FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New boarding process begins 10/19/17 at CLE? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1872783-new-boarding-process-begins-10-19-17-cle.html)

caiken Oct 18, 2017 9:01 pm

New boarding process begins 10/19/17 at CLE?

2 Attachment(s)
Just landed at CLE at 11pm on 10/18/17 from IAH and noticed every UA gate has the attached new boarding signs. All of the group 1-5 signs are gone. Anyone have info?

mherdeg Oct 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Interesting idea, so if a GS member shows up 15 minutes before departure, they'll queue in the "bypass" lane with members of groups 1 through 4?

adambadam Oct 18, 2017 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 28949879)
Interesting idea, so if a GS member shows up 15 minutes before departure, they'll queue in the "bypass" lane with members of groups 1 through 4?

I would hope so. With that said, if there is a line in the bypass lane, the GA is going through the numbers too fast and there is probably a line down the jetway anyways, so I hope a GS member could possibly bare to wait a few more moments.

Kacee Oct 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Probably a test.

After several recent DL flights, I am significantly less critical of UA's cattle pens. At least there's some order to the process.

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 28949879)

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 28949892)
I would hope so.

I think that would actually be a negative for GS, 1K, and Plat (which I think was mherdeg's point). Currently we can just breeze through the Group 1 line.

DELee Oct 18, 2017 9:57 pm

Yeah but many of these gates at CLE are baby small. If they were to try to load a 772 or 789, this could result in chaos.

David

mike2003242 Oct 18, 2017 10:23 pm

I think united could make boarding better by adding a few groups, especially for widebodies. When there are 30+ F/J seats along with additional 1ks and platinum group 1 can be crazy. However, when i fly on a widebody i just walk on with the end of group 1 because there is plenty
of bin space.

caiken Oct 18, 2017 10:26 pm

OP here — so they removed ALL of the old 1-5 signs at every gate. Only the signs I showed remain. Personally, as a GS, this doesn’t really impact me too much, but I do think the 1-5 groups were a useful difference from AA and DL. Oh well.

JerseyCityS Oct 18, 2017 10:34 pm

I think the separate lines for 1- 5 has been very successful. Why change it?

flyerbaby19 Oct 18, 2017 10:36 pm

Eventually, we will end up with the PMUA boarding process. We should just skip to there.

DA201 Oct 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Depending on how wide the gate area is at a particular airport, it makes more sense to have the passengers sitting down next to the gate instead of stretched out in front of it. So maybe that is the goal here?

On the note of boarding groups, there is a great argument for more boarding groups and a great argument for fewer boarding groups. Every time I fly AA, I leave wanting fewer boarding groups. Every time I fly UA, I leave wanting more boarding groups. Right now, I think the magic number is around 7, but I'm not sure.

Halo117 Oct 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19 (Post 28950027)
Eventually, we will end up with the PMUA boarding process. We should just skip to there.

Gate lice has gotten better with shutes...going back will only make it worse. WN style is the way to go. Pre boards and GS lane A...group 1 lane B...everyone else sit down until called then alternate lanes until all boarded.

CALMSP Oct 19, 2017 12:23 am

Originally Posted by DA201 (Post 28950082)
Depending on how wide the gate area is at a particular airport, it makes more sense to have the passengers sitting down next to the gate instead of stretched out in front of it. So maybe that is the goal here?

On the note of boarding groups, there is a great argument for more boarding groups and a great argument for fewer boarding groups. Every time I fly AA, I leave wanting fewer boarding groups. Every time I fly UA, I leave wanting more boarding groups. Right now, I think the magic number is around 7, but I'm not sure.

I would say that is exactly the goal. Having everyone remain seated until that group is called and then they board through the "current called lane".

I like this concept, however, skeptical anyone will not "remain seated".

findark Oct 19, 2017 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28949896)
After several recent DL flights, I am significantly less critical of UA's cattle pens. At least there's some order to the process

+1. On DL I'm always wondering where to stand since there is just one Sky lane and carpet for everyone with any kind of priority.

Or LH in Germany, which is just a scrum to push your way onboard the aircraft. I prefer WN's boarding, but barring an ability to have determined the line ahead of time, UA's system works for me.

swiftaw Oct 19, 2017 2:07 am

This only has a chance of working if gate agents aren't afraid to tell people who try to board ahead of their group to sit down and wait. I have seen many instances where someone tries to board in an earlier group than indicate don their boarding pass and the GA just lets them do it.

dvs7310 Oct 19, 2017 2:46 am

I definitely like the 1-5 system, but on widebody flights I certainly see a use for an additional lane for F & C (and GS) separate from group 1, the C cabin is pretty sizable on most UA aircraft and there are often heaps of 1K & Platinum in economy on those flights. I am extremely skeptical that this 2 lane system will work. I imagine the group 4-5 folks will continue to stand in the way of everyone else trying to jockey the first position when their group is called, praying for any sort of overhead space to be left.