Search

Winning the West Coast

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Why? Because SFO has the local traffic, airport facilities, and location for a great hub. There's simply no other airport in the entire West Coast that is a better option for a large hub. Weather-induced delays due to the undesirable runway configuration is nothing more than an inconvenience. DL and AA only wish they were in the same situation as UA at SFO.
Ha! "Inconvenience!" - those of us who are forced to connect through SFO are trapped there when inbound flights are under flow control due to weather and/or construction or both. I've already been forced to overnight at SFO hotels on UA nickel multiple times this year because of this very problem. Because of these misconnects, UA has ponied up ETCs and I've had to cancel business meetings as well as family events and other trips that I wasn't able to get to because a) UA has reduced the number of LAX-SFO connections and b) UA has curtailed service in and out of LAX to c) pump up this "great hub".

It is even worse for others who try to fly UA but then have even fewer options connecting elsewhere on the West Coast.

David
artvandalay and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by DA201
I have always wondered why DL/AA never gave OAK/SJC a serious shot at being their premier west coast hub like UA has at SFO.
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
PS - Didn't SJC used to be an AA hub and it failed bigly
Under Robert Crandall, AA bought AirCal and had built a sizable hub at SJC by the early 1990s. AA couldn't make SJC work, and in the mid-1990s began to pull back. QQ (Reno Air) then came in and started a hub in AA's vacuum. AA bought QQ at the height of the dotcom bubble, so SJC became an AA hub again. SJC-TPE and SJC-CDG were (in)famous AA routes, for the fact that they failed within a few days. AA closed the SJC hub for the second time around 2004. SJC-NRT survived the closure, and continued for a couple more years. "Nerd Bird" lasted longer, but it too went away.

I agree with some previous posts stating that the majority of trips to/from the airport start/end at the home, not the place of work. In that regard, SJC may be in the heart of Silicon Valley, but SFO is the best positioned airport for Silicon Valley (also VC) traffic. Perhaps it takes an objective observer from L.A. to acknowledge that.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
SFO would have separated its runways years ago if expansion in the bay was feasible. This is political a dead idea (for all three airports)

OAK 3 runways 28 R/L & 30
Are 28 R/L used for commercial ops at OAK? I used to fly out of OAK ages ago when I was less aviation savvy and always thought it was a one-runway show; was puzzled to fly over it in recent years and see the other runways.

Regardless, with the fact that 28 is the dominant direction for wind and the "pincer" shape between 28 and 30, I think OAK is effectively restricted to 2 of 3 runways whenever winds are from the west.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I agree with some previous posts stating that the majority of trips to/from the airport start/end at the home, not the place of work. In that regard, SJC may be in the heart of Silicon Valley, but SFO is the best positioned airport for Silicon Valley (also VC) traffic. Perhaps it takes an objective observer from L.A. to acknowledge that.
I'd echo Kacee that the wealthiest stretch of the Bay Area is all convenient to SFO. I don't know anyone other than the city council that calls San Jose the heart of Silicon Valley; it's more like the southern edge. There's practically nothing in the 180 degrees south of downtown SJ except tract castle homes and shopping malls - hopefully I don't offend anyone with that

Also with the mid-Market tax thing, there has been quite a lot of tech growth in the City proper, so I think SFO has the local economy covered very well, geographically speaking.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Are 28 R/L used for commercial ops at OAK? I used to fly out of OAK ages ago when I was less aviation savvy and always thought it was a one-runway show; was puzzled to fly over it in recent years and see the other runways.
I think you are right, 30 is used by the major carriers. 28R/L are connected to the General Aviation usage
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by DELee
Ha! "Inconvenience!" - those of us who are forced to connect through SFO are trapped there when inbound flights are under flow control due to weather and/or construction or both. I've already been forced to overnight at SFO hotels on UA nickel multiple times this year because of this very problem. Because of these misconnects, UA has ponied up ETCs and I've had to cancel business meetings as well as family events and other trips that I wasn't able to get to because a) UA has reduced the number of LAX-SFO connections and b) UA has curtailed service in and out of LAX to c) pump up this "great hub".

