Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NYT Article - She Boarded a Plane to See Her Dying Mother. Then Her Ticket Was Cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYT Article - She Boarded a Plane to See Her Dying Mother. Then Her Ticket Was Cancel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe

lets get the policy straight because you only relayed half of it: UAs policy is not to remove passengers who have boarded except when safety/security is involved.

Yes, there is obviously a question of how the pax boarded and made it through security without a ticket, and that’s a separate thing. But especially in this day and age, flying without a ticket is most definitely a security issue, and likely safety, too (wouldn’t have been counted in weight and balance, what happens if something happens to the plane enroute and the pax isn’t on manifest, etc.). This is not specific to UA - not too long ago, an ANA flight turned back to LAX after four hours in the air because of a pax onboard that wasn’t on that flight.

I’m actually not sure why people keep mentioning Dao in this thread - that was a completely different situation with different circumstances. I don’t mean to sound unsympathetic to the pax here - it’s a really crappy situation that certainly wasn’t their fault. But comparing to Dao is a bit much. And asking the tens of other pax onboard, many of whom likely had their own connections to make, while they sorted out ticketing for 1 which, to be fair may have taken a few minutes, or may have taken much, much longer, isn’t really the answer either. Deciding to hold a plane happens sometimes (and is decided by ops, by the way, not a GA), but I don’t know if I’ve heard of it happening for untickefed pax.
However, saying that a boarded passenger's ticket is no longer valid would seem to be an easy way for an airline to avoid paying IDB/VDB and remove passengers who have already boarded with tickets that were valid at the time of boarding.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, saying that a boarded passenger's ticket is no longer valid would seem to be an easy way for an airline to avoid paying IDB/VDB and remove passengers who have already boarded with tickets that were valid at the time of boarding.
Except that would be a breach of contract - unless it was the passenger (or their representative) who canceled the ticket. Which is exactly what happened here.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
The ticket was cancelled though. It wasn't an easy way out by United. The ticket was cancelled by the Travel Agent, and that's a fact.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It wasn’t UA ‘saying’ the ticket was no longer valid, it actually wasn’t valid, because the travel agent canceled it. That’s why this happened. UA had nothing to do with it - it was the action of a very shady travel agent. We can debate things like ‘should a TA be able to cancel a ticket with pax checked in, onboard’, etc., or ‘should the GA have gone above and beyond to have it re-issued (without any payment guarantee)’, but there is no debate about the status of the ticket at the time and given that, the only thing the GA could do was to pull her off. End of story. Sucky situation for everyone, as I said, but there wasn’t really another option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.