Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 11:56 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Tor Viking
If I use a co-pay upgrade travelling from London to Sydney, I need to spend $600,- +35000 miles
What happens if only the LHR-LAX segment goes through? Would I only pay half? Anybody with experience in that situation?
LHR-LAX u/g is $550 + 20K miles IIRC, so in a word no.

No idea if you would get the differece.
Tor Viking likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
To echo Fumje, gate control doesn't mean locking the seatmap. You can change seats using the App pretty much any time except when the GAs are actively clearing standbys and upgrades into empty seats.
Thanks for the insight.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I am looking to book Houston- Manila on Singapore Airlines via the Houston-Singapore (via Manchester)- Manila route and upgrade to Business class using my United miles.

Do I have to upgrade the Houston-Manchester and Manchester-Singapore separately and use about 30k miles each segment? Or am I able to upgrade to from Houston all the way to Singapore. I do not mind sitting in coach on the Singapore to Manila leg since it's only about 3 hours.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old May 28, 2018, 8:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by carlos.htx
I am looking to book Houston- Manila on Singapore Airlines via the Houston-Singapore (via Manchester)- Manila route and upgrade to Business class using my United miles.

Do I have to upgrade the Houston-Manchester and Manchester-Singapore separately and use about 30k miles each segment? Or am I able to upgrade to from Houston all the way to Singapore. I do not mind sitting in coach on the Singapore to Manila leg since it's only about 3 hours.

Thanks in advance for the help!
While upgrade request can span multiple UA operated flights, each partner operated flight upgrade request is made separately (and requires a very high fare class and can not be a codeshare)
For more on partner upgrades, see How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Old May 28, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While upgrade request can span multiple UA operated flights, each partner operated flight upgrade request is made separately (and requires a very high fare class and can not be a codeshare)
For more on partner upgrades, see How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
In this particular case, I don't think it matters. As a rule, Singapore Airlines (SQ) does not open business class award space on its longhaul flights to partners, so while they technically participate in the Star Alliance upgrade program, OP won't be able to upgrade seats on IAH-MAN-SIN. (In fact, the rules listed on UA's website specifically exclude the SQ A350, A380, and 77W; IAH-MAN-SIN is operated by the A350).

Incidentally, I'm not sure if that route would require one upgrade or two, were it even possible in the first place.

OP: Taking SQ to MNL is truly the long way around -- it's 4200+ miles further than the hypothetical nonstop route would be. I would suggest looking at EVA Air (BR) instead. The upgradeable BR fare is $1986 RT, and it's only about 130 miles of extra travel instead of 4200.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Many months ago I booked two of us RT EWR to LHR with MUA requests on both segments for mid May 2018. Fast forward to April 8 the return flight price for biz drops and I do a GGBUYUP for both us and UA quickly returns 40K miles and I get my co-pay and queen's taxes refunded to my Chase card within days. Comes time to fly to LHR and the outbound MUAs do not clear so we get to enjoy 8 hours of sitting on two boards aka slimline seats and now almost two weeks later no return of the 40K miles or the co-pay. Is it time for me to write to UA or does this typically take this long?
Old May 30, 2018, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gene2632
Comes time to fly to LHR and the outbound MUAs do not clear so we get to enjoy 8 hours of sitting on two boards aka slimline seats and now almost two weeks later no return of the 40K miles or the co-pay. Is it time for me to write to UA or does this typically take this long?
If they haven't returned your miles and copay within a week of the flight, you should call MPSC (mileage plus service center).
Old May 30, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Question on award bookings:

I booked a mixed-class, mixed-carrier award to get back from Europe this summer with intra-EU flight on partner (OU) in X (two-class aircraft, but no I available) with TATL leg on UA in Polaris. I know when UA segments only have X available, you can waitlist for I if space opens. What happens if OU opens up I space on its flight? Can I call up UA and change without a fee, since I paid for J award? Or will this incur a change fee?

Thanks.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:34 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by akcae
Question on award bookings:

I booked a mixed-class, mixed-carrier award to get back from Europe this summer with intra-EU flight on partner (OU) in X (two-class aircraft, but no I available) with TATL leg on UA in Polaris. I know when UA segments only have X available, you can waitlist for I if space opens.
What happens if OU opens up I space on its flight? Can I call up UA and change without a fee, since I paid for J award? Or will this incur a change fee?

Thanks.
Ya, you can't waitlist on partner awards. IIRC in this instance, you would have to redeposit miles and make a fresh booking - not necessarily in that order if you have enough miles, but non high status UA members will have to pay redeposit fees and possibly close in fee if Biz opens up.

But the main takeaway IMHO is that it's not worth it to bother with intra Europe Biz, as there is not even extra legroom, just middle seat blocked off in front of the plane @:-)
Old May 30, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by akcae
I booked a mixed-class, mixed-carrier award to get back from Europe this summer with intra-EU flight on partner (OU) in X (two-class aircraft, but no I available) with TATL leg on UA in Polaris. I know when UA segments only have X available, you can waitlist for I if space opens. What happens if OU opens up I space on its flight? Can I call up UA and change without a fee, since I paid for J award? Or will this incur a change fee?
If I opens, UA should be able to make that change. They might try to charge you a change fee, though I would tend to agree that's not appropriate since you've already paid for a business class award.
akcae likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
I'm flying UA46 in Polaris from IAH to FRA. Can I use the Lufthansa arrival lounge when I arrive in FRA?
Old May 30, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pinks
I'm flying UA46 in Polaris from IAH to FRA. Can I use the Lufthansa arrival lounge when I arrive in FRA?
Yes. https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Lounge-types-and-access
pinks likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinks
Be aware last admission is 12:30 PM (closes 1PM). If you arrive on time, should be able to just make it.
pinks likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
I have about 6 months left on my passport, and I'm thinking of renewing it right now while I'm back home.

I still have a couple of reservations with United--one of which is still in progress--which I made with my current (soon to be expired) passport number. If I renew my passport right now, will I have any problems when I try to check-in for my upcoming flight? Do I have to call United or something to get my passport number on file changed?
Old May 31, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JMBResona
I have about 6 months left on my passport, and I'm thinking of renewing it right now while I'm back home.

I still have a couple of reservations with United--one of which is still in progress--which I made with my current (soon to be expired) passport number. If I renew my passport right now, will I have any problems when I try to check-in for my upcoming flight? Do I have to call United or something to get my passport number on file changed?
You will have no problems. This is a very common occurrence. Some passports expire in 5 years and others in 10 years (and for the US passengers who lost their passports in a foreign country they even give you US passports valid for one entry in the US). When you check-in online for an international flight, one of the pages of the process shows your passport number and asks if you are going to travel with that one. Just change the number to your new passport number and save the information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.