Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NYT Article - She Boarded a Plane to See Her Dying Mother. Then Her Ticket Was Cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYT Article - She Boarded a Plane to See Her Dying Mother. Then Her Ticket Was Cancel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure, but if the passenger screws the TA on payment then the TA loses in this arrangement.

The travel agent clearly screwed up here. But the optics of it suck.
Solution - if the TA is cancelling due to a contract violation they would be required to provide United with the contract agreed to by the customer and proof it was violated (i.e. the chargeback claim from the CC company, the refund receipt, etc).
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
The travel agent clearly screwed up here. But the optics of it suck.
Yup. A much more useful article might have been "why you should never use a an online travel agent". Many of us have learned that the hard way, yet I don't recall ever seeing an article warning about the many ways things can go wrong with OTAs.
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:22 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by nerd
The article blames the TA more than it blames United.
Well, the headline is "...then her ticket was canceled".

Not, "her travel agent canceled her ticket". That's a little bit of a passive statement leading people to wonder who did it when the answer is in fact known, yes?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
Well, the headline is "...then her ticket was canceled".

Not, "her travel agent canceled her ticket". That's a little bit of a passive statement leading people to wonder who did it when the answer is in fact known, yes?
"Passive Voice Frequently Seen in News Headlines"

I would say the title invites the reader to learn more.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by chermorg

The fact the article spends any time at all discussing the GA’s actions and that it repeatedly states she’s already seated when removed is poor editorialism as it invites comparison to Dr. Dao and invites readers to connect the actions directly to United’s judgement/decision, and not to the travel agency.
I know in the age of "fake news" being hurled around in misleading ways, lots of people can't see good journelism, but there is nothing wrong with the article. It reports Facts. Lady called UA to change flight, was told no issue, passanger boarded, no issue, was yanked off the plane while seated, landlord called UA, offered to pay, UA refused to put her back on the plane for unexplained reasons, UA called to send flowers (a nice touch, trying to get ahead of the story they knew was coming).

Poor woman gets messed over in a horrible way, and lots of blame to go around. That this resonates with (a) united beats passenger to take his seat from him, or (b) united steals seat from toddler, makes him sit on mom's lap for 7 hours, (c) United tosses people for wearing leggings, etc, is not the NYT's fault, its the fault of the airline that just can't seem to get its act together, and as such gets no breaks. United created this, United owns it.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by narvik
On the surface this seems correct, and obviously what the "article" was trying to elicit.

HOWEVER, with this cutesy scenario where UA lets this non-paying passenger fly, I just wonder how many sick & dying mothers will suddenly appear all across the USA?
It would be rife with abuse (think "emotional support animals").
I agree. However, in this case, the purchase WAS performed and then just unilaterally canceled by a third party based on a miscommunication or lack of communication between UA and that third party.

Line responders should be trained to recognize when the system is breaking down in limit situations like this and use sound judgment, just not blindly impose fatwas.

Again, I can understand United needs to get paid. But here, the situation would have required a bit more judgment. If that happened, UA would have come up on top. Now, not so much.

BTW, I am not saying UA is alone in that boat. Plenty of very stupid decisions taken every day in big organizations.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Like it or not, a United agent told the customer it would be no problem to modify an OTA ticket. The customer relied on United advice and was traumatized as a result.

Neither the TA nor UA are heroes here. A brutal corporate process at the TA and misinformation from UA combined to ruin things.

Let he who has never heard a UA employee make something up, state a falsehood due to ignorance or haste, etc. cast the first stone.

Misery perhaps compounded by a GA who was focused on deplaning the woman and dispatching the flight no matter what. I read these little employee-hero stories in the Southwest magazine every month in which Southwest GAs, FAs, station managers, etc. knock themselves out to take care of customers in dire situations like this. That impulse at UA, while not exactly nonexistent, doesn't get much press.
Thunderroad and lupine like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
My main question here...how was she allowed to modify her ticket direct with United? They generally won't touch a TA issued ticket.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
Picture of UNITED just below the headline: Have. To. Sell. Ads.

So the ticket purchaser changed the flight directly with United, then the travel agent cancelled the ticket thinking it was unauthorized?
Hardly United's fault.
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I agree, United may have many faults but I don't think they necessarily did anything wrong in this case.

The photo is there most likely because that's the only thing that makes sense unless they put the logo of the booking website.
United does have a fault here. They shouldn't be touching the agency reservation to begin with unless IRROPS.

