Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winning the West Coast

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm surprised that recent transplants to the valley would not know how to use Google Maps.

lol it's like the map of Manhattan that shows everything west of the Hudson as "flyover country."

SF didn't even make the cut.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm surprised that recent transplants to the valley would not know how to use Google Maps.
My experience is that the closer you are to Mountain View, the less reliable Google maps is.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by fumje

SF didn't even make the cut.
#LA #LA #LA
#UnitedpleaseinvestinLA
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I stand corrected. I was just going by gut feel and what people think. The map shows SFO is much farther. But I will tell you of my personal experience, that 100% of my friends who live in MV feel that SFO and SJC are equivalent in terms of ease to get there. There is zero preference of one versus the other. Having driven many times between, I tend to agree. So even though SFO is actually farther, if perception is what matters, I don't think most people in MV care about making the trek to SFO.
I live in MV and I agree completely that SFO is no problem Both are a 15-30+ minute drive, or a walk, a train, and a really dumb transfer.

As mentioned, I only look into SJC when flying WN up and down the west coast, which however.. might be kind of the point in this thread. I'll go up to SFO when I can fly mainline into BUR, get CPUed, and pay the same as WN. The introduction of BE has made that much less attractive though.

No, they can.. pretty sure it's Google Maps that's responsible from them trying to say that the bay is north of the peninsula and 101 is an east-west highway. (Old paper maps when I was growing up always used a tilted compass rose.)
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DA201
I have always wondered why DL/AA never gave OAK/SJC a serious shot at being their premier west coast hub like UA has at SFO.
Back in the 1990s AA did use SJC as a (at least significant) west coast hub. It had TPAC/TATL flights to NRT, TPE and CDG, even though CBP facilities were in a wooden hut east of the old Terminal C. AA also had the "nerd bird" to AUS.

SJC upgraded its CBP facilities just as AA withdrew. At least they're now getting long haul flights from foreign carriers (BA, CA, HU, LH, NH).

And remember that NH SJC-NRT (on a 789) and LH SJC-FRA are covered by United's joint venture, as is BA's SJC-LHR covered with AA.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by spin88
A new airport would cost $50+B once land aquision costs were included, and any neighbors would fight like hell due to the noise (which is a major problem at SJC). SFO has a max of 60 take-offs/landing per hour. probably 10 of those per hour are flights to southern California (LAX/SNA/BUR/SAN/ONT). LAX is also getting crowded. And adding further lanes to 101/i5 to address the already horrible traffic would cost a fortune. California has 40 Million people in it, more than all of Canada. By 2030 the population will be 44-45 Million. HSP will be finished because the state can't effectively compete w/o it, and it also fixes the crowding problems at the major california airports. And the odd part is that the part of the State that will most benefit from high speed rail (the central valley) is the area that most opposes it.

p.s. for those who don't know much about this $64B project, here is a good link on its current status: https://sf.curbed.com/2017/9/19/1633...ail-california {and note that HSP is designed to stop in Milbrea, which is linked to SFO, so will allow central valley folks to take the train to SFO).
this is quite a bit off topic. and with all due respect, Jerry Brown's train-to-nowhere vanity project will die as soon as the Governor is termed out (part deux). Nobody wants or needs this train and for $100B it would be very easy to add an additional lane to I-5 and I-101 in the central valley as most of it runs through rural areas with plenty of frontage. For cheaper and more useful to the state than a train that few will use as the prices cannot ever be competitive. See e.g. BART Oakland airport connector, a waste of $250 million that is used by maybe 4000 a day?

I love the Euro and Japan trains as much as anymore, but it is a complete fallacy to think that system would prove efficient here given the ever expanding suburban employment and housing locations, and the nature of travel in the USA and California. It makes no sense for the vast majority who drive or fly & rent cars.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
this is quite a bit off topic. and with all due respect, Jerry Brown's train-to-nowhere vanity project will die as soon as the Governor is termed out (part deux). Nobody wants or needs this train and for $100B it would be very easy to add an additional lane to I-5 and I-101 in the central valley as most of it runs through rural areas with plenty of frontage. For cheaper and more useful to the state than a train that few will use as the prices cannot ever be competitive. See e.g. BART Oakland airport connector, a waste of $250 million that is used by maybe 4000 a day?

I love the Euro and Japan trains as much as anymore, but it is a complete fallacy to think that system would prove efficient here given the ever expanding suburban employment and housing locations, and the nature of travel in the USA and California. It makes no sense for the vast majority who drive or fly & rent cars.
I'm a fan of rail transit too, but that money could be better spent on improving the rail infrastructure in the LA and SF regions where heavy traffic is a daily problem.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
?

In addition to there being no political constituency pushing for this, nor any money for it, there isn't really any land that could be plausibly developed that would be convenient enough to serve as a primary international airport for the region. If business travelers think OAK is too far to travel from the peninsula, how are they going to feel about an airport 60 miles away in Tracy?
Did y'all hear how Stockton wants to add "San Francisco" to its name to capture more traffic.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
I can only speak for myself who lived in Palo Alto for nearly 5 years before - going to sfo is no “schelp” or “trek”, and going to SJC is no springtime stroll in the park with sunshine and a light breeze, despite google maps telling us that we must use the airport closest to our home, pricing and schedule all be damned

“winning the West Coast” should involve Airlines actually offering a broad network of destination choices. WN has what, one single daily on OAK-EWR and none from SJC ? And exactly how many SEA-EWR or LAX-EWR is WN flying ? 1? 0?

DL is not #1 at any single one of SEA PDX SFO LAX SAN (the #1 for each should be AS AS UA AA WN IIRC), so I don’t see how they’re “winning the West Coast” by any margin.

(And I’m not gonna waste my time with anyone who needs to include connections through hubs inthe mountain time zone
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by sbm12
Did y'all hear how Stockton wants to add "San Francisco" to its name to capture more traffic.
That got shut down for now.

A proposal to change the name of the Stockton airport to the “San Francisco-Stockton Regional Airport” was postponed indefinitely on Tuesday, after the folks in charge of christening things in Stockton received a sharply worded letter of protest from the director of San Francisco International Airport.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...e-12303278.php
sbm12 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by williambruno1975
DL is not #1 at any single one of SEA PDX SFO LAX SAN (the #1 for each should be AS AS UA AA WN IIRC), so I don’t see how they’re “winning the West Coast” by any margin.
The theory is that being a strong #2 or 3 at all of them is better than being #1 at one and #6 at all the others. But that assumes passengers care more about which airline they fly than they care about price and schedule. While FlyerTalk is great for presenting and reinforcing that image - we all do it so everyone else probably does too, right?!? - I do not believe that it reflects broader consumer behavior.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:14 pm

Easy to fix via Settings on app

Originally Posted by findark

No, they can.. pretty sure it's Google Maps that's responsible from them trying to say that the bay is north of the peninsula and 101 is an east-west highway. (Old paper maps when I was growing up always used a tilted compass rose.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.