Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What a Mess of a Day....BUR-SFO (UA) SFO-IST(Turkish) award booking.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What a Mess of a Day....BUR-SFO (UA) SFO-IST(Turkish) award booking.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'm not sure what OP means by "waitlist" for business on LHR-IST. You can't be waitlisted on an award segment on TK to my knowledge. So I'm glad the OP pushed UA to force the "waitlist" immediately while still at LAX. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure OP's family would have wound up in coach on that segment.

242 and 243 were the sequence numbers for that flight for OP's family. Someone on there should/would have been printed "See Agent" or something like that to get seat assignments in LHR.

-RM
sorry for the confusion it was the lax-lhr (ua) that would have been waitlisted.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Everything. This was their delay. They are to rebook the flyer (properly) because its their delay. Whether that be at BUR or when the OP eventually got to SFO and missed their flight.

Lesson: Never leave the counter without a new ticket number. A reservation is never enough.
Got it! Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Lesson: Never leave the counter without a new ticket number. A reservation is never enough.
True, though there are situations where you're time pressured and have to cut corners (not sure on the timing on this one). But if you do, it's best to monitor the reservation and make sure it gets reissued.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Everything. This was their delay. They are to rebook the flyer (properly) because its their delay. Whether that be at BUR or when the OP eventually got to SFO and missed their flight.

Actually they were given new ticket numbers, TK would see the ticket number but not the reservation.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amil
Actually they were given new ticket numbers, TK would see the ticket number but not the reservation.
That doesn't really make much sense. (I'm not disputing your story; I just don't understand what the TK staff were doing). If they had ticket numbers, and TK could see the ticket numbers, they could have constructed the reservation within their system to match what was on the ticket, assuming the ticket was in a valid state. That's fairly standard practice.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
That doesn't really make much sense. (I'm not disputing your story; I just don't understand what the TK staff were doing). If they had ticket numbers, and TK could see the ticket numbers, they could have constructed the reservation within their system to match what was on the ticket, assuming the ticket was in a valid state. That's fairly standard practice.

That is why the United LAX agent was frustrated with TK and their lack of cooperation.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick update: When they got to the Turkish Counter from LHR. TK informed them that since they were standby business customers they did not prepare enough J meals for them and that they would be served something different then the rest of the J cabin.

Overall talk about a serious bunch of BS. Should I complain to United?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Well yeah.... this is kinda all their fault...
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Just a quick update: When they got to the Turkish Counter from LHR. TK informed them that since they were standby business customers they did not prepare enough J meals for them and that they would be served something different then the rest of the J cabin.

about TK serving a different meal? Complain to United? Save your complaints to something substantial if you can. If you dilute your concerns with small nuisances like this you won't get as far as you think. UA's responsibility ends at some point and IMO it did. TK was difficult and UA did what they could to get the pax to their destination in the cabin they booked. Sounds like this is what happened ... let it go
Kmxu likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
what can be done next time if there is a next time.
It seems that OP has got all the questions answered. It is a good learning experience for others, too.
I agree that UA handled the situation pretty well, considering the difficult partner (TK).
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:01 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
BTW - link to the *A Employee Portal:

Reference Guide - Airports Information - Irregular Operations Handling

http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com/ticketing.html

Involuntary
  • When an airline undergoes a schedule change or encounters an irregularity in accordance with the general provisions of IATA Resolution 735D, the Star Alliance member carriers agree to grant airport control (and thereby waive the endorsement requirement) for the following:
  • A. Non-restricted tickets;
  • B. Restricted tickets;
  • C. Frequent flyer redemption tickets. After schedule changes, rebookings are made with Star Allliance carriers according to redemption seat availability.

And BTW - it clearly says rebooking needs to happen to a redemption class (so 'I' inventory).
laxmillenial likes this.

Last edited by TPJ; Mar 6, 2018 at 7:07 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I agree that UA handled the situation pretty well, considering the difficult partner (TK).
Especially considering this was an AP ticket. UA really did handle this one well. TK is known for being awful with IRROPS.

The other lesson here is about booking SFO international connections when flying UAX. It's very risky especially during months that are prone to weather (i.e., December through February and July/August).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.