Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread inOceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) forum
Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?
United Airlines Launches Inaugural Flight Between San Francisco and Tahiti, Announces it will Extend to Year-Round Service

United launches the only nonstop service to the Islands of Tahiti by a U.S. carrier from the mainland United States

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today started the only nonstop service by a U.S. carrier to the Islands of Tahiti. The airline launched its first flight between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti. As part of its inaugural celebration, United also announced it is extending its Tahiti schedule to year-round service from San Francisco.

"We are thrilled to extend this exciting flight to a year-round schedule," said Janet Lamkin. "For Californians and our customers connecting through San Francisco, this route offers an escape to a little corner of paradise."

United's newest international flight offers customers a convenient gateway to the islands of French Polynesia including Mo'orea, Bora Bora, the Marquesas and Rangiroa. Starting today, United's service to Tahiti departs San Francisco International Airport on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Beginning March 30, 2019, United will begin year-round service on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. United will operate the route with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft throughout the year. Tickets are available for purchase on united.com.
Flight City Pair Depart Arrive
UA 115 San Francisco - Tahiti 2:45 p.m. 9:25 p.m.
UA 114 Tahiti - San Francisco 11:45 p.m. 9:50 a.m. next day

United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. From San Francisco, United will continue to operate nonstop seasonal summer service to Zurich in 2019 and recently announced it will be the only U.S. carrier to offer daily, year-round nonstop service to Amsterdam beginning March 30, 2019.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It's SFO-PPT 788 starts October 30 2018.

United Airlines adds the South Pacific's Most Stunning Tropical Paradise to its Growing List of New Routes

Tahiti becomes the 13th international route announced by the airline in 2017
United's new nonstop flight from SFO to Tahiti connects customers to beautiful beaches, overwater bungalows, coral atolls and forested volcanoes

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 13, 2017 -- United Airlines (UAL), the leading carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area, today announced it will begin service between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti, the South Pacific's gateway to more than 118 islands in French Polynesia including Bora Bora, Moorea, the Marquesas and Raiatea. United is the only U.S. carrier offering nonstop service to Tahiti from the mainland United States. Tickets are now available for purchase.

"We are excited to announce Tahiti as our 13th new international route this year, and we are even more thrilled about offering our customers a whole new world of vacation opportunities," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "We know our customers want more destinations to choose from to escape the winter weather, and we look forward to being the airline that connects them to this corner of paradise.

"United's service from San Francisco will connect customers to the South Pacific's most pristine waters, white sand beaches, stunning turquoise lagoons, coral atolls and volcanic mountain peaks. Visitors to the islands experience a tropical paradise and countless spaces to relax and reconnect in natural beauty and authentic French Polynesian island culture.

United will operate nonstop service, three times weekly with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft between its San Francisco hub and Fa'a'ā International Airport (PPT), beginning Oct. 30, 2018, through March 28, 2019, subject to government approval.
Winter 2018 schedule – Subject to government approval
UA 115 SFO – PPT Tues/Thurs/Sun 2:45 p.m. - 9:25 p.m
UA 114 PPT – SFO Tues/Thurs/Sun 11:45 p.m. - 9:50 a.m. next day
*Flight Times Subject to Change

United's Long History Connecting Customers to the Pacific Islands
United's love affair with the Pacific islands started more than 70 years ago and continues today. It began in 1947 with United's first flight across the Pacific from San Francisco to Honolulu, making the Hawaiian Islands an easily accessible destination for tourism and business. Today, United offers more flights between the mainland and the Hawaiian Islands than any other U.S. carrier.

In 1968, United expanded its Pacific network linking the Hawaiian Islands, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Guam. Today, nearly half a century later, United's Island Hopper - Flight 155 - departs Guam in the morning and makes a series of five, one-hour flights to the islands of Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae; Kwajalein and Majuro. In addition to the airline's popular Island Hopper service, United connects customers from Guam to other island destinations including Palau, Yap and the Philippines.

