Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Under the watchful eyes of the FAA, the FAs are there to save us from ourselves. If the FA says to put your dog in the overhead bin, it must be fine to do so; it's not just encouraged, but demanded. Refusing FA demands (in order to not kill your dog, as if you knew that is what would happen) will result in eviction and threats of arrest.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:31 am

I understand the rules. But i believe that a misunderstanding occurred. The FAA would never intentionally put a live animal in danger. I would politely remind them that its a live animal. The animal cannot talk. If we do not love/protect them, then no one else would.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by raehl311
If you hear a dog whimpering in the overhead bin, and you allow that situation to continue until the dog dies, that's your fault. Every person, including anyone telling the story. So that person who tweeted about it? They are equally to blame.

If I were on that flight that carrier would have been out of the overhead bin the second the seatbelt sign was off, if I hadn't noticed before take-off.

The airline is not at fault here. Take some responsibility for yourself.
agree with you, but the entire environment regarding FA's is threats towards passengers of being thrown in jail or other disciplinary action by the authorities if you don't listen to every word a FA tells you, regardless of whatever that may be. (myself would have never ever put an animal in the bin and would have said I would leave the plane instead, or disobeyed the FA if inflight and kept the dog under the seat, but maybe thats b/c I know what the actual policy is).
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by preciousharley
I know everyone blames the airline. But I blame the owners. There is no way anyone can ask me to put any dog in the airline bin above my seat and treat the dog like luggage. The owner did not even have the brains to fight for the dog and now they blame the airlines. Why even cry when they din't insist to the flight crew that we have a live animal The owner in my opinion shares the blame. I'm disgusted that everyone blames the airline. I love my dog very much. I would rather get kicked off the plane then have my dog suffer. The owner is not a dog lover, there is no reason why they did not speak up. At the very least after the plane took off the owner should have had the brain to open the bin and put the dog on their lap. Hello people.
I blame the airline 100%. They were in the position of legal authority and responsibility. Period. We don’t know why the passenger didn’t get off the plane. Maybe they thought it would be hugely expensive. Whatever. The FA told them to do something against airline policy. As UA admitted, the FA was told but didn’t realize it was a dog. If they didn’t ignore passengers maybe they would have known it was a dog.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by CALMSP
agree with you, but the entire environment regarding FA's is threats towards passengers of being thrown in jail or other disciplinary action by the authorities if you don't listen to every word a FA tells you, regardless of whatever that may be. (myself would have never ever put an animal in the bin and would have said I would leave the plane instead, or disobeyed the FA if inflight and kept the dog under the seat, but maybe thats b/c I know what the actual policy is).
-------
You keep making it sound like passengers are in a concentration camp the minute they get on an airplane and are unable to think, reason, make decisions. If this passenger didn't have enough sense to remove her dog or at the very least check on it, how would she have any inkling that a FA is to be "feared" or that jack-booted authorities are going to stomp on and arrest anyone that speaks up or objects to INHUMANE suggestions ?? The passenger is at fault whether it be the language barrier (leaving it up to the 11-year-old to be the interpreter) or pure ignorance. She made a decision for herself, her 11-year-old, her infant and her dog to take the flight. Therefore, she is/ was responsible for what is happening to herself, her 11 year old, her infant AND HER DOG for the 3+ hours on the flight - same as if she was driving her family mini-van - you don't just throw your kids and dog in the back of a mini-van and never check on them as you go along.
As well, (you said it yourself)......as an observer you would not have let this happen to your dog, you would have spoke up and removed the dog from the bin or got off the airplane, etc.........What were the fellow passenger Instagram and Facebook posters doing or saying as this was unfolding ? - obviously nothing - they were only critical and horrified when it was too late. Sorry, everyone was passive in this deal and it wasn't the flight attendant. Observers of a crime or harm to another human or animal who (knowingly) do nothing are just as guilty and/or complicit. Having a conscience means you help or call for help. They can spin it any way they want as this is the 'blame the other guy', 'turn a blind eye' mentality we live in. The Dao incident is no excuse either to be afraid to object to harm to yourself, loved ones, pets, etc. -- you are exaggerating that the Dao incident put more people in fear of flight attendants - there have been so many more incidents on airplanes since then and I haven't seen anyone brutally mishandled even when belligerent, loud, abusive and physical towards crew and other passengers. Good grief, when will people stop feigning ignorance and blindness to the basic, fundamental responsibility that they should assume ?
fly18725, JVPhoto and chermorg like this.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Mar 18, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-------
You keep making it sound like passengers are in a concentration camp the minute they get on an airplane and are unable to think, reason, make decisions. If this passenger didn't have enough sense to remove her dog or at the very least check on it, how would she have any inkling that a FA is to be "feared" or that jack-booted authorities are going to stomp on and arrest anyone that speaks up or objects to INHUMANE suggestions ?? The passenger is at fault whether it be the language barrier (leaving it up to the 11-year-old to be the interpreter) or pure ignorance. She made a decision for herself, her 11-year-old, her infant and her dog to take the flight. Therefore, she is/ was responsible for what is happening to herself, her 11 year old, her infant AND HER DOG for the 3+ hours on the flight - same as if she was driving her family mini-van - you don't just throw your kids and dog in the back of a mini-van and never check on them as you go along.
This reminds me of a “Point - Counterpoint” on SNL back in the 70’s where Dan Ackroyd said something like “they decided to buy their tickets so they’re responsible if the plane crashes”.
Thunderroad, ashill and cairns like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

