Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racial profiling by United premier rep

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jsloan
Your implicit assumption is that all three of your possibilities are equally likely.
correct. I’m simply noting that racism could be one of the reasons the agent assumed the passenger was in the wrong line.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
What other reason would the agent make the assumption? I see only 3 possible reasons - a passenger's age, how the passenger is dressed, and the their skin color. One of of three, the agent was making a racist assumption.
Previous person(s) stood on the wrong line, so the agent made an assumption.

The agent was having a bad morning, so dismissed the flyer with rudeness.

Could have been a number of reasons, but w/o substantiation, best not to play the race card. File a report for sure, for bad customer service.
Loren Pechtel and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
United agents are notorious for trying to boot you over to a kiosk, not because they are racial profiling, but because they are lazy. Some go as far as to make up some garbage rules like “you must use the kiosk first, and I’m not allowed to help you”.
My wife did experience this when in reality she needed help from an agent. You would think that when you deplane from Polaris Business in ORD and have some problem, the person manning the line would let you talk to an agent.

But, then, things like this happens in every airline. Three years ago, my wife managed to get a First Class ticket from LHR to PEK on BA in First Class. She arrives at LHR near the Business Class check-in. Even though there was a line there, a BA employee tells her here is where she needs to go. My wife points to First Class check-in way to the right, the BA person says no, here is where you need to go. That day my wife chose to ignore the BA employee and went to the First Class check-in. Coming back from it with her boarding pass in her hand, she had to pass again near that BA employee. He did apologize.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, being a visible minority myself, I understand this...and there is some sensitivity on our part in these situations. In the 90s, we ran into this sending off my father on an AC flight in Montreal - the agent just told us to line up in the Y queue when we had a J ticket.

I have had a case where the FA only did half of the exit row briefing "you are sitting at an exit row" and expected me to say yes. When I hesitated, waiting for the question, she asked me if I understood her.

Then some time later, I ran into some UA employees who had "Diversity and Inclusion" polo shirts on. So, I wrote to 1kvoice and asked them to follow up with that group

UA should definitely train their employees to be better on this front. It is a global airline and they should act accordingly. Another thing I think they need to fix is how fast some FAs speak on the PA. How do you expect those whose first language is not English to follow?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I totally agree. But to dismiss the possibility outright is simply nonsensical.
Sorry but from where I'm sitting, assuming it from the start is what's nonsensical. There are a number of factors that could have led the GA to assume the OP wasn't in the right line. Not having been there, I don't know if any of them fit the case but it's a possibility.
Immediately after 9/11, I was active duty military with a bunch of guys who would travel internationally frequently. They all told me that they were selected for secondary security checks about half the time they were traveling on military orders. Of course, the fact they were traveling on military orders shouldn't have shown on their tickets or boarding passes. The guys who looked Scandanavian or Celtic were picked no less frequently than the ones with darker skin.

Of course, the best policy for anyone -- customer service or not -- is to just not assume but there's no reason to immediately jump to racial profiling as an explanation.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
I am a youngish looking, albeit no longer young , Asian. This is almost routine for me. They often use gestures and simple English words as if I cannot understand English. I just ignore it, check in and move on. Not worth my effort to fight it.
ditto. Happens all the time at sfo and ewr. Ive learned to just move on. Not worth getting upset, they’re just trying to do their job.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Repooc17

Could have been a number of reasons, but w/o substantiation, best not to play the race card. File a report for sure, for bad customer service.
I've never seen the phrase "the race card" used outside of a Fox News-ism for "You're making people uncomfortable by recognizing race exists." I agree that OP should file a complaint, but see no reason not to include the basis for what he perceived as the issue.

I get that about 1 time in 10 at SFO. I'm white, middle aged, and clean cut.
I get it about 8 times out of 10 at any US airport, despite precheck. Never had it at SFO though. But mentioning I'm a brown guy of South Asian descent makes some people uncomfortable.

Who would you file a report? 1K voice?
Yes, though I don't think it would hurt to drop them a line on Twitter as well, if you use the platform.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Given the staffer did nothing to disparage your ethnicity or race..doesn't the fact that you assume bad customer service is automatically linked to your ethnicity indicate that you're yourself rather self-conscious about matching a certain profile. I can't look into that staffer's head, but I have a hunch that people of all sorts of background get crappy customer service from United (United is the only airline where a staffer ever got loud with me and I'm a white European male).
agree. let it go and move on.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Sorry but from where I'm sitting, assuming it from the start is what's nonsensical. There are a number of factors that could have led the GA to assume the OP wasn't in the right line. Not having been there, I don't know if any of them fit the case but it's a possibility.
There are several reasons the customer service rep could have made the assumption this individual wasn’t a 1K. One of them could have been racism, and for you to dismiss it outright suggests you haven’t been paying attention to our culture and our society.
iluv2fly, muji and chavala like this.

