Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winning the West Coast

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by DELee
I think what I and the OP really want is UA to be sufficiently committed to the West Coast so that there's flights and is frankly an alternative to WN.

DL is moving into the role that UA once had up and down the West Coast and that fed traffic into its network. Yes, LAX will not be anybody's fortress hub but there's plenty of demand both there as well as across Southern California and the Northwest.

Right now UA's West Coast traffic lives and dies by SFO's operational challenges.

David
Based on the OP's title "winning", I read it as being a dominant player. Otherwise, it would be more aptly titled "How Can UA Be MORE COMPETITIVE in the West Coast".

But I do agree with assessment that SFO, as a hub, sucks due to weather issues.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jasondc
As an anecdote I was on SFO- DCA United yesterday. The guy I sat next to lived south of SJC and travels at least weekly for work; but he said that when he goes to DC, NYC, Chicago he always flies UA from SFO, just for the miles and for the abundance of nonstop. For trips down to LA he will take whoever is cheapest from SJC. So perhaps there's room there. But an anecdote that demonstrates the power of the offering at SFO.
I can give you the exact opposite anecdote. When I was working in CLE and PHL, I could have flown non-stop to SFO, but chose to take a connection and fly into SJC. I find it easier to fly into the airport that's nearest my house and deal with a connection. If something goes wrong, there are plenty of reroutes through other hubs on DL or AA. If worse comes to worse, then you can fly to SFO (happened once in 2+ years) and figure out how to get back home.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
Between buying DL in 2013 and VX a few months after the IPO, I should send Jeff a x-mas card... from the beach house in Hawaii ;0
And he'll forward it to the DOJ who really deserves it.

2013-15 was golden for all the full service airline stocks.

UA and DL had opps to get 3-4x, but the real big ones were AS, JBLU after mint, SW, and well AA just before it was clear the DOJ would put the last screw on with that merger.

You'd be flying private to Hawaii with investments in those or a basket.

Thd next step for intra CA / West Coast are the semi private carriers - there will and are intersting choices there for high yield fliers.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
VX didn't "make it".
Alaska bought them for $2.6 billion. If that's not "making it" don't know what would possibly qualify.

But thank you for making that your lead sentence, saved me from wasting any more time
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Alaska bought them for $2.6 billion. If that's not "making it" don't know what would possibly qualify.
Seriously. It was some like a 47% premium on that day's close price. In cash. While assuming all debt.

Any CEO would be ecstatic for a cash value offer like that.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Seriously. It was some like a 47% premium on that day's close price. In cash. While assuming all debt.

Any CEO would be ecstatic for a cash value offer like that.
The stocks of VX's closest peers, AS and B6, outperformed VX from IPO to the acquisition.

OK outcome for VX shareholders but others did even better.

I am am curious to see how B6's West Coast footprint evolves with the larger AS and pressure from DL on the secondary Mint markets.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

Anyway, just my few cents. UA, like any carrier, has limited resources, and they have to decide how to allocate them. Just like any other company. Will they be all things to al people? Probably not. But no company can be. In any industry. Instead, they alocate their resources to the biggest opportunity and biggest strength. On the west coast, that's SF, which they dominate like no other airline does any other city on the west coast. Something that I'm sure DL or AA would love to do.
Well from the PRASM and CASM is does not look like UA has been allocating its resources to revenue generating activities, at least vs ALL of its competitors since they have been at the bottom of operating margin post merger ad infinitum. Do you really think abandoning core, large business markets and expecting frequent fliers to just follow in spite of the cuts and costs is just a coincidence?

from: http://www.oliverwyman.com/our-exper...2016-2017.html
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
At the risk of derailing this thread, I interpreted the VX sale to AS as VX throwing in the towel. For years, VX stock was just treading water (I was a stockholder, bought in after its failure at DAL.) VX's inability to expand beyond SFO signaled 1) its limited growth potential as a standalone carrier, and 2) the staleness of the Virgin brand. VX also repeatedly delayed aircraft deliveries, because it had no new routes to deploy them. Months prior to the sale, it was clear that VX investors were clamoring for a sale in order to benefit from the rally that most other US carriers were experiencing at that time. Yes, AS paid a 47% premium from the previous day's closing price (I fondly remember where I was when the news broke ), but it was more like a 80% premium over the price that VX had been stuck at several months before (about $30). Compared to the $23 IPO price, VX was less than a stellar performer.

UA won the battle with VX at SFO. We'll see how AS copes with UA there.
jasondc likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:09 pm

Or you spread your short-haul business around among the carriers (especially WN) who have a better point-to-point network within the state, while still giving your long-haul business to UA. I would suspect for most GS, that's still enough business to maintain GS status.

