Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I don't like the situation any more than the rest of you, but I wish people understood logistics before commenting.

Different aircraft have different galley carts. The galley of a 737 can't fit in an Airbus. A 787 cart doesn't fit in a 777.

United flies a 787 from IAD to DEN at night, when they don't need all the galley space in the back. The carts for DEN-NRT are stowed back there to bring meals to DEN for the long haul trip.

They already use the cart space on domestic flights from other stations to provide meals, drinks or BoB on those flights, without room for additional catering for mainline service from DEN. There's no where to put the extra carts and food.

It all sounds easy when people armchair quarterback this stuff, but it is no where as easy to fix as people think.
there is still a cargo vault. Companies like Sodexo can provide 5 course meals in the middle of Kazakhstan. So UA should be able to truck or fly this in from other facilities, or as this is going on for over 3 months contract with many other catering companies at DEN. UA used to be catered by SkyChefs until the Smisek takeover.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
A meal like that could give diabetes to an olympic athlete

Reminds me of the old CO days when they believed cheese was at the bottom of the FDA food pyramid.
Cheese and Yogurt Appear to Help Prevent Heart Attacks and Diabetes
Fermentation, used to create yogurt or cheese from milk, breaks down the galactose, which explains why fermented dairy products may help to prevent heart attacks (Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, April 2015;63 (10):2830-9). People who ate a lot of cheese had very high levels of butyrate in their stool and urine and much lower blood levels of the bad LDL cholesterol. This means that the fermented dairy products are being converted by bacteria in the intestines to butyrate that prevents food from forming the bad LDL cholesterol that is associated with increased heart attack risk. The authors believe that they have shown that fermented dairy products encourage the growth of healthful intestinal bacteria that may help to prevent heart attacks. Another study of 27,000 people, ages 45 to 74, showed that eating cheese and yogurt lowered risk of type-2 diabetes by 25 percent (Am J Clin Nutr, April 2015).
Dr. Gabe Mirkin on Health, Fitness and Nutrition. | Cheese and Yogurt are OK, but Milk is Associated with a Higher Death Rate

​​​​​​​
There is now some thought the the "French Paradox" may be related to cheese consumption rather than to the drinking of red wine.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It all sounds easy when people armchair quarterback this stuff, but it is no where as easy to fix as people think.
I would agree, but then I remember how long UA has been using paper cups for ice cream in Polaris business/first, which makes me think UA just doesn't want to spend the money to fix things sooner.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home

there is still a cargo vault. Companies like Sodexo can provide 5 course meals in the middle of Kazakhstan. So UA should be able to truck or fly this in from other facilities, or as this is going on for over 3 months contract with many other catering companies at DEN. UA used to be catered by SkyChefs until the Smisek takeover.
It isn't as simple as just calling up SkyChefs and asking for 3,000+ first class meals a day (as many flights are catered round trip), the amount of logistics in that would take months to move the operation over. Unfortunately I haven't seen an official statement from UA stating when they think it will be resolved.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I don't like the situation any more than the rest of you, but I wish people understood logistics before commenting.

I was not suggesting that the F meals go into working galley space on UA's current flights to DEN. As has been pointed out, there are other places to put the meals - i.e., belly cargo. Or they could have called upon FedEx!

I may not be an expert on logistics, but I am willing to bet that if the people in charge of feeding F pax out of DEN had been responsible for re-supplying Berlin in 1961, then Russian would be the official language in that city today!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by transportprof
I was not suggesting that the F meals go into working galley space on UA's current flights to DEN. As has been pointed out, there are other places to put the meals - i.e., belly cargo. Or they could have called upon FedEx!

I may not be an expert on logistics, but I am willing to bet that if the people in charge of feeding F pax out of DEN had been responsible for re-supplying Berlin in 1961, then Russian would be the official language in that city today!
Because there is a obviously a direct comparison of letting a city of 1,000,000+ starve due to a Soviet blockade and you getting a warmed up pizza instead of hosin chicken with BBQ sauce on your flight from DEN-BOS.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sorry, "let's just serve them BoB from Y and hope they don't notice" is not IMO an acceptable resolution. UA publishes meal standards. They should either meet those standards, or be up front about the fact there is a temporary suspension due to unforeseen circumstances. A little humility goes a long way.