It is even worse for others who try to fly UA but then have even fewer options connecting elsewhere on the West Coast.

David
In the grand scheme of things, that's an inconvenience to them. SFO weather delays are a necessary evil to the airlines.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:59 am

I don't know anyone other than the city council that calls San Jose the heart of Silicon Valley; it's more like the southern edge. There's practically nothing in the 180 degrees south of downtown SJ except tract castle homes and shopping malls...
I don't necessarily disagree. I interpret the classical definition of "Silicon Valley" as Santa Clara County, in an arc formed by Mountain View, Sunnyvale/Cupertino, San Jose, and Milpitas. The fact that the demography south of San Jose shifts decidedly to middle income spells SJC's doomed fate if another airline ever tries to revive a hub there to compete with SFO.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:20 am

I don't necessarily disagree. I interpret the classical definition of "Silicon Valley" as Santa Clara County, in an arc formed by Mountain View, Sunnyvale/Cupertino, San Jose, and Milpitas. The fact that the demography south of San Jose shifts decidedly to middle income spells SJC's doomed fate if another airline ever tries to revive a hub there to compete with SFO.
And from MV, SFO and SJC I think are equidistant by car. Easier to get to SFO with Caltrain/Bart versus VTA/Bus to SJC (I think...) although Uber is probably easier than public transit if we're talking wealthy MV google yuppies
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I interpret the classical definition of "Silicon Valley" as Santa Clara County, in an arc formed by Mountain View, Sunnyvale/Cupertino, San Jose, and Milpitas.
Except you've just excluded Palo Alto, which is generally understood to be the birthplace of "the Silicon Valley." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Garage.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Except you've just excluded Palo Alto, which is generally understood to be the birthplace of "the Silicon Valley."
Okay, good point. I can't dispute that Silicon Valley can ostensibly mean the Bay Area, including the entire Peninsula all the way into downtown San Francisco. But on a weighted scale of tech firms, past and present, my perception is that the center of gravity is still closer to San Jose. Some of the higher profile companies and their HQs: Google (Mountain View), Apple (Cupertino), Yahoo (Sunnyvale), AMD (Sunnyvale), Nvidia (Santa Clara), Intel (Santa Clara), Adobe (San Jose), Western Digital (San Jose)... Nevertheless, even with those companies near SJC, I think we agree that SFO is the more convenient and preferred.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:03 am

I don't think we'll ever see SJC turn into the EWR vs SFO's JFK like setup.

But if you live South of the Dumbarton on either side it's more convenient to hit up SJC and plenty of ways service will grow there. Kind of like Orange County vs LAX but without the curfew.

As for market size it's less about wealth unless you're trying to support a specialized product like PS.

Most biz travel is on other people's money - so being convenient to lots of people with good income but not quite wealthy is sufficient.

Though I agree the biggest wealth belt is MP/PA down to Saratoga / Los Gatos.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I am skeptical this is true. Is there data to support this? Most of the young affluent silicon valley tech workers I know prefer to live in the city. I live in the SJC flight path so I'm the exception and would prefer a SJC hub, but I think the money is up in the city, not south bay. Just my observations...no data to support.
Live in the city? They work in the city too. A lot of the tech growth in this economic cycle has happened in SF. Sure there's still a ton in SV, but the tech area has spread between the two. The younger crowd is attracted to SF, and businesses know this.

Which is why a limited focus city/mini hub a la what AS is doing is perfect for SJC.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I don't think we'll ever see SJC turn into the EWR vs SFO's JFK like setup.
Right, it's just way too inconvenient for where many people want to go, which for many is SF. The advantage of the 3 New York airports is that they are centered around Manhattan, which is the clear business and tourism center. The Bay Area is a bit more spread out, though.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
my perception is that the center of gravity is still closer to San Jose. Some of the higher profile companies and their HQs: Google (Mountain View), Apple (Cupertino), Yahoo (Sunnyvale), AMD (Sunnyvale), Nvidia (Santa Clara), Intel (Santa Clara), Adobe (San Jose), Western Digital (San Jose)...
but also Hewlett-Packard (Palo Alto), Facebook (Menlo Park), Oracle (Redwood Shores), not to mention smaller/newer but hardly tiny companies like Uber (SF) and Twitter (SF).

