FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   NYT Article - She Boarded a Plane to See Her Dying Mother. Then Her Ticket Was Cancel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1890516-nyt-article-she-boarded-plane-see-her-dying-mother-then-her-ticket-cancel.html)

sethMCOflyer Jan 26, 2018 8:47 am

NYT Article - She Boarded a Plane to See Her Dying Mother. Then Her Ticket Was Cancel

Didn't see anyone had posted this yet. Seems like yet another issue with third party booking sites misaligning with the airline. The booking site handled it poorly and United will take most of the blame.

https://nyti.ms/2GlaNiu

narvik Jan 26, 2018 9:00 am

Picture of UNITED just below the headline: Have. To. Sell. Ads.

So the ticket purchaser changed the flight directly with United, then the travel agent cancelled the ticket thinking it was unauthorized?
Hardly United's fault.

sethMCOflyer Jan 26, 2018 9:04 am

I agree, United may have many faults but I don't think they necessarily did anything wrong in this case.

The photo is there most likely because that's the only thing that makes sense unless they put the logo of the booking website.

narvik Jan 26, 2018 9:06 am

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer (Post 29342382)
The photo is there most likely because that's the only thing that makes sense unless they put the logo of the booking website.

I could think of MANY other options for a photo.

bbmatt Jan 26, 2018 9:27 am

she already boarded the flight... there should be some cut off where an airline doesn't remove someone AFTER boarding. The optics of this story for united are terrible...

chermorg Jan 26, 2018 9:30 am

I mean... There’s a better way to prevent this completely - require confirmation from both the travel agent *and* customer before a ticket is cancelled before flight departure. A travel agent can cancel a ticket, but if the passenger does not confirm it, and shows up at the airport as normal, the travel agent’s cancellation would mean nothing.

I see no reason a travel agent needs the ability to unilaterally cancel a ticket (I say this knowing someone will prove me wrong).

TA Jan 26, 2018 9:33 am

I think it's really poor quality journalism and furthermore, editorial discretion, for the NYT to publish this junk. Things like this happen to people every single day and they are not newsworthy. And to invite mischaracterizing the fault a United's is just irresponsible.

sbm12 Jan 26, 2018 9:37 am

Originally Posted by chermorg (Post 29342461)
I mean... There’s a better way to prevent this completely - require confirmation from both the travel agent *and* customer before a ticket is cancelled before flight departure. A travel agent can cancel a ticket, but if the passenger does not confirm it, and shows up at the airport as normal, the travel agent’s cancellation would mean nothing.

Sure, but if the passenger screws the TA on payment then the TA loses in this arrangement.

The travel agent clearly screwed up here. But the optics of it suck.

skidooman Jan 26, 2018 9:38 am

Originally Posted by chermorg (Post 29342461)

I see no reason a travel agent needs the ability to unilaterally cancel a ticket (I say this knowing someone will prove me wrong).

I am sure. But really, this is crass bureaucracy at work. Frequent fliers may know better, but why burden people with these types of paperwork gotchas?

Just talk to each other, solve the problem, don't just be schmucks and impose the onus on customers always.

United missed a good opportunity to do what is right here. It is a shame. It will cost them more than if someone did what was right.

And no I am not letting the travel agent off the hook. They need bad press too.

chermorg Jan 26, 2018 9:41 am

Originally Posted by skidooman (Post 29342490)
I am sure. But really, this is crass bureaucracy at work. Frequent fliers may know better, but why burden people with these types of paperwork gotchas?

Just talk to each other, solve the problem, don't just be schmucks and impose the onus on customers always.

United missed a good opportunity to do what is right here. It is a shame. It will cost them more than if someone did what was right.

And no I am not letting the travel agent off the hook. They need bad press too.

Yes, I do agree that United missed an opportunity to do something like what WN does in this instance (where people are allowed off first at landing, given a rerouted itinerary, and priority boarding, as well as sometimes free drinks/food) of family emergencies during travel.

That being said, why in hell is it permitted for the travel agency to do this in the first case? The travel agency was, quite frankly, a butthole to the woman. She should never have been put in this situation. In this case, she made the choice to drive, where if she’d spoken to the ticketing at the airport or called United they likely could have (and honestly I believe they would have) reinstated the ticket.

That doesn’t help anything once the plane has left, however. This is why it should have been prohibited for it to be cancelled anyway.

nerd Jan 26, 2018 9:46 am

Originally Posted by TA (Post 29342471)
I think it's really poor quality journalism and furthermore, editorial discretion, for the NYT to publish this junk. Things like this happen to people every single day and they are not newsworthy. And to invite mischaracterizing the fault a United's is just irresponsible.

The article blames the TA more than it blames United.

narvik Jan 26, 2018 9:47 am

Originally Posted by skidooman (Post 29342490)

On the surface this seems correct, and obviously what the "article" was trying to elicit.

HOWEVER, with this cutesy scenario where UA lets this non-paying passenger fly, I just wonder how many sick & dying mothers will suddenly appear all across the USA?
It would be rife with abuse (think "emotional support animals").

chermorg Jan 26, 2018 9:48 am

Originally Posted by nerd (Post 29342538)

The fact the article spends any time at all discussing the GA’s actions and that it repeatedly states she’s already seated when removed is poor editorialism as it invites comparison to Dr. Dao and invites readers to connect the actions directly to United’s judgement/decision, and not to the travel agency.

nerd Jan 26, 2018 9:51 am

Originally Posted by chermorg (Post 29342551)
The fact the article spends any time at all discussing the GA’s actions and that it repeatedly states she’s already seated when removed is poor editorialism as it invites comparison to Dr. Dao and invites readers to connect the actions directly to United’s judgement/decision, and not to the travel agency.

Editorialism, or stating the facts?

There are also plenty of points in the article that invite readers to connect the actions to the TA.

narvik Jan 26, 2018 9:52 am

Originally Posted by nerd (Post 29342538)

Yet has as it's ONLY picture one of United!
How many words is a picture worth again? :)