Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-XIY (Xi'an, China) summer seasonal service discontinued {will not return in 2018}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-XIY (Xi'an, China) summer seasonal service discontinued {will not return in 2018}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL

first HGH, now XIY. brian sumers (all credit to him) tweeted a what is probably a screenshot of a UA internal memo that states XIY service will not return next summer:

Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
That sucks - it was a route I did want to try. Do folks think CTU will get chopped at some point as well, or does that have enough corporate traffic to be sustainable? I also wonder if primary cause is the rise of Chinese airlines flying internationally...I know folks will want to point the finger at the Dao incident.

I also wonder where the Dreamliner is going to go...feel like UA has a lot of them but doesn’t necessarily do as well on long/thin routes that it should service. Maybe make SFO-AKL a a year-round route with downgauged/less frequent service during off peak season?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by riphamilton
first HGH, now XIY. brian sumers (all credit to him) tweeted a what is probably a screenshot of a UA internal memo that states XIY service will not return next summer:

Hate to say I told you so, but I called this over two years ago: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25478610-post78.html I am sure I deserved some of the crud I took But United's damaged brand was simply not going to attract the kind of traffic ex-XIY to make this flight viable.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
That sucks - it was a route I did want to try. Do folks think CTU will get chopped at some point as well, or does that have enough corporate traffic to be sustainable? I also wonder if primary cause is the rise of Chinese airlines flying internationally...I know folks will want to point the finger at the Dao incident.

I also wonder where the Dreamliner is going to go...feel like UA has a lot of them but doesn’t necessarily do as well on long/thin routes that it should service. Maybe make SFO-AKL a a year-round route with downgauged/less frequent service during off peak season?
CTU is full of Apple employees in the front cabin. Won’t be an issue to get axed.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by krispykrme
CTU is full of Apple employees in the front cabin.
On GPUs? Probably the easiest long-haul upgrade in the UA system.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
While you're right about clearing into R, I think they don't bother with the 'G' and 'U' parts.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
O.O...any other tips on for easiest long-haul R availability? How do you know this? Just experience?

I've found SFO-TPE to have pretty good R open on Tues/Wed..but I really only have an idea of ease-of-upgrade for flight routes I've traveled. I haven't spent much time investigating others for potential mileage run ops. But since I've got 8 GPUs to burn next year, no corporate travel, and a foreign address...if there are some decent longhauls with R that aren't too expensive maybe I could put together 2-3 MRs/travel trips. I looked briefly at an east asia to south america connection United trip for fun. For about $2k you can get ~30k miles. But you spend 33 hours traveling, and I didn't investigate if the EWR-<south america> leg could clear.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
It is weird that UA didn't mention XIY can also be served by connecting partner Juneyao Airlines with a connection at PVG. UA sells those tickets though.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
"...with convenient connections at PEK (Beijing)."
LOL

PEK is anything but convenient for connections....

Now that all these China flights are failing, can we get BKK back now please...
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by goodeats21
LOL

PEK is anything but convenient for connections....

Now that all these China flights are failing, can we get BKK back now please...
completely agreed on PEK and BKK part. Does it mean United will decide to stop pursing China's 2nd-tier cities?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I took PVG-ORD flight after the cancellation of PVG-SFO on Monday. It was 2/3 empty.
Perhaps, United does not want travelers to take its flight to China by pricing unreasonably high. For example, IAD-PEK, $1700 in economy, $1497 in Business one-way as part of round trip search. For travelling to PVG in February, the lowest fare is W. Nobody will buy this ticket unless you have to burn a GPU.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by washeelers747
completely agreed on PEK and BKK part. Does it mean United will decide to stop pursing China's 2nd-tier cities?
Haven't they already? HGH and XIY are gone. CTU really may not be that far behind. One corporate contract (Apple) does not save a flight from the chopping block.

-RM
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Haven't they already? HGH and XIY are gone. CTU really may not be that far behind. One corporate contract (Apple) does not save a flight from the chopping block.

-RM
As Chinese airlines continue to grow, I think it will be harder to justify flying outside of the major cities. The domestic airlines will always get more traffic ex-China, and there’s never going to be enough destination traffic ex-US (at least that I can foresee) to sustain these routes.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by spin88
Hate to say I told you so, but I called this over two years ago: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25478610-post78.html I am sure I deserved some of the crud I took But United's damaged brand was simply not going to attract the kind of traffic ex-XIY to make this flight viable.
The lack of any flights at XIY to the US tends to suggest there aren’t many brands (damaged or not) that can attract sufficient traffic to make nonstop service viable.

incidentally, since we are referencing posts several years old, at the time you seemed rather certain that SFO/LAX-BKK could not be done with a 787-9... since then, SFO-SIN, LAX-SIN and IAH-SYD all have been announced, each longer than SFO/LAX-BKK.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by spin88
I seriously seriously doubt it's the 'brand' that caused any of this whatsoever. I would put money that it's simply the market. Have you seen other UA flights to Asia? Have UA flights domestically been empty since 'the incident'? Quite opposite, flights have been fuller and fuller than before, despite basic economy, etc.
At the airport on a Sat and my flight is 100% full. (Yes it's one data point lol) The brand is fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.