The place where this model falls apart for UA (ceding the short-haul) is status levels below GS, where the handcuffs have become very very loose due to constant devaluation of benefits.
Or internationally for those of us <GS, I just buy Premium economy for my international flights and cut UA out since they neither offer it nor are willing to plate it. You fired me as a customer, I fire you as an airline unless I see the value in your day to day offering which is rare on the west coast. I know others do the same thing because premium economy is very difficult to book last minute on all of my routes.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:10 pm

You provided the biggest airports by volume in California, not how people fly.
I concluded there was a correlation between how people fly and the size of an airport. If the most people do not fly from the largest airports, or if carrying fewer passengers equal winning, color me confused.

The UA strategy of pulling people from the region to fly out of their hub, in an increased traffic environment, and in light of new competitors bringing more options, is no longer a slam dunk like it used to be. You can even attribute some of the phenomenon to the mileage program deterioration (e.g., sit in traffic for 60-90 minutes to catch UA and get very few difficult-to-use miles for it, or just fly whomever is most convenient?).
I'm confused. Are you saying Southwest doesn't have a winning strategy? Or that winning means flying RJs from multiple airports in a city to a hub so customers can connect to other destinations?
jasondc likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:11 pm

Hmm. Core business markets. Tell me again why SFO, IAH, ORD, EWR, LAX are not core business markets?
Anyway, this isn't a larger conversation about United's overall health or lack thereof- there are scores of other threads on that so I'm not going to dive into scope creep here.
Either way, UA is pretty solid in its core California business markets. There are many many many other reasons for the rasm you mention below (WN primarily on short hops where they don't have much competition (i.e. check out Love Field yields, check out Houston HOU yields, etc where there is no competition, RASM is sky high etc, or DL, which has dominant positions in important business markets with limited competition, vs United with tons of competition in all its markets).
Regardless, for this thread, cutting a few regional jet flights within California does not equate at all to "abandoning core, large business market". Beefing up and becoming a dominant airline in SFO does seem to me like a move oriented towards being responsive to core business markets.

Originally Posted by prestonh
Well from the PRASM and CASM is does not look like UA has been allocating its resources to revenue generating activities, at least vs ALL of its competitors since they have been at the bottom of operating margin post merger ad infinitum. Do you really think abandoning core, large business markets and expecting frequent fliers to just follow in spite of the cuts and costs is just a coincidence?

from: http://www.oliverwyman.com/our-exper...2016-2017.html
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
At the risk of derailing this thread, I interpreted the VX sale to AS as VX throwing in the towel. For years, VX stock was just treading water (I was a stockholder, bought in after its failure at DAL.) VX's inability to expand beyond SFO signaled 1) its limited growth potential as a standalone carrier, and 2) the staleness of the Virgin brand. VX also repeatedly delayed aircraft deliveries, because it had no new routes to deploy them. Months prior to the sale, it was clear that VX investors were clamoring for a sale in order to benefit from the rally that most other US carriers were experiencing at that time. Yes, AS paid a 47% premium from the previous day's closing price (I fondly remember where I was when the news broke ), but it was more like a 80% premium over the price that VX had been stuck at several months before (about $30). Compared to the $23 IPO price, VX was less than a stellar performer.

Is UA going to get in a fare ware simultaneously with Spirit and AS? Because you know DL will jump on instantly if that is the case. Many analysts do not expect UA to make money the first part of 2018 because their BE fare matching with Spirit are not only too low, they are also driving elite customers away. I expect UA to leave it alone because they need the cash to keep buying up stock to prop up the price as a cover for their poor operating performance.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:14 pm

exactly

Shareholders made out well - they got out and demanded to get out when the getting was good. VX never was a very viable carrier, and the repeated years of losses, delivery delays, and inability to do much in SF, let alone at SF, speaks volumes. The fact that they started flying JFK-FLL shows they had no better place to put their planes. it was a disaster and not a viable company, though fun to fly when it was still new and novel for a few years.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer

Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:18 pm

Yeah they "made it" as a carrier that benefitted from a booming market that sold itself and its shareholders a nice chunk of change. But I don't think that's what Branson and the employees wanted when they started it - they wanted a viable, profitable carrier that would thrive. There they utterly failed.

But thank you for making that your lead sentence, saved me from wasting any more time
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
I concluded there was a correlation between how people fly and the size of an airport. If the most people do not fly from the largest airports, or if carrying fewer passengers equal winning, color me confused.
Passengers counts doesn't necessarily mean there's travel need between the airports. LAX and SAN are both large airports. There's not a lot of people flying SAN-LAX O/D.

Originally Posted by fly18725
I'm confused. Are you saying Southwest doesn't have a winning strategy? Or that winning means flying RJs from multiple airports in a city to a hub so customers can connect to other destinations?
Southwest very much has a winning strategy. They are able to carry people from one place to another within the West Coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.