Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J to PEK - any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

J to PEK - any experiences?

I'm trying to decide between Air China or United to PKE and I'm planning on flying J. Does anyone have any experience with the United flights to PKE in J?

Prices are comparable - and SURPRISINGLY reasonable!

Ending in Beijing, so no transfer in PEK necessary. Routing through EWR on the way out and ORD on the way back with United.

Any experiences/suggestions?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Have you checked AC's P fares into PEK? The RDM difference for AC tickets in Mileage Plus is HUUGE, if you don't need the PQD.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportprof
Have you checked AC's P fares into PEK? The RDM difference for AC tickets in Mileage Plus is HUUGE, if you don't need the PQD.
I don't have status on anything - just a leisure flyer who is trying to upgrade my travel a little via smart purchases of J fares! - so the amount of extra $$ for P is prohibitive, regardless of the other benefits.

P = ~$7k pp
J= ~$2.5kpp
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by buckybadger
I don't have status on anything - just a leisure flyer who is trying to upgrade my travel a little via smart purchases of J fares! - so the amount of extra $$ for P is prohibitive, regardless of the other benefits.

P = ~$7k pp
J= ~$2.5kpp
What is your origin and month of flight? I think you're not getting the best fare on AC. J usually costs more than P, BTW.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportprof
What is your origin and month of flight? I think you're not getting the best fare on AC.
Looking to fly out 3/24/18 and back 4/1/17 from RDU.

Thanks for any help. I'm a total noob to anything beyond kayak searches...

2 people.

Isn't P first? Then I'm definitely doing something wrong!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
When are your flights? For UA, SFO - PEK has a 77W during some portions of the year which would be attractive if routing via SFO was an option and if you route via IAD you get the 788.

For UA, EWR - PEK is on an sCO 772 (2-2-2) and PEK - ORD is an sUA 772 (2-4-2).

I believe Air China on both the 777 and 748 is 2-2-2 with the same seat that United uses in PS J. I've flown Air China four times, 2 of which were in J but on the A330. My takeaway was that they seemed like the United of China. The hard product was fine and the soft product was perfectly serviceable but certainly not on the level of CX / SQ / NH / JL / BR / CI

I would second looking at AC but then I really like the B/E Super Diamond seat they use in J and others may have different views. It's also worth checking out the price of YYZ - PEK in J and then separately booking XYZ - YYZ in Y.

P is the discount J fare code which is likely what you've already found in your other examples. I'm RDU based so going via AC is definitely an option with our RDU - YYZ flight though that flight is Y only.

Just pulling up your dates and I would definitely investigate the DL option as well especially if you can somehow leave on Friday instead which would let you go RDU - DTW - PEK - DTW - PEK with DTW - PEK on the new A350 D1 suite.

Check out this link for Google Flights: https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...018-04-04;sc=b

Last edited by Duke787; Dec 13, 2017 at 12:51 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:49 pm

2 people.

Yes - you don't know what you're doing when looking for fares. Stay tuned for help from FT!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

2 people.

Possible source of confusion: AC is Air Canada, which I believe was the intended airline transportprof was talking about. Air China is CA.

AC P is deep discount business; CA P is full-fare First.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The departure/return dates are slightly different. The lowest price is $2247 in P booking classes for RDU-PEK.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...DU0UA2411;sc=b
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The departure/return dates are slightly different. The lowest price is $2247 in P booking classes for RDU-PEK.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...DU0UA2411;sc=b
This is about what I'm looking at - although the long-haul leg is in business in that itinerary, too. Although my actual dates are slightly different.

The first class fare for Air China is the ~$7k fare. Definitely just looking for business.

For those of you who have flown this or flown Air China - is this international business class cabin nicer than Air China?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Possible source of confusion: AC is Air Canada, which I believe was the intended airline transportprof was talking about. Air China is CA.

AC P is deep discount business; CA P is full-fare First.
^ You nailed it.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
I flew Air China last year and he flight was good. The service was great. The only thing was any phones had to be turned off for the entire flight, so if you had any movies or music you had no access. Food was good and the seats were comfy.

The worst part was transiting in PEK. It took 3+ hours to get through immigration. Plan a long layover for any connection.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:32 pm

I avoid CA at all costs. I live in China, am GS and fly MU within China because I dislike CA that much. Their ticketing is horrible. There are multiple horror stories on FT of tickets failing (usually involves a connection in PEK), and after i watched my CA flight take off in front of me while I was standing at the gate trying to board and they wouldn't accept my ticket, I decided CA was my absolute last resort ever.

AC P fare is a good option, or UA via SFO on the 77W is a good option. UA 772 via ord is a terrible plane but the lounge I think is worth going to. I'd pick the 77W over the Polaris lounge, but if not the 77W, I'd go via ORD even if it means 242.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19

UA 772 via ord is a terrible plane but the lounge I think is worth going to. I'd pick the 77W over the Polaris lounge, but if not the 77W, I'd go via ORD even if it means 242.
Since, when I go to PEK, the easiest connection from my small town is through ORD I just have to fly that UA 772. The way to survive the 242 seating is to book early enough to get an aisle seat in row 6 in the front Business cabin. And I do get to enjoy the Polaris Lounge in both directions.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
For those of you who have flown this or flown Air China - is this international business class cabin nicer than Air China?
Yes, UA gets the edge here, barely. There's the inflight language advantage, plus if/when your UA flight--from the USA at least--goes MX, UA has the edge. PEK is one of those places you just want your flight to leave.
geckoflyer and sinoflyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.