even worse on the twitters and the facebooks.

It's better to accept responsibility (even if they weren't (the only ones) at fault), than to deny it and have it blow up even worse.
It doesn’t seem that the facts are in question. People are just making theoretical excuses for United. I’m waiting for someone to say maybe the dog was hit by a micrometeor.
Originally Posted by mozilla
I'll refrain from judging, there are too many question marks.

* Was the FA fully aware that an animal was in the bag when she asked the passenger to store it in the overhead bin? The passenger(s) say so, but I'd like to hear the other side of the story. Was the crew in a rush to take off? Was it the end of a long day for them?
* Why was the animal not checked on during the flight? I'm not pointing fingers here, there could be good reasons for that: turbulence, sitting at the window next to one or two older/disabled/POS pax, something else.

So if it were the end of a long day it’s okay to kill a passenger’s dog?
TheDudeAbides and jinglish like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2018 at 4:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Was the dog a service animal or ESA? I didn't think UA allowed pets in the cabin anymore, they all had to go as cargo.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by Troopers
I suspect the mother had her diaper bag under the seat. Both diaper bag and dog wouldn't fit under seat.
....and a purse for mom, a purse for teenager and possibly another carryon would mean something had to go overhead.
I’m betting the dog carrier was too big to fit under the seat.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
One newsfeed I got said the dog carrier was sticking out in the aisle so the FA asked the passenger to put it in the overhead bin.

Did the passenger even tell the FA there was a dog in this carrier ? FA can be abrupt during boarding "ma'am this bag will have to go overhead, it cannot stick out in the aisle" then turning quickly to move on down the aisle to do whatever needs to be done next, without a 2nd thought.

Are those big dogs ? (Guess it depends on the age) Would it be a struggle to lift and put into an overhead bin while maintaining control of a lap child ? Dogs move around too....legs, head, body....while being hoisted overhead.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
The 'slight' problem I have with people saying "why didn't someone stand up or she should have stood up more or she should have absolutely refused to put the dog in the overhead bin..." is...

In post 9/11, disobeying a flight attendant is how you end up:
  • In handcuffs
  • Kicked off your flight
  • Having the airline refuse to fly you on a future flight and you have to buy tickets on another airline yourself
  • Arrested, jailed, etc.
I know many of us (myself included) go... "Oh I would've stood up" but seriously, how many of you stand up on a day to day basis against FA's (who you assume have your interests and safety in mind) and don't have one of those above happen to you.

We've been conditioned to just sit down and shut up and what the FA says, is what happens, else repurcussions happen.
I stand by my previous claim: if I see an animal being mistreated or put in harms way on an aircraft I WILL speak up to the point of causing a scene if necessary (I don't believe it would ever get that far). Delay the flight, call the GA, supervisor, pilot, TSA, police...I don't care. If anyone is afraid of the consequences standing up for an animal being put in danger they haven't been paying attention to how PR/social media works these days. I guarantee there would be no permanent negative consequences from this course of action.
nichelle and chavala like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb
Are those big dogs ? (Guess it depends on the age) Would it be a struggle to lift and put into an overhead bin while maintaining control of a lap child ? Dogs move around too....legs, head, body....while being hoisted overhead.
Small enough to fit in an overhead without the carrier.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
So if it were the end of a long day it’s okay to kill a passenger’s dog?
Exhaustion, rush (winter weather forecasted for NYC) or other factors could have contributed to a misunderstanding between the pax and the FA. Humans are fallible and misunderstandings happen all the time, also on board of aircraft.

One of the reasons why flying is the safest form of travel (well, for humans) is because we make strong use of automatization and procedures to eliminate many of the human fallacies from the flight deck. When things go sideways it's usually because of poor human judgment or mistakes, either due to external factors or due to humans being humans (or both).

Last edited by mozilla; Mar 13, 2018 at 4:27 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:16 pm

Another story link:
https://nypost.com/2018/03/13/dog-di...-overhead-bin/
Seems kind of hard to get all of the story details in any single link.
737-900? hm. I was just thinking that UA's 777-300 ER's have a lousy set-up in seats E & F in economy. When the seat supports are consistent for three seats across, and you jam four seats across there, the middle two seats have seat supports in the underseat areas making it difficult if not impossible to store any kind of bag there. Other underseat storage has become difficult with power boxes, etc. But the bad situation has gone worse.