In 1986, United began nonstop service from its West Coast hubs in the U.S. to Sydney and Melbourne, Australia. Today, United is the largest U.S. carrier to serve Australia, offering the most seats to Sydney and Melbourne with its daily nonstop service from San Francisco and Los Angeles.Building its powerful Pacific network, last year United began nonstop service from San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand, becoming the largest mainland U.S. carrier to serve the City of Sails.

United's San Francisco Hub
United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. Beginning in June 2018, United will start nonstop seasonal summer service between San Francisco and Zurich.
Print Wikipost

UA SFO-PPT 787-8 Experiences, QA, .....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:46 am

But they need to import everything including food, so I’m sure the people who live there will pay a pretty penny to not starve.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Hello, hawkswin! Did you end up getting tested in L.A.? May I ask where, and your experience of how it went? After seeing your testimonial I am seriously considering a trip to PPT in September. Thank you!
I just returned from a great r/t SFO/PPT so will share everything I saw, learned and observed in a quick reply. First off, the hassles are worth it to get there to paradise and this sentiment was shared by every traveler I met. The test is THE determining factor for many people so ensure that's squared away first. My test was at Good Life Medical Services in West Hollywood ($300 no insurance cost with expedited fee, results from test at 1:30pm was 9am next day), the only clinic listed on the Tahiti tourism website, but I spoke with many who got tests elsewhere such as Stanford Med in the Bay Area. The SFO checkin agent said Dignity Health in San Bruno near SFO also seemed to be an option for some. All the test was at Good Life Medical Services was a driveup for a quick nasal swab, simple. My test stated "SARS-CoV-2 (COVID 19) by RT-PCR" and that's what they want to see so make sure your test has that. It did not state the specific testing equipment but the list of approved/non approved tests didn't seem to be referenced upon checkin or at the gate. Everyone on my outbound last week didn't seem to have any issues but we did hear of others who said they came across travelers who were denied (on various airlines) because of insufficient testing methods used, generally Europeans I was told. Also my testing time was stamped 12 noon rather than 1:30pm, just inside the 72 hour window but that turned out not to be an issue as dates were only thing I saw checked (had photo proof at clinic if it would've been flagged). We were fortunate to get quick results for the test and only work with a provider that can do that if possible because there were many who said they didn't get results until very close to flight time. Print the test results and the ETIS govt form w/barcode to bring to airport.

Upon landing in PPT, the ETIS is scanned and a test is given to self administer then drop off at hotel on day 4 of the trip, cheek and nasal swabs. If there is no response, then that means the test is negative.

The timing of the SFO>PPT is a racket for local hotels because it's not possible to get off of Tahiti after landing. For United to deliver travelers to French Polynesia, the airline should actually be paid by Tahiti. We stayed at the nearby Intercontinental ($16 taxi) which is the best in the area but expensive for what it is. On the return flight, we went there again for a day room (3pm-10pm rate) of $260 in betweeen our Bora Bora flight to PPT and onto SFO but can't recommend it because there was room shaking music from the band playing before sunset, which our room was situated next to.

Air Tahiti is the interisland airline and the checkins are totally chaotic. I figured about 90 minutes would be fine the following morning after arrival to PPT but when we arrived to airport, there was a very long line to check into Air Tahiti flights. They're sticklers about bag and carryon weights so be warned. However, upon arrival in Bora Bora, all the cares melted away and it was the trip of a lifetime, worth every dollar and any planning hassles. I'd do it again in Economy Plus easily as the loads are super light still. Also noticed a lot of off duty airline crew taking advantage of the light loads to fly there for leisure. Can't recommend this flight enough and with the strict requirements, it's one of the safest people can fly I feel. Go for it! It's not just the sights, water activities, food and overwater bungalows worth visiting for as everyone there is in a great, glowing mood. Been a long time since I've been in an environment where news doesn't matter and the vibes are all positive.
JNelson113, nnn, uanj and 2 others like this.

