FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1885647-consolidated-chance-upgrade-clearing-my-flight.html)

IAH-OIL-TRASH Dec 27, 2023 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Scotttyd (Post 35854355)
Question if I purchase a miles upgrade (and waitlisted) for my wife and I and our daughter - but we would only want it to be an "all or nothing" meaning I don't want 1 or 2 of us to be upgraded and not the third for a transatlantic flight. Is that possible? Or do we risk one of us getting upgraded and the other not?

additional question - trying to determine the likelihood of getting an upgrade from IAD to FRA and MUC to EWR if I purchase regular economy - Flights are Friday night and return on a saturday- so I am guessing popular for vacationers, but not business travel.

Any tools to be able to gauge the possibility?

thanks all

You’ll stay together (upgraded or not) until check-in. At that point, the waitlist will be visible and you can decide whether or not to rescind your request so as to not be split at check in.

Kacee Dec 27, 2023 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 35854665)
You’ll stay together (upgraded or not) until check-in. At that point, the waitlist will be visible and you can decide whether or not to rescind your request so as to not be split at check in.

My last several times waitlisting with an instrument, we were not given a choice. UA assumes you want the upgrade and will upgrade a single pax, splitting the PNR, if upgrade space is available.

jsloan Dec 27, 2023 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 35854665)

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35854751)
My last several times waitlisting with an instrument, we were not given a choice. UA assumes you want the upgrade and will upgrade a single pax, splitting the PNR, if upgrade space is available.

Using an instrument, you will be auto-split around T-24 if there is confirmable space available at that time. The "do you want to stay on the upgrade list" question is only for CPUs. So, OP would want to set an alarm for ~T-36 to check the list there and see how it looks.

znewton1 Dec 29, 2023 6:38 am

Do we have a good chance of sponsored PP upgrade clearing on this flight?

My wife and I are flying FRA-SFO tomorrow (Sat 12/30) and a 1K friend has sponsored us with his PP. Sadly, we're #23/24 on the UG list so definitely not going to clear as there's only 5 open seats right now.

That said, I'm considering switching us to a different flight (20+ open Polaris seats, my friend would resubmit the PP request) to increase our chances. No PZ/PN yet but we just hit the 24hrs out mark. Is there any way of gaining visibility into the current upgrade list before I switch the flight? I'd hate to make the switch (from current non-stop to this itinerary with a layover in IAH) only to find out we're 20-something on the list again.

Repooc17 Dec 29, 2023 7:13 am

Go to flight status, type in the flight number and date to check the upgrade list.

The upgrade priority without the sponsor traveling is based on the the status of traveler, and not the sponsor.

drewguy Dec 29, 2023 7:42 am

What other flights are you considering? I took a quick look through FRA-SFO connections and most seem to be pretty booked in Polaris.

UAFAM Dec 29, 2023 12:14 pm

UA945 is your only guaranteed Polaris out of FRA :cool:

kb1992 Dec 29, 2023 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by znewton1 (Post 35858110)
My wife and I are flying FRA-SFO tomorrow (Sat 12/30) and a 1K friend has sponsored us with his PP. Sadly, we're #23/24 on the UG list so definitely not going to clear as there's only 5 open seats right now.

That said, I'm considering switching us to a different flight (20+ open Polaris seats, my friend would resubmit the PP request) to increase our chances. No PZ/PN yet but we just hit the 24hrs out mark. Is there any way of gaining visibility into the current upgrade list before I switch the flight? I'd hate to make the switch (from current non-stop to this itinerary with a layover in IAH) only to find out we're 20-something on the list again.

​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 35858267)
What other flights are you considering? I took a quick look through FRA-SFO connections and most seem to be pretty booked in Polaris.

Originally Posted by UAFAM (Post 35859020)
UA945 is your only guaranteed Polaris out of FRA :cool:

Yeah, 945 seems the best bet, but I won't say it's "guaranteed".

Currently 945 is booked 30/44 in J. There are 12 people on the WL.

Based on FRA-SFO WL on Dec. 30, it appears that the OP is at the bottom. Therefore, it's likely that OP will be No. 13 and 14 for 945.

This is a close call.

UAFAM Dec 29, 2023 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 35859201)
There are 12 people on the WL.

11 of them are standby/non revs

lsquare Dec 29, 2023 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 35858180)
Go to flight status, type in the flight number and date to check the upgrade list.

The upgrade priority without the sponsor traveling is based on the the status of traveler, and not the sponsor.

I just tried and I can only see the upgrade list for the next two days.

Repooc17 Dec 29, 2023 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35859485)
I just tried and I can only see the upgrade list for the next two days.

Correct. I was responding to the other poster, as his/her flight is within 2 days (tomorrow).

Not sure if there are still work arounds to see flight info, including waitlist, beyond...

kb1992 Dec 29, 2023 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by UAFAM (Post 35859382)
11 of them are standby/non revs

if that's the case, then OP is almost guaranteed the upgrade.

WMTribe84 Jan 2, 2024 10:54 am

Best way to score an upgrade EWR-Tokyo (1K)

Hi All,

I am a 1K passenger looking to book a Newark to Tokyo round trip flight for my husband and myself in the March-May timeframe. I have about 350 plus points (plus another 300 that will expire end of January). What is the best process in terms of maximizing the chances for an upgrade on economy booked tickets? We're willing to be somewhat flexible with the dates and scheduling, but would like to try to do anything we can to get into first/business. Any recommendations? Thank you!!

I have also heard that for some flights there are upgrade point deals offered soon after booking?

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jan 2, 2024 1:16 pm

Your best chances are in first half of May, mid-week travel. You’ll already be at a disadvantage, being behind all GSs and behind any status waitlisted in PremEconomy.

narvik Jan 2, 2024 1:25 pm

Apart from what has already been suggested, HND has [slightly] better chances than NRT.