Wiki Posts
Search

J to PEK - any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by buckybadger
...Does anyone have any experience with the United flights to PKE in J?...
No - United's never managed to put a passenger in a business seat.to Parkes (PKE), New South Wales, Australia.

I was about to say that United, try as they might, has never managed to put a passenger in a business seat to Beijing.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I think I was stuck on a 747 last time I flew SFO-PEK, so happy to see 777 now. UA food & service was fine and all else being equal I would take the increase RDM (and EQD) from flying UA. The only minus is that (like many TPAC flights) it is a daytime flight which makes it tough to sleep though easy to work.

If you have Global Entry, consider applying for an APAC/ABTC card as I normally find myself waiting an hour in the immigration lines at PEK.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Since, when I go to PEK, the easiest connection from my small town is through ORD I just have to fly that UA 772. The way to survive the 242 seating is to book early enough to get an aisle seat in row 6 in the front Business cabin. And I do get to enjoy the Polaris Lounge in both directions.
What is so special about row 6?
geckoflyer likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
My wife and I fly to PEK in J fairly often. My recommendation to you would be as follows:
  • Avoid Air China
  • Avoid Legacy United (3-class equipment) unless you can upgrade to F. I'd look for the 2-2-2 layout birds Continental used to fly, the 2-2-2 dreamliners or the new Polaris seating arrangement.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo

What is so special about row 6?
Row 6 on the 772 with three classes is in the front business cabin with only two rows of seats. Feels more private that the back business cabin that has three rows. Advantage is that it's far from the noise and lights of the galleys and far from the toilets. In general there is little movement of people in that area (except on my last return from HKG where two upgraded persons did not know that First Class has its own toilet). My wife and I like to get seats 6H and 6J.

Maybe this was too much OT but it might be helpful for the OP if he decides to fly back with UA through ORD.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Have you looked at the UA 788 option through IAD? I've flown that regularly in J and it's fine, with a 2-2-2 layout. Would definitely recommend over CA.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Scifience
Have you looked at the UA 788 option through IAD? I've flown that regularly in J and it's fine, with a 2-2-2 layout. Would definitely recommend over CA.
THIS
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Fly AC via YYZ. Great earnings on P fares and excellent plane.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Go to
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...018-01-25;sc=b
(I just gave you a dummy example so that (hopefully) you are using the older version)

Change the departure airport and duration to your specifications.
Further, click into the depart date field. A calendar picker should appear with two further options: Flexible Dates; Price Graph. If your dates and times are not set these two pickers are very useful.

Hainan and Air Canada are usually the two lowest fare airlines for Biz. Both lie flat on the long leg I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.