One of the reasons this really grates is it feels like another of the stealth downgrades we've experienced all too many times since 2012.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: 3 MMer
“Qu’ils mangent de la brioche”—“Let them eat cake.”
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
I think a lot of people need to take a look at how meals come to be.

Knowledge about the logistics of providing meals is clearly lacking in this thread.

Originally Posted by bmr12
I'm a bit behind in posting this, but this was dinner DEN-SFO in early December. Who wants the "chips like french fries" with their already doughy pizza? Very underwhelming.
I would want it. I care more about what tastes good over what it looks like or how "balanced" it is. I'd take that meal even over some business meals I've had.

Originally Posted by transportprof
During the Berlin airlift, food for millions was flown in from hundreds of miles away. Why couldn't UA fly in all F meals from ORD, IAH, SFO or other flight kitchens?
Easy. The logistics of that are essentially impossible (you need to be able to sufficiently increase capacity elsewhere in a brief amount of time, need a way to transport it, and need to do that transporting within hours of production), and even if possible would cost an insane amount of money.

Originally Posted by Two Bee
$$$
Definitely not the ultimate reason.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Exactly. BoB was the cheap, easy solution.
No, it was the only realistic solution to provide food on the plane. Like I've said all along, it doesn't excuse the lack of communication, but it's almost certainly one of, if not the, only solutions UA had at their disposal to provide some measure of a "normal" meal.

Originally Posted by timbre
I completely agree that logistics are always harder than we think. An airlines business IS logistics and these are just excuses to not spend money to produce the product they are marketing, selling and collecting money for (from me). I cannot justify any defense for a problem like this that has gone on this long. They just are not trying hard enough.
It's easily justified that "normal" meal service hasn't been fully restored. It's not a matter of effort. It's a matter of what's possible and what isn't with that effort.

None of those DEN facilities could be expected to expand capacity in a very short amount of time, if they can expand at all. UA's contractor would easily be the largest at DEN. Totally unreasonable to expect the other providers to pick up the slack in the short-run.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by minnyfly
None of those DEN facilities could be expected to expand capacity in a very short amount of time, if they can expand at all. UA's contractor would easily be the largest at DEN. Totally unreasonable to expect the other providers to pick up the slack in the short-run.
A) it’s not short notice. It’s going on since late October. You’d expect by now they have a solution that meets their own published standards
B) SkyChefs used to cater UA, their facility should be capable. Especially as they’d only need to provide veggies and salads
C) UA still keeping it under the rug tells it all
halls120 and Two Bee like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:53 pm

Proactively given first class customers notice and a $20 gift card to buy whatever they'd like to bring on board in the terminal would be a win.

And even if you're going to use pre-packaged food, would it kill them to buy the real cheese rather than "cheese food"? Boar's Head has some decent packaged stuff.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
A) it’s not short notice. It’s going on since late October. You’d expect by now they have a solution that meets their own published standards
B) SkyChefs used to cater UA, their facility should be capable. Especially as they’d only need to provide veggies and salads
C) UA still keeping it under the rug tells it all
A. You honestly think a facility can expand physical space, acquire equipment, hire workers, and/or source materials in a matter of weeks and provide it at a reasonable cost? I don't think you saw the link I referred to.
B. "Used to". All we need to know to see this is all pure speculation and not common sense or reason. It goes back to point A. Do you think they've had have the physical facility to do it, had everything at the ready in the three years since they lost UA, and would be able to ramp things up on very short notice? Keep in mind your "solution" was accused last summer of not even paying minimum wage.
C. Tells us what? What does that have to do with the logistics of producing meals?

Finally, we're dealing with health inspectors here. It's very reasonable to assume that airlines expect things to be back up and running in X timeframe, but in reality that timeframe is at the mercy of the officials. They can and will make life difficult. That's an unknown element that doesn't allow us to know anything definitive.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:33 pm

A. You honestly think a facility can expand physical space, acquire equipment, hire workers, and/or source materials in a matter of weeks and provide it at a reasonable cost? I don't think you saw the link I referred to.
In a matter of weeks? No. But at this point - months, not weeks - UA could likely have found a new supplier - if they were willing to spend the money. Clearly, they aren't.

