Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Two out of my three flights yesterday were listed as FULL/FULL and seeking volunteers in the app with $800 or $900 being the starting offer, but both flights ended up going out with zero empty seats and zero at-gate VDB. The first flight had no one left on standby and the second flight had one unlucky person who didn't clear.

I've now seen the old or new in-app VDB screen about 10 times in the past ~6 months but none of the flights ended up needing volunteers at the gate. Not sure if load management is just that good at their jobs or if they're calling people based on the in-app submissions. (Has anyone here gotten such a call? I don't recall any recent comments to that effect.)
My wife has received such a call. She volunteered at on-line check-in, and received a call a couple of hours later asking if she was still interested. They put her on an alternate flight right then, without waiting for the flight. This allowed her to get her VDB money, and have plenty of time to make alternate arrangements for the new flight time. I suspect some of the times where it looks like they didn't need anyone, the reality was that they proactively handled it. By the way, she low-balled the offer below the starting recommended amount.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
My wife has received such a call. She volunteered at on-line check-in, and received a call a couple of hours later asking if she was still interested. They put her on an alternate flight right then, without waiting for the flight. This allowed her to get her VDB money, and have plenty of time to make alternate arrangements for the new flight time. I suspect some of the times where it looks like they didn't need anyone, the reality was that they proactively handled it. By the way, she low-balled the offer below the starting recommended amount.
Interesting. Does your wife have status? Did she check in at or near T-24 or much later?

In no particular order, I assume such calls would be targeted toward people who aren't already at the airport, hadn't checked bags, had submitted the lowest bid, and have no or low status.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if load management is just that good at their jobs or if they're calling people based on the in-app submissions.
They really are that good at their jobs. They've also set the total load limits a lot lower than they were a few years ago. Of course, that generally means fewer discounted seats and average higher fares, but at least the "greedy airlines" aren't "selling your seat."
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
On UA 972 ORD-BRU on Saturday 12/22/2018: on check-in on the app was asked to VDB for $400/$500/$600.
The flight was full with 8 or so on standby. After boarding, Customer Service comes on the speaker asking 4 pax in Business to give up their seats because of an "Operational Issue". Turned out they needed the seats for crew . They immediately offered $5000 in travel credit. Not a word about an alternative flight. Nobody moves. A minute later they ask 4 volunteers in eco to give up their seat and 4 in business to move to eco. Again $5000 each. They find volunteers in eco quite fast but not in business. Customer Service makes it clear that the flight will not take off unless people deboard. Flight delayed by 30 mins. Offer goes up to $8000 then $10.000. Then they suddenly have too many volunteers. They did say something like "come to the front so we can arrange your flight" which seems to indicate that they did offer an alternative flight.
The ambiance in the cabin was special, many people didn't believe/understand what was happening.
One of the flight attendants walks through the cabin angrily uttering "this company gives everything away, nothing left for us".
Suprised that they didn't bother offering a lower amount first.
haroon145, jjmoore and zeer0 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Ghentleman
On UA 972 ORD-BRU on Saturday 12/22/2018: on check-in on the app was asked to VDB for $400/$500/$600.
The flight was full with 8 or so on standby. After boarding, Customer Service comes on the speaker asking 4 pax in Business to give up their seats because of an "Operational Issue". Turned out they needed the seats for crew . They immediately offered $5000 in travel credit. Not a word about an alternative flight. Nobody moves. A minute later they ask 4 volunteers in eco to give up their seat and 4 in business to move to eco. Again $5000 each. They find volunteers in eco quite fast but not in business. Customer Service makes it clear that the flight will not take off unless people deboard. Flight delayed by 30 mins. Offer goes up to $8000 then $10.000. Then they suddenly have too many volunteers. They did say something like "come to the front so we can arrange your flight" which seems to indicate that they did offer an alternative flight.
The ambiance in the cabin was special, many people didn't believe/understand what was happening.
One of the flight attendants walks through the cabin angrily uttering "this company gives everything away, nothing left for us".
Suprised that they didn't bother offering a lower amount first.
had this occurred prior to boarding, they may have been able to get the VDBs for far less, and been able to swipe seat assignments from the 4 biz pax prior to boarding. All in all, this ended up costing them twice as much... or more, having to also bump Y pax. At least nobody was dragged out of the plane, but I will say that of nobody volunteered, UA should have had to bide the bullet and find other means for that crew to get to BXL.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Interesting. Does your wife have status? Did she check in at or near T-24 or much later?

