Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by P__Squared
I recently paid to upgrade an international flight to business class. When the flight appeared on my MileagePlus activity the fare code was ZN, and I didn't receive any PQM bonus. ZN appears to be the code they use for standard level award tickets in business. This wasn't an award ticket, it was a paid upgrade. Did they goof on my PQM credit or am I missing something here?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Upgrades purchased immediately after ticketing, or during the check-in process, rarely qualify for double PQM. This is a widespread issue and there's a board thread about it: Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T! . A post from UA Insider claims that this is disclosed in the terms & conditions; if you happened to save them, and they mentioned extra PQMs, you should be able to request credit from the MileagePlus Service Center.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by jsloan
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Upgrades purchased immediately after ticketing, or during the check-in process, rarely qualify for double PQM. This is a widespread issue and there's a board thread about it: . A post from UA Insider claims that this is disclosed in the terms & conditions; if you happened to save them, and they mentioned extra PQMs, you should be able to request credit from the MileagePlus Service Center.
Thank you for the clarification. What you're saying makes sense, I actually purchased this upgrade after checking in and only about ten hours before the flight departed. I was surprised that the couple of cheap ~$200ish upgrades on domestic transcontinental flights I've purchased in the past qualified for double PQMs, but international business class did not.

Sadly I did not save the terms & conditions. I will have to remember to do that if I get this opportunity in the future.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
I recently booked an international business ticket. My receipt states: "The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 8,396.00 USD. The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 103.36 USD." I knew that award miles were capped at 75,000, but I did not realize that there was a cap on EQD. The receipts states:
MileagePlus Accrual totals:75000 Award Miles33611 PQM7 PQS7499 PQD
I tried to find information about a PQD cap on the United/Mileage Plus website but could not find anything. Can anyone point me to where this information might be? It seems odd that they would cap EQD. Thanks for any insight.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by P__Squared
Thank you for the clarification. What you're saying makes sense, I actually purchased this upgrade after checking in and only about ten hours before the flight departed. I was surprised that the couple of cheap ~$200ish upgrades on domestic transcontinental flights I've purchased in the past qualified for double PQMs, but international business class did not.
The stated intent is that none of these offers should earn PQM (this is clearly spelled out in the offer terms). It's basically a bug that some of them do, but a bug UA doesn't really care enough to fix.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
I recently booked an international business ticket. My receipt states: "The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 8,396.00 USD. The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 103.36 USD." I knew that award miles were capped at 75,000, but I did not realize that there was a cap on EQD. The receipts states:
MileagePlus Accrual totals:75000 Award Miles33611 PQM7 PQS7499 PQD
I tried to find information about a PQD cap on the United/Mileage Plus website but could not find anything. Can anyone point me to where this information might be? It seems odd that they would cap EQD. Thanks for any insight.
Not aware of a PQD cap -- were some of the flights non-PQD earning. Non-*A operated?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not aware of a PQD cap -- were some of the flights non-PQD earning. Non-*A operated?
All flights are UA marketed and UA metal (RDU-EWR-DEL and BOM-EWR-RDU).
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
I have 2 separate tickets. 1 SAN-LAX in Y. Another LAX-ICN in business with SQ. I have no status. Will I be charged for baggage fee for SAN-LAX segment since it is on separate ticket and it's in Y?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SESTAR
I have 2 separate tickets. 1 SAN-LAX in Y. Another LAX-ICN in business with SQ. I have no status. Will I be charged for baggage fee for SAN-LAX segment since it is on separate ticket and it's in Y?
Yes.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:49 am

What are the rules for cancellation/change of an award ticket booked in Business class? This will be booked for a cruise. What if the cruise is changed or canceled? Will I lose all miles or will they go back to my account?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zitsky
What are the rules for cancellation/change of an award ticket booked in Business class? This will be booked for a cruise. What if the cruise is changed or canceled? Will I lose all miles or will they go back to my account?
You'll pay a redeposit fee, calculated based on status. See specific fees here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You'll pay a redeposit fee, calculated based on status. See specific fees here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
Thank you very much for answering that question. Much appreciated!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
How can I apply an upgrade (RPU/GPU) to a single segment of a trip online? I can only see a way to apply to it to either the entire outbound or return. Even when I select "Upgrade Individual Flights" it wants to apply it to both segments. I don't want to burn an upgrade on a short connection that I will probably get a CPU for anyway.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
How can I apply an upgrade (RPU/GPU) to a single segment of a trip online? I can only see a way to apply to it to either the entire outbound or return. Even when I select "Upgrade Individual Flights" it wants to apply it to both segments. I don't want to burn an upgrade on a short connection that I will probably get a CPU for anyway.
You cannot. To do this, you have to call.

Note that if the long segment is Polaris-marketed and the short one is not, you can apply the GPU to both and it will be refunded if only the short segment clears.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Originally Posted by findark
You cannot. To do this, you have to call.

Note that if the long segment is Polaris-marketed and the short one is not, you can apply the GPU to both and it will be refunded if only the short segment clears.
Thank you. I had always called in the past and I thought the last time the agent told me there was a way to do it online.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:48 pm

Question Printing from united.com

I'm just trying to print an intinerary from united.com. The quality is terrible. I've tried printing it, saving to PDF etc. No matter what I do it comes out blurry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.