Originally Posted by zymm
My main question here...how was she allowed to modify her ticket direct with United? They generally won't touch a TA issued ticket.
^
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by spin88
I know in the age of "fake news" being hurled around in misleading ways, lots of people can't see good journelism, but there is nothing wrong with the article. It reports Facts. Lady called UA to change flight, was told no issue, passanger boarded, no issue, was yanked off the plane while seated, landlord called UA, offered to pay, UA refused to put her back on the plane for unexplained reasons, UA called to send flowers (a nice touch, trying to get ahead of the story they knew was coming).

Poor woman gets messed over in a horrible way, and lots of blame to go around. That this resonates with (a) united beats passenger to take his seat from him, or (b) united steals seat from toddler, makes him sit on mom's lap for 7 hours, (c) United tosses people for wearing leggings, etc, is not the NYT's fault, its the fault of the airline that just can't seem to get its act together, and as such gets no breaks. United created this, United owns it.
It's takes a lot of spin to claim there is "nothing wrong". Let's make a tally:

1. Web address has United Airlines in it.
2. The first thing people see is a picture of a UA check-in desk
3. Caption of said photo says United Airlines removed her before saying it was canceled by the TA. That's true, but note what's stated first and connotation behind it.
4. Initial blame is placed on United because "they told her so".
5. The blame game continues at the end by punishing a good deed (flowers) that was all that could be done at that point, and quoting a claim that implies UA could have gotten her back on a plane without any evidence corroborating the claim.

This was exceptionally poor "journalism", but it's sadly not uncommon these days, particularly when an airline can be punished for clicks. What the media has done to UA and ignored for other airlines is disgraceful.

Originally Posted by seawolf
United does have a fault here. They shouldn't be touching the agency reservation to begin with unless IRROPS.
Putting it another way, UA went the extra mile for a customer and ended up getting burned by the TA. Imagine the backlash if the story was "UA refuses to change ticket so she could see her dying mother"?

Yep, no good deed goes unpunished.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bbmatt
she already boarded the flight... there should be some cut off where an airline doesn't remove someone AFTER boarding. The optics of this story for united are terrible...
I thought Oscar said they weren't doing that anymore except for safety/security issues?

Originally Posted by chermorg
I see no reason a travel agent needs the ability to unilaterally cancel a ticket (I say this knowing someone will prove me wrong).
Client credit/payment issues?
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by mduell

Client credit/payment issues?
I had this in another reply, but I don't see this as a big problem. I really doubt there's an epidemic of people attempting to snub their travel agency out of their plane ticket cost, and if they **do** file a chargeback/miss a payment/whatever it would be exceedingly simple for the TA to fax in the contract (or applicable portion) and proof of lack of payment before the airline would allow cancellation.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by spin88
It reports Facts. Lady called UA to change flight, was told no issue, passanger boarded, no issue, was yanked off the plane while seated, landlord called UA, offered to pay, UA refused to put her back on the plane for unexplained reasons,
(bolding mine)
Well, apparently it didn't report the facts too well then, as I read that a little different.
There's a total of 4 parties involved (5, if you count the mother): UA, travel agent, landlord and passenger. If I read correctly, the landlord booked the ticket with travel agent AND made then made a change with UA. UA said "no problem" and made the change BUT travel agent saw this change and unilaterally cancelled ticket. Passenger was removed from flight as ticket was cancelled before plane took off.
UA's position is (I have no idea if true or not) that landlord didn't offer to pay for new ticket until AFTER the plane had left (or likely left gate).

Originally Posted by mduell
I thought Oscar said they weren't doing that anymore except for safety/security issues?
THAT is a good point nevertheless!

Added:
BTW, a different question altogether: mother was in Minnesota, and passenger was going to fly from COS when ticket was canceled.
Why didn't she just drive to DEN and catch a plane from there (where she would have had to switch planes to MSP anyway.)
There were other options available other than "driving 1000 miles".

Last edited by narvik; Jan 26, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Clearly the optics are bad but ......

Suspect because all of this was the same day -- the booking, the change ... and the traveler's name was different from the credit card used --- fraud flags when off for the travel agency.

As for UA touching a TA ticket, UA will on the day of travel which this was (and will do for a fee prior to day of travel)

As for buying a new last-second ticket, it was probably well under the 30 minutes before departure, as the plane was boarded, when the systems will not allow a ticket to be purchased. So not a heartless refusal by the agent, the agent's, hands were tied.

Now all of the above is "inside air traveler knowledge " which is probably not known by the traveler, by the purchaser, by the article author -- but to the travel agent and airport agent these issues would raise concerns
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by BearX220
Neither the TA nor UA are heroes here.
They managed to have the landlord end up being the hero. Quite the accomplishment.
BearX220 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.