Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United/Skywest - Problems with FA's Putting Videos on Internet while Working

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United/Skywest - Problems with FA's Putting Videos on Internet while Working

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:05 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Moderator note: While we appreciate the conversation here, just a quick word on why the original video was removed from FlyerTalk. We moderate to our FlyerTalk rules. The rule on privacy is below. The video posted contained the name of the person whose account it was from and, as a result, violated our rule.

"Privacy - Respect the privacy of other members and non-members. Do not post private information of others. Do not post the names or contact information of travel company and program employees unless they hold executive management status (e.g. presidents, vice-presidents, managing directors)."
getagb likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don’t feel this is sufficiently patterned behavior to make a big deal out of it. If you’re on one of the few flights where you see something that bothers you, just send in a complaint.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
People use their phones to record stuff all the time...you're probably in the background of videos you didn't even know were taken many times each year. Lots of passengers do this on aircraft, UA or not, and honestly, if I'm in passing in the background on someone else's video, I couldn't care less, and really, mostly wouldn't even know.

The biggest issue I have if these were 'on the clock' FAs doing it while they were working. Or representing the carrier as they were deadheading to their departure point. I don't believe this is part of a crew members' duties, and I'd be fairly surprised if most carriers don't have policies around this already (i.e. prohibiting crew members from taking footage onboard while working/distributing to social media). I'd also argue that even if it weren't specifically addressed, it could be seen as a distraction from duties (if that's what they are paying attention to rather than a potential safety concern).

That said, some items I'm seeing on here that should be addressed:

If the flight was Skywest, they are the ones who need to be responding to this. I get that its booked as United, yada, yada, but getting to Skywest for a response is the right thing to do - while UA contracts with Skywest and sets standards on a lot of things, Skywest is ultimately the carrier that's responsible for handling their own employees.

I have never really seen FAs - either working or deadheading or otherwise in uniform, filming any part of the flight, much less posting it. Maybe I've been lucky not too. I've seen pax, sure, but not employees.

On the issue of pax not being allowed to take photos/videos, I know there have been a couple of examples on FT, but I have not heard or seen this in real life. Granted, I don't take pictures on board all that often. Sometimes I do when traveling with my family or other companions, but when we do it quietly in our own little group, I've never had an issue. Ditto with the occasional photo I've taken of meals, etc. I've even had an opposite example, at one point when my daugther was an infant, when the door was still open but boarding complete (I think we had a delay), the pilot invited us up to the cockpit for a few minutes. My wife asked if we could take a picture...pilot happily indulged and joined in a photo..FA also came into another a couple of minutes later. I even asked them if we were ok to post on Facebook, and the crew members said no issue.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by riphamilton
here's a perfect example of a UA pilot hawking watches from a 787 flight deck (instagram post should load inline): instagram link

if an employee posts his or her travels to a public insta/snap account, good for them! but i think UA/OO should have an issue when the employee (a) is posting on company time - especially when the faces of passengers are shown, and (b) creating paid content for a company other than UA while in a UA uniform.
Man this is so tacky. Agreed.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by State of Trance
The only one that I could possibly see as an issue is the second. FAs shouldn't be mocking their passengers while on the job. Otherwise, the rest all seem perfectly reasonable social media posts in 2017. Maybe it's an issue of an age or generation gap here since I'm used to seeing similar snaps or IG posts from most other 20-something year olds regularly.
As a 20 something, I agree 2 is probably the only one I have issue with, although I’m sure the airline would have an issue with 3 as well, and it’s pretty stupid to advertise such an action publicly.

The easiest way I handle things like Snapchat though is to just ignore it. There’s a lot of saturation, and things posted I don’t really want to see, so I don’t really use Snapchat that often.

The OP’s expectation of privacy from videos in a public setting is also a little silly. Everyone ends up in photos and videos, it’s a fact of life.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DCP2016
As an aside, you do not have the expectation of privacy in public. While private companies might have rules in place to disallow photography/videos, the rule is if you are in public everyone has the right to film/video you. If you don't like it, you can stay at home with the shades drawn.