Last edited by halls120; Feb 11, 2018 at 4:10 am
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
I'm a middle aged, blue eyed, pale skinned Scandinavian. I used to travel upwards of 100-150 days a year, mainly long-haul and always in J or F (if I had miles to burn on upgrades). My first and only priority when travelling is comfort, and I therefore dressed as comfy as possible; jeans, t-shirt, sneakers and sweater. I've lost count of times I was 'mistaken' for monkey class riff-raff, having experienced attempts to turn me away from F/J check-in, priority security, lounges, priority boarding and even from turning left when entering the aircraft. Not once did I link this with racial profiling, regardless of whether it took place in Africa, the Middle East, SE Asia or the Far East.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
I'm a middle aged, blue eyed, pale skinned Scandinavian. I used to travel upwards of 100-150 days a year, mainly long-haul and always in J or F (if I had miles to burn on upgrades). My first and only priority when travelling is comfort, and I therefore dressed as comfy as possible; jeans, t-shirt, sneakers and sweater. I've lost count of times I was 'mistaken' for monkey class riff-raff, having experienced attempts to turn me away from F/J check-in, priority security, lounges, priority boarding and even from turning left when entering the aircraft. Not once did I link this with racial profiling, regardless of whether it took place in Africa, the Middle East, SE Asia or the Far East.
No one is claiming that racism was the sole reason this UA rep made the assumption that the passenger wasn’t 1K. The reason you cite is probably the most likely explanation. That said, the representative made an assumption about that person’s status. Whether it was based on the way he was dressed, his age, or, yes the color of his skin, we don’t know. All are possible, and for people to assume that it couldn’t have been racism are just being blind to reality.
iluv2fly and RandomBaritone like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:13 am

UA Premier Access at IAD is particularly aggressive about ensuring that a passenger belongs there to the point an agent will block a passenger's path and ask several questions to determine eligibility. I have seen this occur with all kinds of passengers. It is irritating, but on the other hand the practice keeps the area open to those who belong there.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by lamphs
UA Premier Access at IAD is particularly aggressive about ensuring that a passenger belongs there to the point an agent will block a passenger's path and ask several questions to determine eligibility. I have seen this occur with all kinds of passengers. It is irritating, but on the other hand the practice keeps the area open to those who belong there.
I support this practice. CSRs should monitor access to premier/1K, and they have been aggressive at IAD for a long time. I've been challenged many times there, and all I do is show my MP card and I'm let in. That's fine. Making assumptions based on appearance is not.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I support this practice. CSRs should monitor access to premier/1K, and they have been aggressive at IAD for a long time. I've been challenged many times there, and all I do is show my MP card and I'm let in. That's fine. Making assumptions based on appearance is not.
One important thing is when they challenge, they should really ask the right questions. Some just ask "First? Business?" and I usually play along and say no. Then when they are ready to re-direct me, I say 1K
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
... this is where things started to get ugly
9:32am: My turn comes, I walk towards the check-in counter and hear the United rep shouting towards me (I'm the only person there) "this line is for F and 1K passengers only, you need to go there" pointing at the Economy check-in, I kept walking towards the lady in the 1K check-in counter and the lady kept persisting that I belong in the economy check-in before even validating ID, ticket or class. I responded and asked her "how do you know I'm not F or 1K passenger?" and she mumbled something to herself. At this point I told her I'm flying F and 1K, and she printed my ticket...
I personally see NOTHING in the above encounter that would indicate that the t/a was raciest, although she just might be one.

When I brought my son over here 7 years ago from Thailand, being very dark complected, he was also super self conscious, and mentioned to me several times that he was different, and I could tell that he was extremely upset about this fact, and it bothered him a lot. As time went on, and he went thru high school, and starred on the soccer team, he adjusted and fit in very well. There was a small group of affluent punks that continually ganged up on him, but he ignored them and things moved on without a hitch. He didn't report them to the dean, he just took the high road, and now he is in college, and has adjusted to America very well.

The OP just needs to blow off little things like being told to move to another line, and quit assuming that it is because of his race that he was dissed. ...and as others have mentioned, these agents are lazy, and it is their m.o. to automatically direct EVERYONE somewhere else so that they can just "Hang Out!"

Naw! The OP was treated just like EVERYONE else who gets assisted by this t/a, so in that respect he is just a regular UA pax, and he should feel honored that he gets handled just like the rest of us!
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 11, 2018 at 11:38 am Reason: repaired quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.