Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United/Skywest - Problems with FA's Putting Videos on Internet while Working

Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

I've been on flights recently where the flight attendants have been using their personal iPhones to record and/or live broadcast video into social media platforms. Snapchat, Facebook Live, and Instagram to name but three.

I previously lodged a complaint about one of these videos with United/Skywest out of ORD. United punted the issue to Skywest (although the problem is endemic and growing).

This one appeared today - it looks to be two FA's from Skywest ORD, one of which has put on SC live recordings from in-flight as well as pictures of passengers.

I have this year had to routinely tell people to stop filming me - apparently some believe live-broadcasting their boarding/departure from a flight newsworthy. While apparently live-broadcasting on these apps is still unavailable from the in-flight wifi, is it only a matter of time?

But I'm not going to tolerate working FA's and other airline employees to violate my privacy and safety while I'm flying.

I've refrained from going public with these in the past, but lack of action from United, Skywest, American, and Southwest leave me little choice.

Moderator Note
After review by the UA Moderator Team, it is felt the posting of the actual video, including the FA's name and images of multiple UA employees is an FT Rule 21 violation.
Privacy
Respect the privacy of other members and non-members. Do not post private information of others. Do not post the names or contact information of travel company and program employees unless they hold executive management status (e.g. presidents, vice-presidents, managing directors).
It is fine to describe the video contents but posting a copy of a video will not be permitted.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2017 at 7:03 pm Reason: removed comments on moderation
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not something I've encountered, and it appears some people do not understand how to manage social media, but I would still refrain from posting the links here.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
This is not something I've encountered, and it appears some people do not understand how to manage social media, but I would still refrain from posting the links here.
These aren't "some people", but flight attendants. I don't know how many times I've heard their mantra "we're here for passenger's safety and security".
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimmc66
These aren't "some people", but flight attendants. I don't know how many times I've heard their mantra "we're here for passenger's safety and security".
Although I agree that this video is unprofessional on the part of the FA, it appears that you've saved and re-uploaded the FA's snapchat video, which certainly feels like an intrusion into her privacy. Please do correct me if I've misunderstood.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Although I agree that this video is unprofessional on the part of the FA, it appears that you've saved and re-uploaded the FA's snapchat video, which certainly feels like an intrusion into her privacy. Please do correct me if I've misunderstood.
It's publicly available. It's not like someone hacked her phone and stole it. She UPLOADED IT to a public space.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
When the FA posts publicly on the internet, he/she waives all privacy.

I think the issue is FAs posting pics of passengers. That's a potential privacy violation.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's publicly available. It's not like someone hacked her phone and stole it. She UPLOADED IT to a public space.
Originally Posted by Kacee
When the FA posts publicly on the internet, he/she waives all privacy.

I think the issue is FAs posting pics of passengers. That's a potential privacy violation.
Sounds like a debate about the 'letter' vs. the 'intention'. It's incredibly unlikely that the FA knew she was sharing this video indiscriminately, and it doesn't appear that outside of snapchat she did. I am not internet sherlock, and I am not using snapchat, but the only publicly available links I can find are attributable to jimmc66.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:31 pm

Snapchat videos are only viewable publicly as stories for 24 hours. In order to 'view it' you would need to know her snapchat handle. In order to save one you would need a special app/hack/software on your phone to do so.

I saw no passenger face at all in that video. Just 2 or 3 flight attendants having fun on snapchat.

There's a lot of unanswered questions here. How did "you" or at least the "youtube account" manage to save her snapchat video to upload it to youtube?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:37 pm

Uploading it to the snapchat server is COMPLETELY different from uploading it to youtube. So unless you have evidence that she is personally putting these on youtube herself; someone else is saving and distributing her PRIVATE videos. Yes Private, as Snapchat does not allow for the saving of ANY snap.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Well, somebody is gonna get suspended as a result of this thread. Whether it's from SkyWest, Snapchat, YouTube, or Flyertalk remains to be seen.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Uploading it to the snapchat server is COMPLETELY different from uploading it to youtube. So unless you have evidence that she is personally putting these on youtube herself; someone else is saving and distributing her PRIVATE videos. Yes Private, as Snapchat does not allow for the saving of ANY snap.
i can see this thread devolving into a snapchat debate, but her snapchat account is public. yes public, as anyone (even random internet creeps) have the ability to view and manipulate what is uploaded. doing silly stuff at work and posting it to a private account is one thing, but posting it to a public account and being surprised that a thread like this results is naive.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Snapchat videos are only viewable publicly as stories for 24 hours. In order to 'view it' you would need to know her snapchat handle. In order to save one you would need a special app/hack/software on your phone to do so.
As I understand Snapchat accounts CAN be set to "private". This one is not. And no "special hack" is necessary - clicking "record" and "save" on a Macintosh or iOS device is built-in. No different than recording a live broadcast off your TV.

I saw no passenger face at all in that video. Just 2 or 3 flight attendants having fun on snapchat.
There ARE passengers shown at about :44. Others have been removed apparently to avoid further privacy violations.

Originally Posted by riphamilton
i can see this thread devolving into a snapchat debate, but her snapchat account is public. yes public, as anyone (even random internet creeps) have the ability to view and manipulate what is uploaded. doing silly stuff at work and posting it to a private account is one thing, but posting it to a public account and being surprised that a thread like this results is naive.
True.

The thread would be better to stay on the issue. Do you believe flight attendants/pilots/baggage handlers/ground maintenance/etc should be allowed to video and post videos WHILE WORKING? Do you believe passengers are entitled to some modicum of privacy from the airline employees that are charged with their safety and security?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2017 at 3:19 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Pretty cute FA’s imho
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I agree there's a big difference between an airline employee filming and a fellow passenger doing it. The employee should be focused on activities to increase the passenger experience, not creating problems and unease.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Some of the comments here about Social media and privacy..."it's private for my very best 23,478 friends!"

All these apps are changing. SnapChat itself let's you save things others post to the Snapchat convo or directly to your camera roll. It'll notify the poster what you did but you don't need a "hack".

If you put something on social media it's public. Full stop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.