Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyDUS
So K fare on LH (25% RDM basis) would earn 50% and E fare (150% RDM basis) would earn 250%?
Yes, that's correct, assuming they're not ticketed on United.

As an aside, M&M flyers can get the older behavior on their LH flights if they can book them on non-LH-group ticket stock. If you mostly travel long-haul, you may be able to ticket the flights on UA, credit to M&M, and earn RDMs based on distance. However, most short-haul discount LH group fares can only be booked on LH group tickets, so if you mostly fly within Europe or to Africa or southwest Asia, this isn't likely to be helpful.
FlyDUS likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
So am in PDX and am going to try and get back to LHR on Sunday rather than Monday. Not many seats in Business to LHR from any gateway so understand it will be very tight. From everything I have gathered here I will have to fly Standby my question is does a standby paid customer get priority over anyone who is waiting to upgrade? If so think either LAX or IAH are my best options but happy for any advice.

Last edited by Trappy; Jun 9, 2018 at 10:48 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Award booking fees are not refunded. Any difference in taxes should be refunded automatically, along with the E+ charge. If that doesn't happen, file for a refund request with United. I would not do that until after you travel, lest someone attempt to refund the entire ticket.

Also, if there are any partner flights on the itinerary, I would check them carefully, and I'd call the operating carrier unless I were 100% sure that they had the updated ticket number. UA's systems are notorious for failing to transmit this information successfully, leading to problems down the line as the partner believes you've cancelled the reservation.
Nevermind, I messed up. United did apply the original flight's fees and taxes towards the new flight. Wish their email was clearer.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
When does the UA counter at Stockholm-Arlanda open and close?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
When does the UA counter at Stockholm-Arlanda open and close?
UA does not list times for ARN.

but some (2015) threads have discussed this issue
Stockholm (ARN) counter hours
Star Alliance check-in/baggage drop at ARN T5
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:57 pm
RNE

Friday, June 1, 2018, United had a travel advisory for the NYC area. Also on that day, TSMRSRNE were departing from Cleveland heading nowhere near there. We were booked on UA4243 CLE-ORD 7:31-8:05 and UA219 ORD-HNL 10:10-2:22. Pretty easy connection to a very long flight. But, no! The bad weather in NYC delayed our crew at CLE. We barely made it to our connecting flight at ORD, having to hurry from F12 to B17. Not a short distance. Worse, we were stopped in our tracks due to a suspicious package in the base of the Terminal 2 "Y". Nobody could go in or out. Meanwhile, our plane to Hawaii was boarding at the far end of Terminal 1. Fortunately, the security matter ended and we made it before the flight left.

My Question: How come United's travel advisories only include flights into and out of areas affected by storms? Why not also the flights using the planes that originate/go through the advisory areas? I could have looked for alternative flight options that avoided equipment coming from NYC.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RNE
My Question: How come United's travel advisories only include flights into and out of areas affected by storms? Why not also the flights using the planes that originate/go through the advisory areas? I could have looked for alternative flight options that avoided equipment coming from NYC.
Frame assignments are not firm enough to know which flight options involve crews or frames coming from NYC. They have to draw the line somewhere short of "anyone can change, systemwide".
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:13 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by findark
Frame assignments are not firm enough to know which flight options involve crews or frames coming from NYC. They have to draw the line somewhere short of "anyone can change, systemwide".
It's hardly all or nothing. The computer knows what planes are coming from an advisory airport. Allowing free changes in those specific instances is limited and makes sense because it helps UA and passengers.

RNE, not trying to initiate a policy debate in this forum, simply asking if UA has ever addressed why they exclude this obvious exception. If not, fine.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RNE
The computer knows what planes are coming from an advisory airport.
Not more than a few hours out. Schedules are still somewhat malleable until then. And once it's confirmed, they are usually pretty good about rescheduling as I've seen.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
WWhen having a confirmed award booking on UA SFO-PHX(Y)-IAH(J) using UA miles, what options are there on the day of departure in terms of

(1) changing the first segment from Y to J?
(2) switching to a non-stop flight?

And if it's possible, is it subject to award availability or only positive space?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
WWhen having a confirmed award booking on UA SFO-PHX(Y)-IAH(J) using UA miles, what options are there on the day of departure in terms of

And if it's possible, is it subject to award availability or only positive space?
  1. Since you paid for a Business award, you should call (anytime after booking, but sooner is better) and waitlist that segment for Business Class. There's no cost for that.
  2. You can pay $75 for SDC (Same-Day Change). I'm not sure what the inventory requirements are for that, but there's a whole thread dedicated to SDC.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

(2) hub to hub, good luck with that ...

I'm pretty certain it's award availability, though I suppose you could try standby, but again ..... I'd say you have better chance to fly up front while connecting @:-)
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Thanks in advance!
An award change would be a better choice if possible but finding I space the day of travel is a challenge. More likely on the SFO-PHX than on the SFO-IAH.
You should be waitlisted now for the non-stop.

SDC is a challenge due to needing award space and mix fare.

Award space will be required for both.

Standby is a no go due to the mixed fare.

Note without UA status, there will be fees for either. While AC *G can get free SDC, that may not work on a UA award which will be linked to your UA account.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: SK *G, Marriott Titanium
If buying a ticket that I'm pretty sure I'm gonna standby for another flight on, do I list my *A Gold membership FF or my UA Premier Silver? Which has the best standby priority?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by backeby
If buying a ticket that I'm pretty sure I'm gonna standby for another flight on, do I list my *A Gold membership FF or my UA Premier Silver? Which has the best standby priority?
Pretty sure *G has both higher priority and a chance of getting the fee waived.
backeby likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.