Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by zrs70

It’s the introduction of business class - all over again!
That's a really good comment. That is what happened with business class- since tickets were often paid by third parties, the way you made money was to make business class a lot like first and charge a lot of money for it. But that left a hole for people who wanted a middle ground. So now airlines are reintroducing the product that was originally called business class to fill that middle ground.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I wonder if this has been the reason for the delay getting the 777-200 Polaris retrofit line up and running.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:48 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Finally there’s a place for my useless GPU’s to be used but unfortunately this probably spells the end of upgrades to C.
This, sadly. You'll be able to "upgrade" to PE. Or book a full-fare PE ticket (probably Y/B/M/H?) and upgrade to Polaris.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
People have been hoping for this for years, I for one, am a bit worried about how this will roll out and how GPU's will be used. I'm guessing Economy to PE? Will 1K's have access at booking?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
People have been hoping for this for years, I for one, am a bit worried about how this will roll out and how GPU's will be used. I'm guessing Economy to PE? Will 1K's have access at booking?
I have no inside knowledge, but my bets would be (1) CPU's will upgrade into PE and (2) 1K''s won't have any free access to PE- they will need to pay or use an instrument.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Hope that, if this is true, they follow LH where your GPU from Y goes into C, not PE.
Xyzzy and Mike Jacoubowsky like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:56 pm
mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
I also hope they let United MileagePlus redemptions into Premium Economy on other airlines. The seat looks similar to the one from SingaporeAirlines. Got an email from United too.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I have no inside knowledge, but my bets would be (1) CPU's will upgrade into PE and (2) 1K''s won't have any free access to PE- they will need to pay or use an instrument.
There's no CPUs on int'l long-hauls, the focus of this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There's no CPUs on int'l long-hauls, the focus of this.
I mistyped. GPU's
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

^^ to UA if this really happens - and soon. I don’t really need a lie flat on a short TATL, and since I no longer have GPUs to use, no worries on that front.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:09 pm

Do you guys think that status automatic E+ economy will translate to this at all?

if not then there’s no point of requakidying for silver (for me at least)
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Does this replace E+ ? Or in addition to E+?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:14 pm

Bad News for UA Frequent Flyers

The lack of PE was one of the few remaining benefits of flying UA long haul for a couple reasons. First having a Y/J or Y/J/F cabin made upgrades straight forward the buy up offers were actually for something you wanted. Similar argument for using points or certificates for doing upgrades. Sure PE might make upgrades more plentiful but IMHO PE isn’t that much better than Y. You already get a meal and booze on international flights in Y. Second what will happen to E+ seating for elites? One of the nice things about being Gold with UA was I could be sure to find a bulkhead or emergency row with space similar or better to PE at no extra cost. Third what will this mean for mileage earning with UA? Will people who buy s fares see a reduction in PQM or BIS? Fourth how will this change priority boarding? As a Gold I get some 2 boarding ensuring I will have overhead bin space. I could easily see ya Golds being pushed into zone 3 boarding with PE boarding in zone 2.

overall many questions left unanswered for us elites.

lets hope this doesn’t arrive for domestic/trans-border itineraries!

- James
LASUA1K, NH_Clark, lhrsfo and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Do you guys think that status automatic E+ economy will translate to this at all?

if not then there’s no point of requakidying for silver (for me at least)
No, absolutely not. It's unlikely that anyone will be given P+ for free unless E is sold out. However, there will likely still be some E+ seats on the plane -- just not as many as before. Also, keeping in mind the pace of United's rollouts, I'd wager that this won't be widely available for many months, if not years.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Unfortunately I expect a loss of J and E+ seats and J upgrade availability with this if AA's and DL's configurations are any clue. It's part of why I'm not a big PE fan. I'm not in the niche that wants it, and instead I'm part of the group that has loses out on the J/Y side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.