Last edited by hawkswin; Aug 28, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by susiesan
What sort of lucrative cargo could there be between SFO and PPT? French Polynesia doesn't really produce anything export.
Probably the same stuff we need in Hawaii that is needed quickly and can't be shipped via ship - certain foodstuff, medical supplies, replacement parts, etc....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Has anyone ever seen a business saver award on this route? I have the miles to go in J but after checking the award calendar almost daily I never see business saver awards seats. My trip is not until January (maybe, if my cruise is not cancelled) and I am still checking frequently. I called UA and asked to be put on an upgrade waitlist for a J saver award but they would not do it. I can wait until the last minute and hope UA has not sold the business seats.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 1:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I called UA and asked to be put on an upgrade waitlist for a J saver award but they would not do it. ....
Try more than once, many are reporting this can take 2, 3 tries. It can be done -- Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Old Sep 8, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Has anyone ever seen a business saver award on this route? I have the miles to go in J but after checking the award calendar almost daily I never see business saver awards seats. My trip is not until January (maybe, if my cruise is not cancelled) and I am still checking frequently. I called UA and asked to be put on an upgrade waitlist for a J saver award but they would not do it. I can wait until the last minute and hope UA has not sold the business seats.
What's your UA status? If you have access to IN class, you will occasionally see business saver availability. I used to see it when I had 1K status. Since dipping down to Silver, I don't have access to that inventory and have not seen any availability over the past year.

I would HUCA to waitlist for I class. My wife and I are currently waitlisted for a trip next May. We've had luck in the past initiating the waitlist via Twitter DM - could be worth a shot.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:52 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Try more than once, many are reporting this can take 2, 3 tries. It can be done -- Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Originally Posted by rdh0924
I would HUCA to waitlist for I class. My wife and I are currently waitlisted for a trip next May. We've had luck in the past initiating the waitlist via Twitter DM - could be worth a shot.
I concur with HUCA. I have waitlisted for I over the phone after I booked X online a few times. And the I waitlist cleared at least twice that I can recall. I did not have to HUCA, but would if the agent said they couldn't do it.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Anybody Scoring any PlusPoints UGs to PPT?

After having flown 140K domestically this year, all for work, I am really itching to go somewhere peaceful and nice, so I am wondering if anyone has caught any UGs lately? I am inclined to just pay for J if the odds are too long.

Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zombietooth
After having flown 140K domestically this year, all for work, I am really itching to go somewhere peaceful and nice, so I am wondering if anyone has caught any UGs lately? I am inclined to just pay for J if the odds are too long.

Thanks!
The problem is that United does not open up PZ spaces well in advance. If you look at the first week of January, there are PZ9 available.
Good luck.

Edit: I found more PZ opened now. See this post for other TPac destinations.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32930716-post52.html

Last edited by Kmxu; Jan 2, 2021 at 1:02 am
Old Jan 2, 2021, 3:41 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by zombietooth

Thanks!
All you have to do is watch for a bit on the outgoing and incoming flight seating... I've done that for several months with this route and for the most part it goes out with open J seats... I would say your chance of UG is good on this route as well as most current routes anywhere given the current circumstances...
Old Jan 2, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The problem is that United does not open up PZ spaces well in advance. If you look at the first week of January, there are PZ9 available.
Good luck.

Edit: I found more PZ opened now. See this post for other TPac destinations.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32930716-post52.html
Originally Posted by Buzzman
All you have to do is watch for a bit on the outgoing and incoming flight seating... I've done that for several months with this route and for the most part it goes out with open J seats... I would say your chance of UG is good on this route as well as most current routes anywhere given the current circumstances...
Thank you both for the useful and timely information.

