Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Quick question, I could just shift my trip another day, I saw this 1800 ewr to lhr for Tuesday, but I do not understand the strange seat map, what is it ?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Quick question, I could just shift my trip another day, I saw this 1800 ewr to lhr for Tuesday, but I do not understand the strange seat map, what is it ?
That is the new 763 with the true polaris seat -- for discussion on best seat choices, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...aris-seat.html
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is the new 763 with the true polaris seat -- for discussion on best seat choices, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...aris-seat.html
Ah, is it worth swapping to ?thx
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, is it worth swapping to ?thx
The seat is nicer than either of the previously discussed options. If switching, I would choose 7A or 9A/L.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As there are existing, comprehensive threads on seat choices for each aircraft configuration, let's keep the discussion on seat choices in those threads.
See this master listing to find the appropriate thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by transportprof
You'll get the Fauxlaris experience.
I love this!!!!!!! Pseudolaris could fly to.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
1K Flying SFO to SLC tomorrow and only 2 F seats sold (out of 6) at T30'ish. Even I couldn't apply an RPU to this short flight so I figure I will roll the dice on a CPU. Well per typical UA, still no release of the F seats. I suspect I will get the buy up offer at check in and MAYBE get upgraded after boarding, if I am very lucky. I am virtually never granted an upgrade until well sub T24, this "up to" 96 hours prior to flight is pure fantasy. Per usual, YMMV.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nomad420
1K Flying SFO to SLC tomorrow and only 2 F seats sold (out of 6) at T30'ish. Even I couldn't apply an RPU to this short flight so I figure I will roll the dice on a CPU. Well per typical UA, still no release of the F seats. I suspect I will get the buy up offer at check in and MAYBE get upgraded after boarding, if I am very lucky. I am virtually never granted an upgrade until well sub T24, this "up to" 96 hours prior to flight is pure fantasy. Per usual, YMMV.
I echo your sentiments. Flying SFO-ORD on UA 248 on Friday, 4/6/18. T-70 hours, F9, A6, JN9, C7, D7, Z3, ZN3, P1, PN1, Y9, YN9, B9, M9. E9, U6, H3, HN0, Q2

Economy seat map is full - as in I cannot change seats from 31B. Six people have cleared into F, although these were cleared eight days in advance - well before T-96. (I checked before booking.) I keep hoping that instead of selling more Y seats they'll bump me (or someone else) up to the front so I can get out of my E- middle seat.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Well heading to SFO soon and still #1 on the upgrade list and 2 open F seats on flight to SLC. I guess they think they will sell it. If not I MAY get upgraded post boarding. For me this is VERY typical out of SFO. This is but one example why I am not impressed with 1K status. If you're not GS you are but a small hoof above cattle here.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomad420
Well heading to SFO soon and still #1 on the upgrade list and 2 open F seats on flight to SLC. I guess they think they will sell it. If not I MAY get upgraded post boarding. For me this is VERY typical out of SFO. This is but one example why I am not impressed with 1K status. If you're not GS you are but a small hoof above cattle here.
how did it work out for you ?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:23 am
Original Poster

My RPU cleared 2 weeks prior to my PBI to LHR on 1st April. Got seat 1A on 763. Must say, it was an awesome experience - first time in business class on a lay flat seat. Kind of addicted to it now.

I managed to book one way LHR to PBI via IAH for apr 11th, using just 60k points and $300 ( good deal right ?) - it is a 777-200 , so got seat 8E ( the best one, so I read)

quick question, does the 1K booking M class give automatic upgrade to business on TATL , or just domestic? I just tried out a round trip on the app to test it ( lhr to pbi 11 april , returning say 17th Nov for $2k) but when you go through to seat selection, prior to purchasing, it only lets you select E+ seats.

Thx
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
quick question, does the 1K booking M class give automatic upgrade to business on TATL , or just domestic?
CPU eligible routes only, and requires PN space.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to add, the ability to change award ticket for free as 1K is awesome!

I was originally booked in E+ on award for 30k and $195. After that outbound, I REALLY wanted Business class again for return. So I changed to the 10.05 am as it was the only one showing 60k points,.all the other flights were 155k!! For the last 4 days, I have checked it 5/6 times per day, and it is unbelievable how often it changes around. I changed from the 10.05 from lhr to ewr, to the 1200. Then next day the one I am on now, changed from 155k to 60k, so I changed to that. 4 changes in 4 days, no hassle, no cost !! Now I get to try the 777-200 and compare it to the 763
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:10 pm

how did it work out for you ?
Sorry to get back so late. Posted it elsewhere but as expected got upgraded after I actually boarded. The literally walked me from one side of the curtain to the other. Not complaining a CPU is a CPU but always irritating the way they string you out to the last minute.. BTW, got upgraded on the return at T24. Didn't use an RPU on this flight as I have had previous luck with CPUs on this route out of SFO and back.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:27 pm

My RPU cleared 2 weeks prior to my PBI to LHR on 1st April.
Using an RPU on a TATL flight!?!? When did that become a 1K benefit? Or, was this an April Fools joke?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.