Kind of surprised there was even space in the overhead...

23BC tells me that these passengers were not frequent fliers, and lacking the gut instincts of frequent fliers, and lacking being surrounded by other frequent fliers. UA customer service is deplorable once again. As a Premier Platinum, sometimes I just check-in at the non-premier lines. UA customer service in non-premier areas repeatedly wows me with their impatience and incompetence. Advice to other premiers--try the cattle line occasionally to see how bad customer service gets.
wrp96 and jinglish like this.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Mar 13, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That is so over the top - it is one thing to be defiant and cause a scene - leading to being removed from the flight versus having a calm conversation - "Miss/Mr., you probably didn't realize, I have a dog in the carryon. It wouldn't be safe for my dog to be in the overhead bin - and if needed, can I talk to the purser, pilot, or gate agent please.

I also know that in all the hub airports of which IAH is one of those hubs - if there is an escalation on board, the new process is a fairly high level supervisor comes on board to assess the situation - and I've seen that process now a couple of times and it works well.

Lastly, I'd rather get kicked off the plane (which I see 0% happening) than have my dog die.
But they did. They had a back/forth with the FA stating there was a dog in the carrier. It's not over the top, it's the truth. Take the most recent event that comes to mind. On a recent Delta flight, a passenger says "Thank you Tabitha (name of FA), you may not have a job tomorrow". And guess what, she was kicked right off that flight. Despite apologies, despite numerous apologies to the FA, begging, etc. What scene did this woman cause? What physical alteration did she do? She said one sentence, didn't even raise her voice, which I would classify as a 'calm conversation'.

I'm not saying she was right/wrong to be kicked off the flight, I'm merely saying if you don't listen to the FA's, you're off or worse. They have that power. And if you're someone who just wants to get home, why risk it and 'argue' after they told you twice/three times or more to do something.

You can't say this isn't happening.
PACLipper and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
There were two passengers travelling with two seats. Provided that both items physically fit underneath the seat, there should've been enough place for both.

Originally Posted by Greenpen
What would a dog (or anything else) die in an overhead locker? They are part of the cabin so provided no (human) passengers died on the same flight there may be other reasons?
If I start the engine in a closed garage that's connected to the rest of the house, I will eventually die even though the garage is not airtight while people in the rest of the house will be fine. A dog in an overhead locker will eventually use up all the oxygen available and there's not enough air circulation to provide fresh air. Of course, there may be other reason why the dog died (some have been mentioned already) but that doesn't change the fact that animals don't belong up there.

If the case was too big to fit underneath the seat, then the F/A should've deplaned the family citing the need to insure everyone's safety. The family may have been angry about it but the dog would've been alive. If the case fitted underneath the seat, then I frankly don't see any reason why the F/A did what the F/A did.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by WorldLux; Mar 13, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Was the dog a service animal or ESA? I didn't think UA allowed pets in the cabin anymore, they all had to go as cargo.
You're mistaken. Not only does UA permit pets (in carriers) to ride in the passenger cabin, but it's a source of revenue for UA. See the link in Post #10 .
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Why has nobody asked about the passengers here? First, when the FA tells you to do something idiotic like putting the dog in the overhead doesn't a concerned owner complain vs. just complying? Next, iif you can somehow get past the part where the FA tells you to put the dog in the overhead do you then NT check on it for the whole flight? This whole thing sounds totally unbelievable.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
There were two passengers travelling with two seats. Provided that both items physically fit underneath the seat, there should've been enough place for both.
If you assume that mom and daughter didn't have any other personal items under the seats, which is unreasonable IMO.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Why has nobody asked about the passengers here? First, when the FA tells you to do something idiotic like putting the dog in the overhead doesn't a concerned owner complain vs. just complying? Next, iif you can somehow get past the part where the FA tells you to put the dog in the overhead do you then NT check on it for the whole flight? This whole thing sounds totally unbelievable.
Totally unbelievable? Suggest you read the statement of the (apparently disinterested) witness seated in the row behind. The statement is contained in the One Mile At A Time article linked in Post #6 .
PACLipper and jinglish like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.