Last edit by: IADFlyer123
Consider posting:
1. Route
2. Date
3. Fare class
4. Y-C or C-F
5. How many days/weeks in advance ticket was purchased
6. How many days/weeks before departure did upgrade clear

For reference:GPU upgrade SUCCESS 2017, GPU upgrade SUCCESS 2016, GPU upgrade SUCCESS 2015
Print Wikipost

GPU upgrade SUCCESS 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow. You don't see that much anymore. Was that a phone agent or on the ground at DEN?
a really really good ground agent at DEN who not only treated us really well, but literally saved our trip with not much time to do it. Already submitted a compliment to 1k voice

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I would not take $900 ETC for DEN-NRT, especially J seat. United offered $800 for LAX-IAD this week. Someone took it and rebooked into First Class (via ORD and arrived 3 hrs later than the original scheduled flight).
I guess it depends on individual circumstances. If J is guaranteed the next day, and there's nothing particularly urgent for him in Singapore, then it potentially makes sense
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
1. SFO-SIN
2. Dec 11, 2018
3. W
4. Y->C
5. Booked Aug 31, 2018
6. Cleared at booking

1. SIN-SFO
2. Dec 27, 2018
3. W
4. Y->C
5. Booked Aug 31, 2018
6. Cleared at booking
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Scifience
1. IAD-SFO
2. 2018/08/26
3. B
4. Y-F
5. purchased ~90min prior to departure while on the way to the airport...
6. applied and cleared at gate to grab last F seat

Yes, arguably a 'waste' of a GPU, but it was the only way to avoid an E- middle and I have so many I don't know what to do with them...
isn’t this one of those situations where a GPU hurts your chances? Doesn’t B clear into PN on a domestic flight?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
isn’t this one of those situations where a GPU hurts your chances? Doesn’t B clear into PN on a domestic flight?
Yes. Not to mention waste of an instrument.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Yes. Not to mention waste of an instrument.
I asked the gate agent about this—and it's certainly a possibility that I was misled. I was #6 on the upgrade list (no GS ahead of me, according to agent), and he said the time tiebreaker meant I was at the bottom for the last seat. PN was 0 at booking and check-in. As soon as he applied the instrument, the computer spit out a new boarding pass.

Would I have really cleared without the instrument? I assume writing into 1kvoice is pointless if I screwed this up after talking to the gate agent...

Last edited by Scifience; Sep 1, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I asked the gate agent about this—and it's certainly a possibility that I was misled. I was #6 on the upgrade list (no GS ahead of me, according to agent), and he said the time tiebreaker meant I was at the bottom for the last seat. PN was 0 at booking and check-in. As soon as he applied the instrument, the computer spit out a new boarding pass.

Would I have really cleared without the instrument? ....
From some previous anecdotal cases, it appears applying an instrument (such as RPU, GPU, miles) infers with the Instant Upgrade process. It is doubtful a GA has the needed deep knowledge of the upgrade processes to have appropriate insight.

As 1K on a B fare (with Instant Upgrade is an option), your position would have been higher than a 1K on GPU/RPU and the anecdotal experiences suggest being both the elites being listed in the lower position. And certain no better than without the instrument.

Whether you would have cleared as a pure Instant Upgrade only, no way to speculate but it could be the instrument did not help.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 1, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:24 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
BLR-FRA in LH in C (booked P), did UG online with GPU and cleared instantly to F (shows as O). 1 GPU left to burn for the year. Would have scored the FRA-EWR as well but it’s a UA codeshare and despite a couple of calls no agent would change it, citing that P was not upgradable. Looks like Inhabe an incentive to book on LH metal now if I can get the LH flight numbers.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I asked the gate agent about this—and it's certainly a possibility that I was misled. I was #6 on the upgrade list (no GS ahead of me, according to agent), and he said the time tiebreaker meant I was at the bottom for the last seat.
According to the website, GA was wrong:

The following is the order of priority for upgrades, within four days of departure, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:
  • Premier 1K members on eligible Y-, B- and M-class fares: Premier 1K instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance are prioritized by fare class
  • All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler first, followed by fare classFootnote1, Chase United MileagePlus Club cardholders, United Corporate Preferred participants, and lastly by the date and time of request
  • All remaining Premier members: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler first, followed by fare classFootnote1, Chase United MileagePlus Club cardholders, United Corporate Preferred participants, and lastly by the date and time of request
Upgrades
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
UA955

1. TLV-SFO
2. 2018/08/30
3. W
4. Y-C
5. purchased 10 days in advance,
6. cleared at booking

​​​​
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K
1. SFO-SIN - 2 travelers
2. 10/30/2018 + return 11/20/2018
3. W
4. Y>C
5. booked 8/29/2018
6. cleared at booking - 12/12 GPU's used 2018
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tht
BLR-FRA in LH in C (booked P), did UG online with GPU and cleared instantly to F (shows as O). 1 GPU left to burn for the year. Would have scored the FRA-EWR as well but it’s a UA codeshare and despite a couple of calls no agent would change it, citing that P was not upgradable. Looks like Inhabe an incentive to book on LH metal now if I can get the LH flight numbers.
at least you got to use the FCT/FCL as an arriving F pax Yeah, you need to be on native LH flight flight numbers in P/Z. A well-known limitation of the new unpublished UG benefit
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
According to the website, GA was wrong:
Upgrades
Thanks, I'll know better for next time and fight it! Will also write in just for the hell of it, but not expecting anything (and, frankly, regardless of what should have happened, it was still worth it to me if that's what it took for the GA to move me out of an E- middle seat on that flight).
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
1. ORD - HKG
2. Sep 24
3. W
4. Economy to Polaris Business
5. 8 weeks
6. 3 weeks. Called 1k line to bump fare from S-W. Paid $121 difference.. had rep apply GPU that cleared instantly.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k
1. FRA-SFO (LH) - 2 pax
2. Sunday 09/09/2018
3. H
4. Y>C
5. booked Mar/2018
6. cleared 09/04/2018 (T-5 days, flight had been J9 D9 C9 sometimes a bit in Z but P never opened)

So I've used up all my 2018 GPUs, 5/8 on LH.
  • ​​​​
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
1. FRA-ORD
2. 01. 24. 2019
3. W
4. Y->C
5. Booked 09.10, 2018
6. Cleared at booking

1.LAX-FRA
5. Booked 09.10, 2018
6. Booked in D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.