Though I agree the biggest wealth belt is MP/PA down to Saratoga / Los Gatos.
The biggest wealth spike is a bit north of that - Hillsborough, Woodside, Portola Valley, Atherton, Los Altos Hills, etc. is where most of the deep VC pockets live.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
But if you live South of the Dumbarton on either side it's more convenient to hit up SJC and plenty of ways service will grow there. Kind of like Orange County vs LAX but without the curfew.
It amused me to read

And from MV, SFO and SJC I think are equidistant by car. Easier to get to SFO with Caltrain/Bart versus VTA/Bus to SJC (I think...) although Uber is probably easier than public transit if we're talking wealthy MV google yuppies
...because I instinctively agreed with it, but then I looked it up and SFO is 2.5x further than SJC from Mountain View. But I still feel like you need to go further south before it feels like a huge comparative burden to trek up to SFO.

I definitely agree that SJC makes sense for a local West Coast focus city a la AS and WN though. I think WN provides huge value for being the only carrier that essentially provides full pairwise coverage on QSF to QLA. When I'm eating most of the day to fly TCON or overwater, the extra distance to SFO is negligible, but for a day trip to LA, being able to fly SJC-BUR (or whatever pair suits that trip) is quite valuable.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
Two issues there... first, I think the AA 772 new J reconfiguration program is finished, so all of the 772s either have the 'Concept D' seats or the BE Super Diamond herringbone. The 2-3-2 angled flats (and First Class) are gone, though not all have premium economy yet. I'd give an advantage to AA here, no doubt, but unlike many, I really have no problem with the sCO 777 seat, especially the DE pairs (8DE are still among the best J seats in the system, even with Polaris seats in service).

Second, the IAH E club showers are gone now that the Polaris build-out is underway. I'm not sure if the showers in C-South are still open, but either way those aren't long for the world and will be deleted with the upcoming renovation of the lounge. However, spin talks about his parents flying J to EZE, and I understand UA is targeting a February/March opening for the Polaris lounge at IAH. Depending on when they travel, they'd have access to the PL and showers, so soon the point will be moot for UA/*A premium cabin pax. Setting aside crowding issues, which UA is working to correct, based on ORD I'd argue that the standard for the Polaris lounge concept (furnishings, F&B quality, service) is higher-end than the AA Flagship Lounge. We can gripe about the slow progress of lounge openings, but at least construction is underway in no fewer than three key locations (EWR/IAH/SFO).

The rest of the argument is self-serving and I don't think the gap between AA and UA in the premium cabins in that market is dramatic.
DFW-EZE is the 37J config on AA, I have no idea if they get concept D or SuperDiamond, but both are much nicer than the last gen sCO seat. You are correct, AA is now all lie flat. What they are now doing is going back and putting PE on certain planes.

They are going in early December, so the PL at IAH, whenever UA gets it opened up.... does not figure.

My parents are not UA fans (courtesy of several recent issues on Hawaii flights), but they would also like to avoid DFW due to long walks. Bottom line is that United's product and service was simply not competitive. AA 321F > UA 739 F; AA J >> sCO J; AA Flagship Lounge with showers >>> UA CruddyClub.

If United wants to "win the west" they really need to look at their combination of service and product, neither are competitive at this point, and UA is falling further behind (SEA/PDX they gave up a long time ago; they are now definately sub-par at SAN; and LAX they are firmly in 3rd place)

Originally Posted by jsloan

I suppose you could make an argument that they could swap the roles of SFO and SJC, as SJC has much better weather and less restrictive airport conditions. However, not only would that likely entail a massive expansion of terminal space at SJC, they’d run into an EWR-like perception problem. The west coast analogues of all of the NYC folk saying “EWR’s not New York” would be saying “SJC’s not San Francisco.” And it’s not like it’s any easier for SFO-based passengers to get to SJC than vice-versa.

