FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1885647-consolidated-chance-upgrade-clearing-my-flight.html)

RobOnLI Feb 3, 2024 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 35967232)
So my “ABC, D.” is nowhere on the visible upgrade list for flight 444 on Monday 2/5. Biz trip booked thru Concur as are many of my flights. Posted PP back in November for this trip (1K status both 2023 and again in 2024), and upgrade confirmed like a breeze for the return - but now this for the outbound. Called 1K desk and HUACA. Both agents assured me I’m #5 on the list but it shows someone else. I listed off who I was seeing as #1-4, which they confirmed. #5 is someone else whom they said showed as #6, and one of the agents divulged he’s a Silver. While not out of the realm of possibilities, it struck me as odd that I would be on the list the agent can see as a 1K with PP, and the next one is a Silver. I wrote 1Kvoice but I doubt they’ll respond. How can this be so hosed up, and any guesses what my real position is and the gate monitor will show on Monday?

There are reports that United maintains multiple upgrade lists that are only merged at T-24h. However, that's usually related to those waitlisted for things like "IN" (award saver business). Since you are allegedly at the bottom of the pile of 1Ks (and the person below you is silver), it does not hurt to remove the PP request from this flight and re-apply it. That should force you into the right spot on the upgrade list and also make you visible.

The agents are not lying to you and you almost definitely are #5 on the list. Now whether you will show up at T-24h, never, or only at the airport is anyone's guess. Might also explain why some random names appear as upgraded even though they never appeared on the list.

Anyway, UA444 is IAD-BDL. Hardly a flight worth getting upset about if you miss the upgrade as there's a chance they don't even provide service on it!

-RM

pricebb91 Feb 3, 2024 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35967218)
I see D9Z2 on that flight, which is more encouraging than D0Z0. Are you looking at a connecting itinerary?

From P+, you've got a shot, since you'll be ahead of all elites except GS in Y.

Yes, I have a flight from IAH to BNA afterwards.

jsloan Feb 3, 2024 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by pricebb91 (Post 35967603)
Yes, I have a flight from IAH to BNA afterwards.

When you evaluate upgrade chances, you need to search the inventory just for the flight in question. In this case, that looks more promising than the inventory you posted, but still far from a sure thing.

Kmxu Feb 3, 2024 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35967625)
When you evaluate upgrade chances, you need to search the inventory just for the flight in question. In this case, that looks more promising than the inventory you posted, but still far from a sure thing.

The flight is two and a half months away. The inventory will change as flight time gets closer.
OP can keep monitoring the upgrade standby list with the "date trick." (change your phone date to your travel date and check flight status on united.com). Good luck.

pricebb91 Feb 4, 2024 5:04 pm

Thanks for the help all! We’ll see what happens

kibiuccia Feb 8, 2024 8:08 am

Hello, currently seated in Premium Plus, 20 Polaris seats left, I’m #1 on the waitlist and we are 11 days out (flying SFO to HKG). Any chance of my upgrade clearing?
Available fare classes J5 JN5 C5 D5 Z5 ZN5 P5 INO 09 ON9 A9 R9 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S6 T4 L4 K0 G0 XN4

jsloan Feb 8, 2024 8:37 am

Originally Posted by kibiuccia (Post 35981427)
Hello, currently seated in Premium Plus, 20 Polaris seats left, I’m #1 on the waitlist and we are 11 days out (flying SFO to HKG). Any chance of my upgrade clearing?
Available fare classes J5 JN5 C5 D5 Z5 ZN5 P5 INO 09 ON9 A9 R9 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S6 T4 L4 K0 G0 XN4

You need to search just SFO-HKG by itself, not your entire connecting itinerary, to get meaningful inventory data.

kibiuccia Feb 8, 2024 9:22 am

Ah thanks got it. When searching by itself these are the fare classes:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN4
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • O9
  • ON9
  • A9
  • R9
  • RN9
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T5
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • XN7
  • X0

unitedwildcat Feb 8, 2024 9:30 am

Originally Posted by kibiuccia (Post 35981685)
Ah thanks got it. When searching by itself these are the fare classes:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN4
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • O9
  • ON9
  • A9
  • R9
  • RN9
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T5
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • XN7
  • X0

no one can really say but I’d think the odds are in your favor with numbers like that.

XUEC Feb 14, 2024 9:13 am

3/4 EWR - LAX - HKG on 1K PP

What are my chances? Booked in S class for about $900. J cash fare is over $5k.

Related question—why isn’t PN/Pz Shown at all in expert mode? I just see P9.

Thanks! This is for my mother so fingers crossed.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f26ad4120d.png

jsloan Feb 14, 2024 9:18 am

Originally Posted by XUEC (Post 35998264)
What are my chances? Booked in S class for about $900. J cash fare is over $5k.

Related question—why isn’t PN/Pz Shown at all in expert mode? I just see P9.

You need to search the two flights separately to see meaningful inventory data, including PN/PZ.

Assuming that your mother doesn't have status, chances are near zero on EWR-LAX, and LAX-HKG will be hit or miss.

XUEC Feb 14, 2024 10:51 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35998279)
You need to search the two flights separately to see meaningful inventory data, including PN/PZ.

Assuming that your mother doesn't have status, chances are near zero on EWR-LAX, and LAX-HKG will be hit or miss.

She does not have status—I am 1K upgrading her on my PP. does this mean she would be at the bottom of the upgrade list because it’s based on her own status?

thanks for the tip on searching the legs separately. Annoying.

jsloan Feb 14, 2024 11:35 am

Originally Posted by XUEC (Post 35998558)
She does not have status—I am 1K upgrading her on my PP. does this mean she would be at the bottom of the upgrade list because it’s based on her own status?

Unfortunately, yes.

No problem. :) Yes, it's annoying; they had it working properly for a few months and then ripped it out entirely from connecting itineraries. For years before that, it was present but generally wrong.

PanAmWT Feb 15, 2024 1:00 am

For such a long flight, you may watch for possible cash upgrade offer, or pay $1150 more to get her to PE for both legs. I think it is well worth it if your budget allows. Besides, you also increase her chance of upgrading to J, and save significant amount of PP whether UG to J or not.

thinze3 Feb 15, 2024 8:26 am

IAH to LHR

My wife and I are currently booked in Premium Plus (R) on a flight from IAH to LHR in about 3 weeks. I know things can change before then, but if we were leaving tomorrow, what would be my chances to upgrade our cabin. I am Premier Silver, and she has no status. . . BTW United is offering $430 and 20k points PP upgrade which I'll probably do on the way back.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the current availability.
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN9
  • PZ8
  • IN0