Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Strange interaction with UA club staff after entering with Turkish Star Gold card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange interaction with UA club staff after entering with Turkish Star Gold card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold

Hey guys,

I was at the UA Club today, and I had accessed using my Turkish Elite (Star Gold) card. I asked the agent upstairs to print out a boarding pass. I went back to my seat, and after a while, I walked back over to get a drink. I saw the agent who had checked me into the club, and the agent who had printed my boarding pass, huddled over a screen, some sort of profile on me was pulled up (as it had my name in big letters), and they were pointing to different things on the screen. Confused, I went up and asked what the new gate for my flight was and the agent looked at a boarding pass in her hand and said oh, it's this one (pointing to another boarding pass for my flight, in my name, that she had just printed). I said "oh, you printed another boarding pass for me?" and she said "oh this was an accident.". They also were asking questions like "why don't you have a club membership if you travel so much?" I said "oh there is no need for one because if have Star Alliance Gold through Turkish... but how did you know I didn't have a club membership?" and she said "I looked you up, that's my job." It was just very odd and left me kind of shocked. Any thoughts on what was going on here?

Last edited by NoDestinations; Dec 19, 2017 at 11:53 pm
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
...but was the elevator working?

jasonp622, zeer0, findark and 13 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WingnutSYD
...but was the elevator working?

That would be weird, not strange.
PushingTin and chavala like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
Any thoughts on what was going on here?
Why do you sound surprised?

IMO - it is perfectly normal for lounge staffs to know the customers.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think I may have missed the point....
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Doesn't surprise me. Before I left, I once had the UC agent who checked me in accuse me of traveling on someone else's identity / card because the MP # was only 3 years younger than I was. After calling a GS agent to intervene in the ridiculous situation, I explained to the dragon that my parents signed me up for MP as soon as I started flying and I had been a member since I was 3. One of the many reasons I left, but nothing surprises me anymore what some of their employees will do to actively piss off their best customers...
porciuscato and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I am not certain there is one. And if there is it has safely navigated its way past me too.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
All airline employees are ultimately sales people
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by daron4000
Doesn't surprise me. Before I left, I once had the UC agent who checked me in accuse me of traveling on someone else's identity / card because the MP # was only 3 years younger than I was. After calling a GS agent to intervene in the ridiculous situation, I explained to the dragon that my parents signed me up for MP as soon as I started flying and I had been a member since I was 3. One of the many reasons I left, but nothing surprises me anymore what some of their employees will do to actively piss off their best customers...
So the UC agent thinks that the age of your mileage plus account is a better indication of identity than the valid driver's license/passport you had to present when you went through security, makes sense.

Good to know as my MP account is also only a few years younger than I am, so I guess I may encounter this at some point.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Did you compare the two boarding passes? I wonder if they noticed something with your ticket after printing the first BP that caused them to dig further and print a new one. Doing extra work just for the heck of it after a request is satisfied does not fit the average UA employee profile I've observed over many years.

It's also possible they were wondering if you snuck into the club, we all know they've been cracking down on unauthorized entries over the last year or so. They didn't accuse you of anything, and did what you needed them to do. I'd just leave it at that. If you notice it again, maybe it's time to figure out what's going on.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by enviroian
All airline employees are ultimately sales people
Sales is service, and service is sales. @:-)
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I guess I just missed the point too. I think I just expect airline staff to be robotic, that when they actually want to get to know me, it feels out of place.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This would not be surprising to me if you're flying on a UA FF# but using TK *G to enter the lounge. The BP and the card you show would "mismatch" and I could absolutely understand the staff following up on that.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
This would not be surprising to me if you're flying on a UA FF# but using TK *G to enter the lounge. The BP and the card you show would "mismatch" and I could absolutely understand the staff following up on that.
i always do this and never had an issue thus far. They typically enter your PNR before scanning the pass and then the other gold card details are entered manually just for lounge access. As long as the names on everything match i dont see why thered be a mismatch.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:45 am
Original Poster

So the TK Card is mine, I showed them the app, which doesnt lie about my status or card number... but if there was a mismatch, wouldnt it come up when I check into the club?

Originally Posted by JBord
Did you compare the two boarding passes? I wonder if they noticed something with your ticket after printing the first BP that caused them to dig further and print a new one. Doing extra work just for the heck of it after a request is satisfied does not fit the average UA employee profile I've observed over many years.

It's also possible they were wondering if you snuck into the club, we all know they've been cracking down on unauthorized entries over the last year or so. They didn't accuse you of anything, and did what you needed them to do. I'd just leave it at that. If you notice it again, maybe it's time to figure out what's going on.
Thats primarily why I was so parinoid. I have seen other posts (especially in DEN) of the UC hassling members to produce a physical Star Alliance Gold Card. TK never sent me one. But it all matches... next time if they give me a hard time Ill just call TK and have them read my name and card number to the UC...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 20, 2017 at 10:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.