Realistically, though, UA and SFO are likely stuck with each other. Honestly, the Bay Area’s best option is probably to build a new, massive airport out near Concord or somewhere (wherever they can find the land), shut down SFO and OAK*, and then add high-speed train service, similar to what was done in HKG, ICN, NRT, etc. However, considering how difficult it is to get those local governments to agree on anything, I don’t know what shot this actually has. :-)
There is nothing wrong with SFO's location. The issue is that when they expanded the airport's capacity back in the 90s under Willie Brown (adding the two new international terminals and redeveloping the old international terminal into what is now D) they did not reconfigure the runways, which are 800 feet apart. They had a plan to move the North W-E to the North, allowing simultaneous operations in bad weather, but did not press it at that time. They could have gotten it through with environmental mitigation elsewhere (buying up the salt ponds in the south bay) but did not, and I think the time has passed. What will "fix" SFO is when they have installed the technology for side by side bad weather landings and take-offs.

SJC has fewer runways than SFO, and I'm not convinced that they have enough horizontal separation for full IFR acceptance rate either. SFO is much better equipped for heavy traffic than either OAK or SJC; the only reason it's "problematic" is that it handles so much more traffic. When flow control hits SFO, the maximum arrival rate is still higher than what SJC or OAK are receiving (because they have so many fewer flights). With developed land on all sides, SJC is actually the hardest airport to expand, and I think you'd need more runways to have a hope of serving an SFO level of traffic.
Actually I think you'd have a better shot putting a mega-airport in south San Jose or Morgan Hill. Lots of farmland (for tax reasons? never figured it out), and existing trackage and right of way up both the Peninsula and the East Bay (Caltrain and Amtrak). Getting HSR through the Caldecott Tunnel and/or across the bay would be a Herculean feat, not that our governments could ever manage even electrified slow trains from San Jose to SF actual downtown sooner that what... 2030? NRT, LHR, et. al just make me so sad in comparison.
There is no way that they build a new airport, let alone one that is two+ hours by car from the main business hub (SF). A new airport and linkages would cost $50B+, which would pay for much of the High Speed Rail system. Once High Speed rail runs from LA to SF, and then up to Sacramento, it will reduce much of the current west coast shuttle flights which take up much of the landing spots.

Originally Posted by DA201
I have always wondered why DL/AA never gave OAK/SJC a serious shot at being their premier west coast hub like UA has at SFO. From a geographical point of view, the Bay Area is better positioned than LAX and has way more O&D than SEA. People's Express looked at EWR in the 1980s and said it was underutilized/under-appreciated. When CO bought them, they agreed and grew EWR into a large, profitable NYC hub. I look at SJC/OAK in the same way. A large percent of the Bay Area population has SJC as their closest airport (especially the wealthy areas). The BART ride from OAK to the Financial District is only slightly longer than the BART ride from SFO to the financial district, and the airport is not space constrained.
For the same reason why ONT is not a major airport, much of the business traffic is from SF and points north, and a track to SJC or OAK is simply not in the cards. I am not saying that SJC/OAK don't deserve service they do. But it is like LAX, SFO is the central and most important airport, and always will be due to where businesses are located and people live.

p.s. I should add that AA tried to build a mini-hub at SJC, it ultimately failed because that for about 1/2 of the traffic that would use SJC, SFO was equally convenient, if not more convenient, and SFO has many more flights. What SJC needs is service to hubs and to major linked citeis.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 28, 2017 at 3:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
Once High Speed rail runs from LA to SF, and then up to Sacramento, it will reduce much of the current west coast shuttle flights which take up much of the landing spots.
HSR is about as much of a pipe dream as a new airport. Even if built as proposed, it would be an almost 3 hour trip and I'm skeptical it would really hamstring commuting by air where the time is much shorter. I think the real problem is that, unlike the NYC/DC corridor, there really is no convenient place in LA to get off a train that beats an airport.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:05 pm

What will "fix" SFO is when they have installed the technology for side by side bad weather landings and take-offs.
^

Once High Speed rail runs from LA to SF...
I appreciate your optimism!

Who needs high speed rail when options like this are available?

We took the luxury overnight bus from SF to LA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.