Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Frankly, I'm surprised you can upgrade R fares on UA metal with a GPU.
It certainly creates an incentive to fly UA metal. Which will already be pretty strong given that aircraft with P+ will also have the Polaris seat, which is light years better than LH's current hard product.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by monczao
Looking at UA's website for Premium Economy flights to EU in April and most of them return on LH metal. Any idea what LH fare bucket R maps to? Will i be able to use a GPU on a 016 ticket on LH metal if I book an R ticket?
N, and no GPU.

It's an excellent thought, and the answer is "sort of." It works for connecting flights on UA, because those book into B and because the through B fare is usually higher than the A fare. It does not work for connecting flights on LH, because those are booking into discount fare classes.

So, if I'm searching AUS-FRA, I can use O, A, B to get the nonstop flight or connections through a UA hub (in PE), but if I'm searching AUS-CDG, I get B fares (in Y).
Given you need the LH code to GPU anyway, I feel like you might as well just call in the first place to book the ticket.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
N, and no GPU

Interesting, LH N earns 1x PQM while UA R earns 1.5 .
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:31 pm

So if my EWR-LAX flight on a 787-10 is still not bookable in W, I guess this means that they are still not sure if they will be flying the plane on that route next summer. I paid the premium for the PE seat a few weeks ago. I was hoping to book a W ticket, but there was a fare sale and I do not have much faith in UA. It seems like waiting for today's announcement would have been futile, anyway.

Have they made any domestic W available, or is it entirely for TATL/TPAC flights?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by downinit
Have they made any domestic W available, or is it entirely for TATL/TPAC flights?
They are not currently selling P+ fares on domestic flights. On P+-equipped planes, they're selling it as a nicer E+ seat.

I don't see any reason to think that they're planning to pull the 781 off of EWR-LAX in the short term; I'm looking at it more as a question of whether or not they think there's a longer-term market for domestic P+.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:57 pm

Thanks for the info, that is what I suspected. I guess I am just expecting the worst all around, especially after Delta changed my 10PM LAX-JFK leg from an A330 with 2-4-2 seating to an antique 757, moving the widebody to the 11 PM flight and taking away my preferred seating (2 seats by themselves in an exit row) in the process. I specifically booked that flight because of the metal, but I should have known better.

I guess this is why I prefer TATL/TPAC flights on foreign airlines: far fewer unpleasant surprises when you only have 1-2 flights a day and they need to stay in the air for 12+ hours. Very rarely travel domestically, so I am a bit rusty on all the BS they put passengers through.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
So if my EWR-LAX flight on a 787-10 is still not bookable in W, I guess this means that they are still not sure if they will be flying the plane on that route next summer. I paid the premium for the PE seat a few weeks ago. I was hoping to book a W ticket, but there was a fare sale and I do not have much faith in UA. It seems like waiting for today's announcement would have been futile, anyway.

You can freely assign the P+ seats on domestic 78J flights because they are treated as E+. No O/A/R fare required.

I don't see any reason to think that they're planning to pull the 781 off of EWR-LAX in the short term;
It's locked in throughout the summer schedule 13x EWR-LAX (1 daily plus a 6x frequency) and 1 daily EWR-SFO.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
It's locked in throughout the summer schedule 13x EWR-LAX (1 daily plus a 6x frequency) and 1 daily EWR-SFO.
So that would be a second frequency on 6 days a week, in addition to the 1 daily for a total of 13 flights per week each way?
(just trying to understand)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
So that would be a second frequency on 6 days a week, in addition to the 1 daily for a total of 13 flights per week each way?
(just trying to understand)
Correct... 13 78J flights per week on EWRLAX, meaning one daily plus another flight that operates on 6 of 7 days.

Last edited by EWR764; Dec 5, 2018 at 6:44 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
Correct... 13 78J flights per week on EWRSFO, meaning one daily plus another flight that operates on 6 of 7 days.
You probably meant LAXEWR ?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

You didn't have to pay premium, yet, or buy a higher fare (eg W) seat for upgrade purposes. You can find one-way in coach for $159 or lower, and select a PE seat for free with G+, even business class of $569 is easily attainable. Assuming discounted fares are available, I usually go with J on east to west flights, and in E+ (now PE) on the shorter west to east flight.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
You didn't have to pay premium, yet, or buy a higher fare (eg W) seat for upgrade purposes.
W is used as shorthand for PE on some airlines. Unfortunately, the fact that it's also the minimum fare class for long-haul GPU eligibility makes that a bit of a mess on UA.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
You probably meant LAXEWR ?
Yep...!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
One other thing I keep thinking about for such requests is that UA already said the priority for upgrades into J will now consider those booked in PremY before those in Y. So a Silver booked in R using miles gets priority over a 1K in W on a GPU. If that 1K clears into PremY first would they then have priority over the Silver??
Based on the way I read it, seems that the priority is based on the original fare class purchased, not the upgraded class. I would assume the Silver would have priority over 1K in the above instance.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Xerinax
Based on the way I read it, seems that the priority is based on the original fare class purchased, not the upgraded class. I would assume the Silver would have priority over 1K in the above instance.
I'm assuming GS will trump all as they will be directed to the PN bucket (regardless of whether booked in PE or Y.....?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.