Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Routes featuring the B763 Polaris seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
767-300s with Polaris Seats: Which Routes?

Apologies if there’s a thread for this already. I know United’s started reconfiguring these planes, but I’ve not had any luck finding the routes that they fly on. Anyone here have more insight into this?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 2018 at 2:46 pm Reason: move to exisiting thread
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
767-300s with Polaris Seats: Which Routes?
There are no announced set routes yet. The rumor is they will just be integrated into the present routes of the non-converted (previously 3-class 763s) planes and with time the 3-class 763 will disappear.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The answer is right above your post in the recent thread you've been merged into.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Anyone who has flown them care to comment on the experience? My heart breaks for the loss of the GF seats every time a new bird enters at HKG -- how does the new cabin compare?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by onthesam
Anyone who has flown them care to comment on the experience? ...
There are a few, not many, first-hand experiences in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...aris-seat.html.
The seat is essentially the same as the 773 in a slightly different config - only 1 column of seats in the middle as the 763 was before.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Are we still only at 4 planes? IAD-GVA seems to get them relatively frequently, so here's hoping!

(corrected - looks like we have 6 now)

Last edited by ironmanjt; Apr 2, 2018 at 9:46 am
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:21 pm

Anyone who has flown them care to comment on the experience? My heart breaks for the loss of the GF seats every time a new bird enters at HKG -- how does the new cabin compare?
Flew it SCL-IAH. Great way to configure a 767 - hands down the best biz class seating on a 767. Legroom is good, feels more spacious while seated than the CO 2x1x2 layout.

It's not a 3 cabin first class seat - no biz class eat is - but found it more private than the AA 773 first class seat I sat in on the way down. Couldn't sleep well in that seat.

My gripe was non functioning power ports.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

true - too bad Boeing didn’t design the 777 8-10 inches narrower.
Then it would b 9 across and about as uncomfortable as a 787. (Maybe just maybe that extra 8-10 inches (of the 18 extra currently) would have been used for seat width)
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
For my flight in June LHR-SFO, I believe it is the B763 with Polaris seating - or at least that is what the seat map shows. I will be slumming it in Y (unless the GPU comes through)
Least slummy long-haul Y seat though.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Looks like IAD-IAH 8am flight tomorrow has a retrofitted 767.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
While there are no "dedicated" routes for the Polaris 763s, I've been tracking their usage and they seam to be making a strong presence in South America, especially between IAH and GIG / GRU / SCL. They are also frequently used between IAD and South America, although not as frequent as IAH. They seem so regular on these routes that I tend to think it is more than strictly coincidence.

I'm unfamiliar with these routes. Are they business heady routes that would demand the Polaris, heavier than EWR / ORD to LHR?
Old May 10, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: United Gold
whats interesting is the routes they have never/rarely been assigned to, e.g, ORD-LHR. This seems to essentially confirm what is perhaps operationally obvious - they're using them to swap the 2-class not 3-class 763s.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Being that the seat count is different on the 3 class 763s, it makes sense to keep them on dedicated routes, and the LHR routes are probably the only ones with enough service that could use all of the remaining 3 class planes.

From a business standpoint, it actually makes sense to hold of on a promise [of Polaris seats] that could be broken and there is no cost [revenue loss] of not promising such.

If they decide to continue with the conversions of the 763s and do the two class planes after the three class planes are complete, it would be easier operationally to offer a few dedicated routes after they get even more planes done, but I'm not expecting that to actually happen.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by phkc070408
If they decide to continue with the conversions of the 763s and do the two class planes after the three class planes are complete
I suspect they'll focus first on the three class 772s. First order of business is getting GF out of the fleet.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:42 am

My heart is definitely taking a beating seeing the United First Suite and IPTE United Business products being removed out of the 3-class 767-300ER fleet.

I got the reconfigured aircraft a few weeks back and I was really sad - yes, Economy is improved (a la the other 2-cabin 767s), but the loss of the rearward facing business class 2-2-2 is sad. It feels like the end of an era. I said this before but I'll say it again because I want to - Landing in a Christmas-card perfect snowy Geneva or Zurich from row 3, facing rearward and having the distinct privilege to watch the huge engine flex on landing felt like something really special. That novelty is now gone, forever.

So is sitting in seat 1K in F - a huge wall partition, and curtains behind you for the crew rest. I still haven't decided whether 1K on the 744 was better. They are [were?] both literally as good as it gets on United. The old F suite is still miles larger (and more comfortable) than the new Biz seat, in every way.

The Zodiac business seats are much appreciated, though they are still shorter than the old IPTE seats that are being replaced, and your legs are forced into a large cubby that the old biz seats did not have. The screens are nice. But on a whole, the IPTE 763 still feels more relaxed and open cabin wise - there's a crossover point, the aisles aren't as wide, has a relaxed entry lobby into door 1, and better placed toilets, all things the new Polaris cabin lacks (not great).

In sum, I'm really sad to see it go. Bonvoyage to the 67I IPTE. Thanks for the memories.
onthesam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.