Finally, we're dealing with health inspectors here. It's very reasonable to assume that airlines expect things to be back up and running in X timeframe, but in reality that timeframe is at the mercy of the officials. They can and will make life difficult. That's an unknown element that doesn't allow us to know anything definitive.
LOL, restaurants in the DC area get closed all the time by health inspectors for sanitary violations. See how fast they reopen.

These food establishments were closed because of health code violations. The list, compiled from health department reports, reflects actions taken by the departments.

THE DISTRICT
7-Eleven
912 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Closed last Thursday for operating without hot water. Reopened the next day.

Bantam King
501 G St. NW
Closed May 2 for operating without hot water. Reopened the next day.

Haad Thai
1100 New York Ave. NW
Closed May 1 because of gross unsanitary conditions, including vermin, and because of incorrect food-holding temperatures. Reopened May 3.

Lena Market
1206 Underwood St. NW
Closed April 25 because of insects, rodents and other pests. Reopened April 27.

Paolo’s Ristorante
1301 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Closed April 25 because of unsanitary conditions, including vermin. Reopened April 27.

Point Chaud
1012 14th St. NW
Closed April 28 for operating without a license. Reopened May 4.

Pret A Manger
1399 New York Ave. NW
Closed April 28 because of incorrect food-holding temperatures. Reopened May 1.

Stan’s Restaurant
1029 Vermont Ave. NW
Closed May 3 for operating without a manager on duty and because of insects, rodents and other pests. Reopened Friday.

Susanna’s Pupuseria and Carryout
3801 14th St. NW
Closed May 2 because of insects, rodents and other pests.

MARYLANDHearty’s Chinese Restaurant
13320 Laurel-Bowie Rd., Laurel
Closed May 2 for operating without water. Reopened the next day.

Joyful Heart African Cuisine
10631 Greenbelt Rd., Lanham
Closed May 1 because of a sewage backup. Reopened May 5.

Mi Pueblito Mercado
5604 Kennilworth Ave., RiverdaleClosed April 26 because of roaches and mice. Reopened April 30.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.832d87e7530e
Plane-is-home likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
What about King Soopers?

I've avoided commenting in this thread to-date, because I so rarely fly in/out of DEN that I couldn't contribute much.

... but what I can contribute is that my company works with food manufacturers, including plenty of private label manufacturers. The interesting thing, for me, is that the catering facility affected didn't just service United. It also made prepared foods for King Soopers, one of the big grocery stores in the Rockies. After a recall and short-term outage, I've seen no indication that King Soopers has been significantly affected. Which means they switched suppliers, or brought in product from out-of-market.

While airline catering is definitely different than grocery store prep and private label manufacturing, the reality is that it's not THAT different. It's primarily packaging and storage that is different. And there are literally dozens of contract manufacturers (co-packers) in the Denver area, and throughout the Rockies. So concerns about the facility aside, switching manufacturers shouldn't be that hard. But co-packers do charge start-up fees and other packaging-related costs when they need to re-tool a production line to meet a new customer's requirements. Those charges can be significant.

So my guess, after all this time, is that someone at UA made the decision that they didn't want to pay those fees, likely believing that this was a short-term disruption. They didn't believe they'd be able to recoup the start-up costs before their original facility re-opened. The problem with that line of thinking is that it becomes self-perpetuating... short delays turn into long ones, but the vendor keeps telling you about the progress they've made, so the longer you wait, the less likely it _seems_ that you'll ever recoup your investment to temporarily change suppliers.

I've seen this in packaged goods manufacturing a LOT. The inevitable outcome there is that you lose distribution, as retailers get fed-up with the supply disruption and replace your product on the shelf with someone else's. There's another area where airline catering is different - it's unlikely that people will (in any significant number) "vote with their wallets" because of this kind of supply disruption.

But it's another indication of management thinking here. They're a transportation company, for pete's sake... I wouldn't at ALL be surprised to discover that King Soopers' production issues were resolved, at least in part, by transporting some other Kroger-affiliated producer's product to Denver, on UA aircraft!! The fact that UA hasn't come up with a solution, while other customers have, tends to indicate that they're squeezing those pennies until old Abe Lincoln screams...
Plane-is-home, Kacee and Two Bee like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
never mind

Last edited by Two Bee; Jan 13, 2018 at 10:16 pm Reason: 2nd thoughts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.