Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I've been Global Services for 5 years and I'm looking elsewhere. Anyone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I've been Global Services for 5 years and I'm looking elsewhere. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO there are at least three questions here.

If OP wants to stay with *A, maybe other programs that stress spend might be a better fit: SQ, LH and especially LX, maybe CX, etc. This depends on the OP's typical routes.

Should OP switch to a different alliance/legacy carrier in the USA? Depending on the OP's home airport, going for DM and especially 360 with DL could make sense. With AA, EXP would be realistic but CK seems to primarily be given to travel policy makers in large corporations rather than individual passengers based on status miles and spend.

Finally, what about free agency or free agency combined with maintaining GS on UA and working toward MM status?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I find the GS check-in lobbies worth a lot especially based out of EWR. I also find UA has improved a lot in the last 2 years out the last 5, but everyone has a different experience at UA as inconsistency reigns supreme.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by In The 216
You lost credibility to me with this one statement. You truly find the gate more comfortable than the UC's (even when they're very busy)? That makes no sense.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's hyberbole like this that reduces credibility. Lounges, while sometimes crowded, are not more uncomfortable than the gate areas.
I find the new gate areas at IAH to be more comfortable than the UCs at IAH during peak hours.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Where are you mostly flying? Area 1, 2,...or an equal spread between some of those?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:24 pm

Buy an AA Airpass get CK.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by nauce
I feel like Global Services .... has gone down hill since I first become GS.

Yep there have been devaluations - possibly the biggest for GS was the loss of inherited status (affected all elites but was biggest felt for GS). There have been other devaluations (restricting GS agents ability to force certain things being one) but most are little known so pointless going into them here. But compared to the other statuses, GS has barely been touched.

What I'd really love is advice.
Any guidance? Thanks in advance, friends!
You don't have to be knowledgeable to enjoy many of the benefits of GS, however at 1K you really do. GS is a huge leap above 1K if you know what can be done, so if you are unsatisfied with GS it probably means that you would benefit from swotting up. There is no comparable earn-able status on any other US airline.

Last edited by ermintrude; Oct 4, 2017 at 9:57 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are running a small business, I feel safe in assuming that you didn't get your GS handed to you as a low-cost (to United) perk of signing a corporate contract. In other words, you earned GS by spending a lot of money on United.

If you have flown enough to reach at least a million miles, or even better, two or three million, then stopping with lifetime status eases things throughout *A. So if you are close to one of those thresholds, I'd recommend sticking with United until you pass it. Then reconsider your loyalty going forward.

My feeling always has been that if I ever qualified for GS by spend, then I had failed. United was making way, way too much money off of me and not giving me enough in return.

I reached two million lifetime miles and then revisited. My decision, which I am sticking with, is to pick for each route the best deal with the requirement that it be at least business class on long haul international flights. Domestically, business is fine for any transcon that has a flat (or near flat) seat, otherwise I refuse to pay for domestic first as it is basically a garbage class of service.

I also use rather than accumulate frequent flyer miles from either an airline or credit card.

I've been doing this for about the last 4 years and have been much happier than when I kept fighting to earn UA status.

It only takes two trans-Atlantic round trips in business a year on BA to become silver (the One World equivalent of *gold). It's probably harder on many other carriers, but maybe not.

You will be amazed at how much happier you are not feeling obliged to stick to one carrier whenever you can.
SanDiego1K and zgringo14 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I'm dreading the day I lose GS, likely due to changing jobs and either not traveling as much or moving to a company with a more restrictive cabin class policy.

I love the perks of GS and it's a world of difference from 1k. Granted I'm fairly new to the club so I can't compare to the golden days.

I love:

1. Never having to worry about finding space for my carry-on near my seat
2. Not caring about the length of security lines at my most frequented US airports (EWR and SFO).
3. (Almost) never having to worry about upgrades. I've flown about 60 segments so far this year (about 20 purchased international premium and 40 purchased domestic economy) and have flown economy only once and that was because I deliberately changed to an earlier flight that was booked full in F.
4. Proactive care from GS. One flight from LHR back home went mechanical and the LHR station manager called me and offered 4 options including OA AND a decent sized ETC.
5. Another time I misread flight info while doing a SDC and the agent was able to put me back in my seat on my original sold out flight.
6. Companion perks including forced saver/upgrade for a companion on my itinerary
7. GFL access especially at LHR

For me, it's been an amazing program even though I'm sure I don't maximize it. The benefits are valuable just with my natural travel. My friend who has Chairman's Circle really only has domestic UC access as an additional perk.