In no particular order, I assume such calls would be targeted toward people who aren't already at the airport, hadn't checked bags, had submitted the lowest bid, and have no or low status.
No status. They called about an hour after check in, so at around T-23. They must have been pretty certain they needed the seat. I'm sure she submitted the lowest bid. But I don't think her lack of status had anything to do with it.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
No status. They called about an hour after check in, so at around T-23. They must have been pretty certain they needed the seat. I'm sure she submitted the lowest bid. But I don't think her lack of status had anything to do with it.
Interesting; thanks. From a business standpoint, it would make sense to try to give vouchers to people who fly infrequently, but that probably takes a backseat to VDBing people who aren't at the airport and will do it for the lowest voucher amount, as with your wife in this example.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:00 pm

Flight tomorrow 12/27

I have four seats (same record locator) on a direct flight tomorrow. It's a domestic flight. I was prompted at check-in to submit an offer to united to take another flight. Original tickets are A fare.

Both flights offered the next day with a connection. Did not mention the class of service. Should I assume these are A fares as well with seat assignments?

In any case, I'm well aware I should not give up my boarding pass until compensation and new tickets are in hand. Maybe I will get lucky and they will call me before we go to the airport. Aside from it being uncommon for United to call in advance, I think the fact that I have four tickets makes them less likely to call me.

Anything else I should be thinking about?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by elbejt2
I have four seats (same record locator) on a direct flight tomorrow. It's a domestic flight. I was prompted at check-in to submit an offer to united to take another flight. Original tickets are A fare.

Both flights offered the next day with a connection. Did not mention the class of service. Should I assume these are A fares as well with seat assignments?

In any case, I'm well aware I should not give up my boarding pass until compensation and new tickets are in hand. Maybe I will get lucky and they will call me before we go to the airport. Aside from it being uncommon for United to call in advance, I think the fact that I have four tickets makes them less likely to call me.

Anything else I should be thinking about?
I'm fairly certain that what was proposed to you was a set of options.. flight alternatives that simply have seats available. Whether those are seats in J or Y, you will have to figure that out on your own. For each one, you can bid a price, and at the gate they will let you know what the real options are, as they may change between check in and at the gate.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Looking for a possible VDB today on UA1899 IAH-ORD. Over by 4 or 5 at the moment and min bid is $800. Not many options currently to get to my destination unfortunately. Will report back with the outcome.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Looking for a possible VDB today on UA1899 IAH-ORD. Over by 4 or 5 at the moment and min bid is $800. Not many options currently to get to my destination unfortunately. Will report back with the outcome.
Hope you get the bump and a nice reroute with ETC
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Ghentleman
...Customer Service comes on the speaker asking 4 pax in Business to give up their seats...A minute later they ask 4 volunteers in eco to give up their seat and 4 in business to move to eco. Again $5000 each. They find volunteers in eco quite fast but not in business...Offer goes up to $8000 then $10.000. Then they suddenly have too many volunteers
Wow, so they gave out 4 x $10K & 4 x $5K, for 4 seats?

Would the economy passengers also been entitled to $10K each as that ended up being the highest amount awarded??
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth

Would the economy passengers also been entitled to $10K each as that ended up being the highest amount awarded??
Everyone should have received $10K vouchers.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Hope you get the bump and a nice reroute with ETC
Update... tons of weather related mess here in IAH today, so many open seats and standbys clearing. Better luck next time.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth

Yes, sounded like 60k was offered in order to get 4 Business seats.
They first found 4 volunteers from Y giving up the seat at $5000. Then they continued the search for 4 Z passengers willing to move to Y. Different offer imo. I'm not aware of a rule that says everyone should get the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.