I blame the airline 100%. They were in the position of legal authority and responsibility. Period. We don’t know why the passenger didn’t get off the plane. Maybe they thought it would be hugely expensive. Whatever. The FA told them to do something against airline policy. As UA admitted, the FA was told but didn’t realize it was a dog. If they didn’t ignore passengers maybe they would have known it was a dog.
Ahhh yes I can see it now. All 150 pax are given 1:1 attention by FAs until they aren’t nestled in their seats. Boarding time will now start 3 hours before scheduled departure.

If the woman’s daughter had a peanut allergy and asked the FA if the snack mix with no peanuts in it has peanuts and the FA says no but the passenger doesn’t read the package to see that it says “made in a facility that processes peanuts” is it 100% the FA’s fault the kid has an allergic reaction.

I know it’s a strange concept in 2018 and living in a litigious culture but there’s still a thing called personal responsibility.
FlyingNone and chermorg like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Elected officials in New York and animal rights activists organized a protest rally at LGA against United today:
'Dog-in' protest at LaGuardia following death of dog on United Airlines flight | abc7ny.com
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by aoumd
Elected officials in New York and animal rights activists organized a protest rally at LGA against United today:
'Dog-in' protest at LaGuardia following death of dog on United Airlines flight | abc7ny.com
Hopefully this protest plus a couple of lawsuits will be the straws that break the dogs back. No more pets in the cabin. Cargo only. Sorry, pet owners, your mongrel will have to go in the cargo hold or else stay home.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by preciousharley
I understand the rules. But i believe that a misunderstanding occurred. The FAA would never intentionally put a live animal in danger. I would politely remind them that its a live animal. The animal cannot talk. If we do not love/protect them, then no one else would.
According to multiple witnesses, the family repeatedly told the FA it was a dog in the carrier. She either tuned them out or didn't care, but did insist on the dog carrier going into the overhead bin.

As for the FAA, here's the Federal Aviation Administration has to say about pets in the cabin:
What are the FAA rules regarding traveling with pets in the passenger cabin?
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) allows each airline to decide if they will allow you to travel with your pet in the passenger cabin. If an airline does allow you to bring your pet into the cabin, we consider your pet container to be carry-on baggage and you must follow all carry on baggage rules (14 CFR part 121, section 121.589):
  • Your pet container must be small enough to fit underneath the seat without blocking any person's path to the main aisle of the airplane.
  • Your pet container must be stowed properly before the last passenger entry door to the airplane is closed in order for the airplane to leave the gate.
  • Your pet container must remain properly stowed the entire time the airplane is moving on the airport surface, and for take off and landing.
  • You must follow flight attendant instructions regarding the proper stowage of your pet container.
So according to federal regulations, passengers are required to do with the FA tells them to do with the pet carrier.

That rule may be why United stepped up and assumed full responsibility for the dog's death: the passengers were complying with federal regulations and their employee was not.
GadgetFreak likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
550 posts later...

So anyone seen the result of the necropsy?

Or figured out who actually put the dog in the bin?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I find it interesting all these posts with being thrown in jail for not following a FA instructions - any actual examples of someone thrown in jail who clearly didn't deserve to be thrown in jail such as fighting on the plane, trying to open emergency exit - making threats, etc.....I'd love to hear about all these people thrown in jail who didn't deserve it - and last I checked, none of the airline crew can have you thrown in jail - that is not the decision of the crew.

So much drama on here.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto

Ahhh yes I can see it now. All 150 pax are given 1:1 attention by FAs until they aren’t nestled in their seats. Boarding time will now start 3 hours before scheduled departure.

If the woman’s daughter had a peanut allergy and asked the FA if the snack mix with no peanuts in it has peanuts and the FA says no but the passenger doesn’t read the package to see that it says “made in a facility that processes peanuts” is it 100% the FA’s fault the kid has an allergic reaction.

I know it’s a strange concept in 2018 and living in a litigious culture but there’s still a thing called personal responsibility.
The FA is legally in charge. I don’t understand why everyone wants to blame the victim.
ashill likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

The FA is legally in charge. I don’t understand why everyone wants to blame the victim.
-------------
I too don't understand.....why many want to blame the FA/United for the passenger's lack of responsibility.
Please just refer back to my comment (#545) above, I don't feel like repeating it......and yes, you are all entitled to your perception or viewpoint.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mduell
So anyone seen the result of the necropsy?
I wonder what they did with the carcass? It probably took some time to get everything sorted out after landing and by then the stench of the rotting carcass was probably significant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.