Happy New Year!
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:22 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Originally Posted by hawkswin
I just returned from a great r/t SFO/PPT so will share everything I saw, learned and observed in a quick reply. First off, the hassles are worth it to get there to paradise and this sentiment was shared by every traveler I met. The test is THE determining factor for many people so ensure that's squared away first. My test was at Good Life Medical Services in West Hollywood ($300 no insurance cost with expedited fee, results from test at 1:30pm was 9am next day), the only clinic listed on the Tahiti tourism website, but I spoke with many who got tests elsewhere such as Stanford Med in the Bay Area. The SFO checkin agent said Dignity Health in San Bruno near SFO also seemed to be an option for some. All the test was at Good Life Medical Services was a driveup for a quick nasal swab, simple. My test stated "SARS-CoV-2 (COVID 19) by RT-PCR" and that's what they want to see so make sure your test has that. It did not state the specific testing equipment but the list of approved/non approved tests didn't seem to be referenced upon checkin or at the gate. Everyone on my outbound last week didn't seem to have any issues but we did hear of others who said they came across travelers who were denied (on various airlines) because of insufficient testing methods used, generally Europeans I was told. Also my testing time was stamped 12 noon rather than 1:30pm, just inside the 72 hour window but that turned out not to be an issue as dates were only thing I saw checked (had photo proof at clinic if it would've been flagged). We were fortunate to get quick results for the test and only work with a provider that can do that if possible because there were many who said they didn't get results until very close to flight time. Print the test results and the ETIS govt form w/barcode to bring to airport.

Upon landing in PPT, the ETIS is scanned and a test is given to self administer then drop off at hotel on day 4 of the trip, cheek and nasal swabs. If there is no response, then that means the test is negative.

The timing of the SFO>PPT is a racket for local hotels because it's not possible to get off of Tahiti after landing. For United to deliver travelers to French Polynesia, the airline should actually be paid by Tahiti. We stayed at the nearby Intercontinental ($16 taxi) which is the best in the area but expensive for what it is. On the return flight, we went there again for a day room (3pm-10pm rate) of $260 in betweeen our Bora Bora flight to PPT and onto SFO but can't recommend it because there was room shaking music from the band playing before sunset, which our room was situated next to.

Air Tahiti is the interisland airline and the checkins are totally chaotic. I figured about 90 minutes would be fine the following morning after arrival to PPT but when we arrived to airport, there was a very long line to check into Air Tahiti flights. They're sticklers about bag and carryon weights so be warned. However, upon arrival in Bora Bora, all the cares melted away and it was the trip of a lifetime, worth every dollar and any planning hassles. I'd do it again in Economy Plus easily as the loads are super light still. Also noticed a lot of off duty airline crew taking advantage of the light loads to fly there for leisure. Can't recommend this flight enough and with the strict requirements, it's one of the safest people can fly I feel. Go for it! It's not just the sights, water activities, food and overwater bungalows worth visiting for as everyone there is in a great, glowing mood. Been a long time since I've been in an environment where news doesn't matter and the vibes are all positive.
What they dont tell you is that Covid,-19 is rampant there. We caught it at Pappeete airport the day after we arrived on our way to Bora Bora. The preflight testing before boarding at SFO gives you a false sense of security.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by arisaa
What they dont tell you is that Covid,-19 is rampant there. We caught it at Pappeete airport the day after we arrived on our way to Bora Bora. The preflight testing before boarding at SFO gives you a false sense of security.
How do you know it was from the airport? Could have been from the flight or USA airport, hotel or other contact I imagine... Hope you are ok...
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:54 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
How do you know it was from the airport? Could have been from the flight or USA airport, hotel or other contact I imagine... Hope you are ok...
Well, I dd not have it before flying there (did the test within 72 hrs of flying there) and it is unlikely that we caught it at our over-water bungalow at Bora Bora. In between was the airport at PPT and he flight to Bora Bora. The airport was not clean, I saw no sanitizing and no social distancing. My biggest mistake in years was that I failed to sanitize as I usually do. If you looked at the buses outside the terminal, the locals were literally crammed in. Yup, COVID is rampant there. By comparison, we just went to a resort in Punta Cana in the DR and the you saw all sorts of sanitizing at PUJ.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Of note, now that PPT is closed, United has cancelled this route until at least Mar.31

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.