Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-XIY (Xi'an, China) summer seasonal service discontinued {will not return in 2018}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-XIY (Xi'an, China) summer seasonal service discontinued {will not return in 2018}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Wasn't there part of the IFE commercials during Smisek a few years ago where they tout how UA has the most coverage to the "interior of China"?

Maybe in forgoing that they'll start the new long and thin routes that bypass the old need for 5th freedom/connections. With SIN they showed they're willing to play ball.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Wasn't there part of the IFE commercials during Smisek a few years ago where they tout how UA has the most coverage to the "interior of China"?
No surprise; that was a major part of the route strategy with the 787s. Maybe UA was flat out wrong at the time. Maybe other things evolved in the interim. It appears UA is no longer willing to press its luck on those routes.
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Maybe in forgoing that they'll start the new long and thin routes that bypass the old need for 5th freedom/connections.
Isn't that what these China routes were? Skipping over a connection in Tokyo to get right to the smaller onward destination.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
No surprise; that was a major part of the route strategy with the 787s. Maybe UA was flat out wrong at the time. Maybe other things evolved in the interim. It appears UA is no longer willing to press its luck on those routes.
Isn't that what these China routes were? Skipping over a connection in Tokyo to get right to the smaller onward destination.
Sorry I meant to other countries (SGN, BKK) not putting it all on maintain China.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know how much premium traffic there is to XIY. HGH is probably better but it did not work either. CTU is even better so hopefully it works out.

Wasn't some of this done because of subsidy from the Chinese cities/airports?

It is not premium cabin but I wonder how much UA developed the tourist group market - both US to China (going in from City X and out from City Y, reducing domestic China flying which is frequently seriously delayed) and China to US. I think UA has been able to keep the TPE flight going partially because of the local outbound tourist market.

At the end of the day, if the product is inferior, you can only compete on price and UA can't because it is the highest cost producer compared to the Asian carriers.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Disappointed to see this route go, however every time I would visit Shaanxi or Xian we would go to Shanghai first to visit with our China HQ first, making the non stop flight completely pointless for me. Also that whole area is a big oil / petrochemical area, quite possible the slow down in global commodities negatively effected this route. The good news is it is still really easy to get to Xian from any of the major Chinese cities.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by hirohito888
They can always use the 787 to give SFO-PPT a shot.
I agree. The plane for SFO-XIY spent the night at XIY and it flew 3x weekly, so it essentially had a single 788 for itself 6 days per week. Going off of the flight schedule for SFO-XIY, they could do a SFO1320-1850PPT and PPT2050-820+1SFO route 6 days per week and not have to really change the aircraft schedule. (I know it's an over simplification and a dream.)
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by In The 216
It has nothing to do with the brand; it has everything to do with the market for travel to XIY. If it was the brand but the demand was there, other airlines would be jumping to start service. One of the easiest ways to penetrate a market is when there is demand but lack of suitable alternatives. That’s not the case here.
You need demand at both ends. SFO is a UA hub, which (theoretically) allows UA to connect people from the entire US and points north and south. No carrier has a hub at XIY, and as a result no one can gather together traffic from other Chinese cities to send them to SFO, let alone one that did not partner for onward connections.

I had my doubts that there was enough premium traffic on this route that would take UNITED (vs. Chinese Carriers with a connection), and I also don't think that a 3x week route works for business travel in any event. It appears that I was correct. But undoubtably United having a damaged brand in China did not help to get XIY side premium traffic (or US side premium traffic) to book on UA - either direct from SFO, or with a connection in SFO, vs. taking a connection elsewhere.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by username
Some thoughts/questions:

I think it was good that UA tried to do these things. Maybe Wuhan should be next to try - it is a much bigger city?

Maybe this was just bad timing - with the Dr. Dao incident and some people feel America does not like foreigners nowadays?

Don't Apple employees fly Economy?

What to do with all the 787s? Maybe use them on some of the thinner European routes and pull the 757s back to domestic?
Depends on region of Apple employee

For us based I think it’s 7 hours- you get business.

For Asia it’s 10, or 7 hours if you take red eye and go to office immediately after you land.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Does this mean I'm not getting my long-desired CLE-CGO flight?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:26 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by spin88
You need demand at both ends. SFO is a UA hub, which (theoretically) allows UA to connect people from the entire US and points north and south. No carrier has a hub at XIY, and as a result no one can gather together traffic from other Chinese cities to send them to SFO, let alone one that did not partner for onward connections.

I had my doubts that there was enough premium traffic on this route that would take UNITED (vs. Chinese Carriers with a connection), and I also don't think that a 3x week route works for business travel in any event. It appears that I was correct. But undoubtably United having a damaged brand in China did not help to get XIY side premium traffic (or US side premium traffic) to book on UA - either direct from SFO, or with a connection in SFO, vs. taking a connection elsewhere.
I understand your greater point but I don’t fully agree with your statement that demand is needed on both ends. This isn’t necessarily true as demand on the “other end” is create by the need for those coming need to get home. If there is great enough demand for AAA-BBB then it’s reasonable to expect a converse demand for BBB-AAA because those in AAA going to BBB need to get back to AAA. Look at Iceland, as an example. It’s a country of 330,000 people and there’s great to demand for flights to Iceland, the majority of that demand is not ex-Iceland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.