Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New boarding process begins 10/19/17 at CLE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New boarding process begins 10/19/17 at CLE?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by hoshattack
Where is this extra space that UA should use for bins?
For most of United's A/C, the space is already there.

The new 737s have deeper/taller bins that allow for 3 rollaboards to be placed side by side. This would be a retrofit to the older A/C. Also if the center support could be engineered out, you could get another 3-4 inches of useable space between 2 rows.

The new 773s have the same problem as the older 772s where the bins were designed for a different era and don't have the total depth required to hold a rollaboard wheels first. This could be remedied but Boeing doesn't seem to care.

From what I recall, the A319s and A320s don't have these problems but I really don't have enough experience since the current United Air Lines seems to think that 737s are the cat's meow.

For the regional jets and prop planes, no amount of engineering is going to allow rollaboards to be stowed in those overheads.

David
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
United should make 1st checked bag free for everyone, and charge non-elites to bring carry-on.
I've always thought they should make any bag that would be a legal carry-on free to check. That would probably solve the bin-space problem and the airline would still get plenty of ancillary revenue from larger checked bags.

I guess this is the defacto policy if you don't mind carrying the bag to your first gate: once (with no status) I wanted to check a bag through on a long connection so I wouldn't have to lug it between terminals. Didn't want to pay $25, so I carried the bag through TSA, went straight to the gate and gate-checked it for free, then went off to buy some food for the flight.
Say Vandelay and helvetic like this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Flew out of Cleveland this morning. All the gates I saw have this new process. No one lined in in the two chutes early but there were a lot of people licing around the entrance and as the boarding time drew closer they were all inching closer. I pre boarded with GS so I walked in front of everyone and stood near the front. That move got me lots of lovely stares. Aircraft was a full 737-800.

I connected through ORD and gate B19 also has this new system. This aircraft was the EMB145. Again I pre boarded and there where only a few lice around but I assume that was because it was a 50 seat aircraft with no first class. B20-24 still had the old Group 1-5 cattle chutes. B19 is a tiny narrow gate with limited room.

Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by caiken
Just landed at CLE at 11pm on 10/18/17 from IAH and noticed every UA gate has the attached new boarding signs. All of the group 1-5 signs are gone. Anyone have info?
What I wonder about: airlines have boarded millions of passengers for decades and they still haven't figured out the most efficient way to do it. What's up with that? No research and development?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
What I wonder about: airlines have boarded millions of passengers for decades and they still haven't figured out the most efficient way to do it. What's up with that? No research and development?
The issue is constantly researched and new processes are tried. The problem is that the fastest way to board - the free for all with aggressive carryon policies - pisses elites off. Airlines are trying to find a sub-optimal balance.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:28 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by threeoh
I've always thought they should make any bag that would be a legal carry-on free to check. That would probably solve the bin-space problem and the airline would still get plenty of ancillary revenue from larger checked bags.

I guess this is the defacto policy if you don't mind carrying the bag to your first gate: once (with no status) I wanted to check a bag through on a long connection so I wouldn't have to lug it between terminals. Didn't want to pay $25, so I carried the bag through TSA, went straight to the gate and gate-checked it for free, then went off to buy some food for the flight.
I think that's a fantastic idea!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
F bin space should be reserved for F and the FA for F could easily enforce (could also make gate announcement). That would also let F board last as is the case with many non-US carriers which would also permit faster boarding. However that will still not resolve the problems of massive lines for groups 1 & 2 at hubs where I've seen 50-75% of the passengers boarding.

Originally Posted by helvetic
United should make 1st checked bag free for everyone, and charge non-elites to bring carry-on.
Yes this would result in faster boarding and is quite feasible as I think there are some airlines (Qantas) that require tags for all hand baggage. Simply make elites use permanent plastic tags and require big red "paid" tags for non-elites. Could also restrict "free" bag to 22" if you wanted to maintain ancillary revenue for 26"+ Could also charge BE a higher fee for carry-on.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Something else that might solve it is timely bag delivery. When it's 40 minutes after arrival to the first elite tagged bag at IAH, MCO, LAS, etc checking something that you can carry on is an exercise in wasting your own time.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I agree 100%, because it is all about the money for infrequent travelers. I hear all the time "Just wait, they'll ask for volunteers to check their bag so we wont have to pay."

As for the chutes, I like them. Yeah, need big gate area for them to work which is a problem. But going back to 2 lanes isn't gonna be great. If they can't do 5, then should have 3 lanes with live signage with one lane for the boarding group, second lane for the next boarding group, and third Bypass lane.

That way, one group can board, another group can queue. When the first group is done boarding the live signage can flip and the queued group becomes the boarding group and the empty lane becomes the next queue lane.

Apologies for forgetting what those live electronic signs are called ... been a long week.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mduell
Something else that might solve it is timely bag delivery. When it's 40 minutes after arrival to the first elite tagged bag at IAH, MCO, LAS, etc checking something that you can carry on is an exercise in wasting your own time.
Right. I don’t mind checking bags on AS because I can be pretty much assured that I will have it within 20mins of arrival. UA... not so much.

(I am elite with both, so no fee or problem getting overhead bin space on either airline)
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tstauck
I read an article a bit ago that the current system causes long lines to back up into the terminals, so they were going to test doing anyway with it.
That's the thing that drives me crazy: huge mobs blocking the terminal walkway.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Granted, I travel most trips with a duffel bag that can scrunch into just about anything, which has been another travel relief that lets me enjoy boarding late and avoid wasting away standing in a boarding chute.

I've come to find protecting soft clothing with hard luggage is overkill, and my clothes and shoes are light enough that carrying the duffel isn't heavy.
I, too, usually travel with only a small duffel bag and my laptop bag. If necessary, both of them can fit under the seat, but I have always been able to find space for my duffel, even when I'm the last passenger to board the aircraft. Even though I carry much less / smaller luggage than most others, I still often feel that I've "overpacked". Why do people travel with so much junk?

Originally Posted by villox
As a GS, I care not how many people are in group 1. If they made the boarding process better I wouldn’t feel as differentially special
Imagine how much more "differentially special" you'd feel using your Netjets Marquis Card!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Boraxo
F bin space should be reserved for F and the FA for F could easily enforce (could also make gate announcement). That would also let F board last as is the case with many non-US carriers which would also permit faster boarding. However that will still not resolve the problems of massive lines for groups 1 & 2 at hubs where I've seen 50-75% of the passengers boarding.
+1. Close the bins and then board F last - would solve my anxiety about licing the gate ^
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:00 am

If it's all about saving checked bag fees, maybe make a carryon $30 and a checked bag $25. although i'm pretty sure there is a significant cost to them for checked bags hence they prefer people carry on.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K *G; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
B20 at ORD has it as well...
Attached Images  
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA
Departing from CLE this afternoon. GA said “We are testing a new boarding procedure ...thank you for your patience as we work to improve our boarding experience.” One GS said he wasn’t happy with the change and GA asked him to please let UA know his thoughts. People are sitting mostly but a few are standing in gate area, just not lined up like before. Lots of people in area saying they liked previous process.

Last edited by FreqFlyerCLE; Oct 22, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.