That being said, this is EXTREMELY HYPOCRITICAL considering United IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST offenders next to American Airlines of stopping individuals of taking pictures of their seat-back, food, any picture on-board etc. There are countless articles out there of United employees yelling, screaming at, or even kicking off passengers for using their camera.

If they are going to have a policy like this, it should be enforced for employees as well or they shouldn't have a policy like it in the first place. The little paragraph about personal video/photography in the United Magazine is extremely vague and up to interpretation.
They are? I take anywhere from 2-12+ photos of most of my flights, depending on what happens on the aircraft. I've never been stopped, never questioned, never even looked at twice. Taking pics of the entire plane, all cabins (if I board before passengers start), even crews that I've had great memories with. So, what's your evidence that UA/AA are the biggest offenders? I'd def say that intl carriers care insanely more about photos, although after speaking with a head FA/purser, they allow it. I've never even had to ASK for permisison on an american carrier (AA/UA/DL).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Curious as to UA’s internal policy on this. I know of companies - including one I’ve worked for - that prohibit posting photos or videos of the workplace to social media.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by emcampbe
People use their phones to record stuff all the time...you're probably in the background of videos you didn't even know were taken many times each year. Lots of passengers do this on aircraft, UA or not, and honestly, if I'm in passing in the background on someone else's video, I couldn't care less ...
That's great for you. Some do care.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Hengilas
Man this is so tacky. Agreed.
Terrible watch too... Not sure why he didn't just buy a vintage top time if he wanted a dual register chrono with an aviation heritage.
getagb likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kb9522
Terrible watch too... Not sure why he didn't just buy a vintage top time if he wanted a dual register chrono with an aviation heritage.
Cause someone's paying him
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
These ladies seemed like they were having fun, with short video clips compiled to make a video. The focus wasn't on others, it was on them. Instead of reading a magazine during a short break, they make use of a camera. I can't stand the face modification software and I think the video is horrible, but younger people seem to enjoy this, and it's their way of sharing their life with friends and family. Many of us that are older may disagree, but video in public is a fact of life.

So my only advice is to not pick your nose, cheat on your spouse, or divulge company/client secrets in public. Beyond that you are simply background noise to some person's video. It happens, so deal with it.
LeahRemini likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:54 am

I don't think there is any expectation of privacy onboard a flight and while it isn't a public space it isn't private either. I don't really see any difference from someone working in the mall uploading a short video where you cannot readily identify anyone else.

There are many things we'd like in life, not all are things we'll get. If you'd rather not be part of other people's photos and/or videos you shouldn't fly with other people.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
They are? I take anywhere from 2-12+ photos of most of my flights, depending on what happens on the aircraft. I've never been stopped, never questioned, never even looked at twice. Taking pics of the entire plane, all cabins (if I board before passengers start), even crews that I've had great memories with. So, what's your evidence that UA/AA are the biggest offenders? I'd def say that intl carriers care insanely more about photos, although after speaking with a head FA/purser, they allow it. I've never even had to ASK for permisison on an american carrier (AA/UA/DL).
I think it was "Lucky" or one o the other credit card blogs who got kicked off of a UA flight for taking photos at the seat.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I think it was "Lucky" or one o the other credit card blogs who got kicked off of a UA flight for taking photos at the seat.
Beleive you are thinking about MatthewLAX, Passenger kicked off UA flight for taking photo?

and

another incident was Removed from UA Flight Upon Request of Captain & Lead F/A for Taking Photos in Cabin

While rare, it has happened and there was more to each incident

But let's not re-hash these older incidents and focus on the OP's concern about being recorded by other passengers or crew.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2017 at 4:11 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
You maybe seeing more and more inflight recording by FA's. Flight Attendant VLOGS have taken off in popularity and I even follow couple of them on YouTube. The GOOD ones don't put passengers nor their coworkers in their edited video. Since some of the Vloggers have become YouTube celebrities, I'm sure more and more copycats will try to follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.