Another friend is a DL 360 and although he frequently gets the Porsche rides, which is pretty cool, there seem to be a lot more benefits for GS.

I don't know much about AA CK
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
Delta Diamond

Come to Delta, they are in the process of "culling the herd." Too many top level Diamonds, so DL raised the credit card spend wavier to $250,000.00 for Diamond Medallion (yes, you read that figure right... quarter of a million dollars.) DL wants you to spend with DL, not use the credit card to get status. Diamond is 125K MQM'S & $15K spend so in 2019 probably see 30% reduction in DM status. Which should reduce the number of flyers using the SkyClubs. DM's get that free (I have a Lifetime Executive membership that I purchased...option no longer available.) DL has also upgraded many of the clubs. the Seattle one has a spa and very nice shower facilities in it. Worth taking a peek at it. However it does come down to routing and availability.

I feel that the Delta agents do what they can for you, and lately they have made an extra effort to acknowledge status regardless of where you are seated in the plane.

Wildman
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
The quick summary of downhill customer service:
* When connections are late, they don't work to backstop flights like they used to. Same thing when routing or other irregular operations happen.
Yes, I've noticed this. If you're proactive and phone the airport GS line, you may still have luck. I have.

* Mileage tickets booked for others are not upgradeable.
Sure they are. Just did it today. GS miles, GS upgrade. GS doesn't have to be on the itinerary.

* My award inventory is indistinguishable from other tiers (1k, etc.)
False. GS has insanely better saver economy award inventory. T conversion.

* They don't ever do favors to help out family members in need
Why would they? You expect them to treat anyone that knows a GS like a GS?

* Simply stated, I feel kind of... like I'm not in the top 1% of revenue.
You caught feels.

The lounges, at this point, are a total joke. With the intense marketing push for United Credit cards, I'm finding that the gate is almost always more comfortable than the lounge.
Thanks for the chuckle.

So out of your entire bullet list of complaints, only the first has validity.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: NZ *E
As someone who generally buys in a premium cabin for my travel, I find I get much better service on Delta with no status at all compared to United with NZ*G

I've already maxed out AirNZ's loyalty program back in June so I've been a free agent since then for my US domestic flying. It's nice to just be able to pick the nicest ride for each route -- often for me that means the nicer plane with a PTV vs United's dreadful 737 F seats.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Part of me says that having no brand allegience would be better for me. If they don't care about me, why shouldn't I just book whoever is most convenient each trip?
True.

But don't forget - there is always a difference between being an elite member and traveling in F class. So ask yourself - are you ready to lose those small stuffs? For example, a F class passenger is not entitled for specialized GS/1K desk agent.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
With that kind of airline and CC spend, you can qualify for top tier (1K/EXP/DM) at two airlines. Why not split your loyalty between two of the above?
good info
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As to "former GS" check in with spin88!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Hey all! Super helpful stuff.

Sorry I didn't add more context re: my homebase and frequent destinations. I realized, with the feedback of my lounge comments, that this must vary by location.

I am based in Seattle. I travel most frequently out of the country; usually Russia or Eastern Europe. I also make it to NYC and SFO with some frequency. (Lounge comments were mostly about SFO, where I connect quite a bit.)

There are some really interesting takeaways here.
* Perhaps the grass is always a bit greener on the other side. And I'm also used to the perks, and will probably miss them when/if they are gone.
* Status on two airlines is really smart; never considered that.
* It seems that a number of GS folks are able to get perks that I have not gotten recently.
* It sounds like those of you that have gone free agent are not looking back; very heartening.
* These same folks (mostly) seem to optimize on a per-trip basis. Also very sensible.
@jgsx --> Your comment is most surprising about GS Miles upgrading at GS Status. They have specifically told me that they do not do this anymore. I've booked at least 10 such tickets this year; zero upgrades. Do you say anything special via phone to get them to do it?

Just to clarify a couple things, I'd love feedback on the following:
* Those of you that get more out of GS than I do (which sounds kind of like everyone..): Do you make the time to call UA yourself? Or do you have an admin/PA that does it?
* A couple people seemed to suggest that high CC spend gets you status perks on some airlines. Is this true? Any faves for this?
* Anyone in GS also have a Black Card? Any comments on if this takes the pressure of status-earning off? They told me at the LH F lounge that Black Card now grants you access.

Thanks again, everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.