Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New boarding process begins 10/19/17 at CLE?

Old Oct 18, 17, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

Just landed at CLE at 11pm on 10/18/17 from IAH and noticed every UA gate has the attached new boarding signs. All of the group 1-5 signs are gone. Anyone have info?
Attached Images   
Old Oct 18, 17, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Interesting idea, so if a GS member shows up 15 minutes before departure, they'll queue in the "bypass" lane with members of groups 1 through 4?
Old Oct 18, 17, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
Interesting idea, so if a GS member shows up 15 minutes before departure, they'll queue in the "bypass" lane with members of groups 1 through 4?
I would hope so. With that said, if there is a line in the bypass lane, the GA is going through the numbers too fast and there is probably a line down the jetway anyways, so I hope a GS member could possibly bare to wait a few more moments.
Old Oct 18, 17, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Probably a test.

After several recent DL flights, I am significantly less critical of UA's cattle pens. At least there's some order to the process.

Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
Originally Posted by adambadam View Post
I would hope so.
I think that would actually be a negative for GS, 1K, and Plat (which I think was mherdeg's point). Currently we can just breeze through the Group 1 line.
Old Oct 18, 17, 9:57 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Yeah but many of these gates at CLE are baby small. If they were to try to load a 772 or 789, this could result in chaos.

David
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:23 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
I think united could make boarding better by adding a few groups, especially for widebodies. When there are 30+ F/J seats along with additional 1ks and platinum group 1 can be crazy. However, when i fly on a widebody i just walk on with the end of group 1 because there is plenty
of bin space.
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
OP here — so they removed ALL of the old 1-5 signs at every gate. Only the signs I showed remain. Personally, as a GS, this doesn’t really impact me too much, but I do think the 1-5 groups were a useful difference from AA and DL. Oh well.
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Miler, Marriott Gold
I think the separate lines for 1- 5 has been very successful. Why change it?
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:36 pm

Eventually, we will end up with the PMUA boarding process. We should just skip to there.
tuolumne, demkr, qfrodo and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Depending on how wide the gate area is at a particular airport, it makes more sense to have the passengers sitting down next to the gate instead of stretched out in front of it. So maybe that is the goal here?

On the note of boarding groups, there is a great argument for more boarding groups and a great argument for fewer boarding groups. Every time I fly AA, I leave wanting fewer boarding groups. Every time I fly UA, I leave wanting more boarding groups. Right now, I think the magic number is around 7, but I'm not sure.
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19 View Post
Eventually, we will end up with the PMUA boarding process. We should just skip to there.
Gate lice has gotten better with shutes...going back will only make it worse. WN style is the way to go. Pre boards and GS lane A...group 1 lane B...everyone else sit down until called then alternate lanes until all boarded.
Old Oct 19, 17, 12:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Mileage Plus Silver, United Club, AA Gold, HyattGold, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by DA201 View Post
Depending on how wide the gate area is at a particular airport, it makes more sense to have the passengers sitting down next to the gate instead of stretched out in front of it. So maybe that is the goal here?

On the note of boarding groups, there is a great argument for more boarding groups and a great argument for fewer boarding groups. Every time I fly AA, I leave wanting fewer boarding groups. Every time I fly UA, I leave wanting more boarding groups. Right now, I think the magic number is around 7, but I'm not sure.
I would say that is exactly the goal. Having everyone remain seated until that group is called and then they board through the "current called lane".

I like this concept, however, skeptical anyone will not "remain seated".
Old Oct 19, 17, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
After several recent DL flights, I am significantly less critical of UA's cattle pens. At least there's some order to the process
+1. On DL I'm always wondering where to stand since there is just one Sky lane and carpet for everyone with any kind of priority.

Or LH in Germany, which is just a scrum to push your way onboard the aircraft. I prefer WN's boarding, but barring an ability to have determined the line ahead of time, UA's system works for me.
Old Oct 19, 17, 2:07 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
This only has a chance of working if gate agents aren't afraid to tell people who try to board ahead of their group to sit down and wait. I have seen many instances where someone tries to board in an earlier group than indicate don their boarding pass and the GA just lets them do it.
jtet likes this.
Old Oct 19, 17, 2:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
I definitely like the 1-5 system, but on widebody flights I certainly see a use for an additional lane for F & C (and GS) separate from group 1, the C cabin is pretty sizable on most UA aircraft and there are often heaps of 1K & Platinum in economy on those flights. I am extremely skeptical that this 2 lane system will work. I imagine the group 4-5 folks will continue to stand in the way of everyone else trying to jockey the first position when their group is called, praying for any sort of overhead space to be left.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: