Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by j2simpso
The lack of PE was one of the few remaining benefits of flying UA long haul for a couple reasons. First having a Y/J or Y/J/F cabin made upgrades straight forward the buy up offers were actually for something you wanted. Similar argument for using points or certificates for doing upgrades. Sure PE might make upgrades more plentiful but IMHO PE isn’t that much better than Y. You already get a meal and booze on international flights in Y. Second what will happen to E+ seating for elites? One of the nice things about being Gold with UA was I could be sure to find a bulkhead or emergency row with space similar or better to PE at no extra cost. Third what will this mean for mileage earning with UA? Will people who buy s fares see a reduction in PQM or BIS? Fourth how will this change priority boarding? As a Gold I get some 2 boarding ensuring I will have overhead bin space. I could easily see ya Golds being pushed into zone 3 boarding with PE boarding in zone 2.

overall many questions left unanswered for us elites.

lets hope this doesn’t arrive for domestic/trans-border itineraries!

- James
I suspect you are wrong in a couple of places.

1. PE is a lot better than Y or E+, even in an exit row. It is like domestic first.

2. PE boarding priority is into a separate cabin. Elites in Y will still get priority boarding over other Y flyers and overhead space.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:25 pm

Hopefully the funny link will come through. Air travel in real life is the name of the video, Very amusing. I am hoping for a true PE experience at a reasonable cost. Time will tell.

Last edited by Oxnardjan; Jan 18, 2018 at 1:40 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I want to be able to book LH/SQ/NH/OS/BR Premium Economy on 016 tickets.
GDL likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So, Y, E+, PE, Polaris on TATL flights?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Does this replace E+ ? Or in addition to E+?
In addition.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
Unfortunately I expect a loss of J and E+ seats and J upgrade availability with this if AA's and DL's configurations are any clue. It's part of why I'm not a big PE fan. I'm not in the niche that wants it, and instead I'm part of the group that has loses out on the J/Y side.
There will be fewer E+ seats.

I think the 787-10 with W will have very close to same number of J seats as the 787-9. If United maintains the larger J cabins and W, they'll have a huge advantage over Delta with the ever-shrinking J cabins.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My understanding is that it will launch on the 787-10.

Re upgrades, I expect that eventually Y->J disappears in favor of Y->W only. But not immediately. DL didn't go there and I don't think AA did. AF did, though.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
lets hope this doesn’t arrive for domestic/trans-border itineraries!
The only place you're likely to see P+ domestically is on the p.t.s. flights (EWR-LAX/SFO, BOS-SFO). And that won't happen right away, if ever. You might see it on flights to Hawaii, but I'm somewhat doubtful, as I wonder who the target market is. Keep in mind, the overall trend on longhauls has been densification, ostensibly in order to keep fares low. The P+ customer is going to have to be someone who bucks the trend of wanting the cheapest possible seat but can't / doesn't want to fly J. There's a reason that other carriers -- worldwide, really -- have kept PE cabins small. There's not a ton of demand for the seats -- it's a niche product.

I'm guessing that UA is targeting business travelers who aren't allowed to purchase J, as opposed to leisure travelers who can't justify the cost.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by sbm12
That would be my guess as well. The timing is right, and I expect it to start on a new fleet type.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Coming can an UA aircraft near you in 2028!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yup, wondering what this will do to E+ - will it still exist? How many seats will there still be.

I'd love to fly PE, but quite honestly, if it's priced like other airlines generally tend to price PE, I just can't afford it (especially with a family of 4). I'm happy with E+ in general - it gives a bit of extra room (and at just a slight premium for those who have to pay). If PE completely replaces it international, it's likely going to reduce my preference for UA international.

Also ,just got an email from UA with this as one of the bullet points....no further page linked to, so obviously, just scant details released so far.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70

It’s the introduction of business class - all over again!
Originally Posted by dilanesp
That's a really good comment. That is what happened with business class- since tickets were often paid by third parties, the way you made money was to make business class a lot like first and charge a lot of money for it. But that left a hole for people who wanted a middle ground. So now airlines are reintroducing the product that was originally called business class to fill that middle ground.

I was thinking about this the other day. Business is becoming the new First, and PE is becoming the new Business. Call it Polaris, Flagship, whatever. Seems to all be nothing more than name changes and rolling out the hard product back to how it was originally intended to be?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
IMO, equating PE with the end of GPUs (to J) is a bit of an overreaction. PE is still economy, and like AA and DL, I expect UA to continue the policy of one-class upgrades for GPUs. Whether it's discounted W or full Y, it's still a Y -> J upgrade.

And if AA can be used as an example, PE is priced competitively (depending on market/route, of course), and offers favorable EQM earning.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by sbm12

Re upgrades, I expect that eventually Y->J disappears in favor of Y->W only. But not immediately. DL didn't go there and I don't think AA did. AF did, though.
I can't recall. When are the first 787-10s supposed to be in service with United?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Surprised this wasn't combined with Polaris retrofits. Seems like wasted money to modify an aircraft twice.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Several things. First of all, UA is just back at it again, several months/years behind DL and AA in terms of innovative product. I'm glad they did this, but I am worried about GPU usage. I get a lot of GPUs from coworkers who travel much more than I do and don't use them. I don't think this will be the immediate end, if at all. Think of all of the the 777-300 that aren't retrofitted, 787-8/9, 777-200, 767-3/4, 757-200... they can't say "Oh, GPUs now go from Economy to Premium Plus... but if the aircraft doesn't have it... you'll just go to Economy Plus!" I think that they will have to delay until all long hauls have been retrofitted, which could take years. On the other hand, we may just be searching to fly on non-retrofitted aircraft if they only allow Y->J on older aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.