Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I've been Global Services for 5 years and I'm looking elsewhere. Anyone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I've been Global Services for 5 years and I'm looking elsewhere. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by nauce
* A couple people seemed to suggest that high CC spend gets you status perks on some airlines. Is this true? Any faves for this?
It is true. Just take UA as an example, the M+ Club Card get you the lounge, Premier Access, BG 2, and free 2 bags.

The only difference from a Premier Gold are IRROPS, a higher RDM multiplier, E+, the almost nonexistent CPU (and waived co-pay), dedicated phone lines, etc...

* Anyone in GS also have a Black Card? Any comments on if this takes the pressure of status-earning off? They told me at the LH F lounge that Black Card now grants you access.
Which Black Card are we talking about? The one issued by Barclay, the AMEX Centurion Card or else?

While I am not sure on this subject matter, IMHO many airlines will not allow lounge access because you have certain credit cards.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:55 am
Original Poster

I meant the Amex Centurion; sorry for not being clearer!

Originally Posted by garykung

Which Black Card are we talking about? The one issued by Barclay, the AMEX Centurion Card or else?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:31 am

I meant the Amex Centurion; sorry for not being clearer!
AMEX Centurion holders are now entitled to LH F lounges at MUC T2 satellite when flying LH, LX, or OS. This is new as of a couple of weeks ago.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's hyberbole like this that reduces credibility. Lounges, while sometimes crowded, are not more uncomfortable than the gate areas. I'm cheap - if gate areas were almost always more comfortable than the lounges, I wouldn't have a Club Card.
I'm with the OP on this one. US lounges are lame, barely better than the gate, IMO. Eating at a nicer restaurant in the terminal is hands-down the better experience. I'm pretty over with the US lounge scene.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
They told me at the LH F lounge that Black Card now grants you access.
Hi there,
I do think you need to consider your home port in your status priorities, and also your flying pattern and the fares your buying.
For me the biggest single advantage of airline status is handling during IIROPS. If you're flying UA domestically in the US for this, you'll want UA status. GS Pre-boarding is also a great perk which isn't offered by most other airlines for their top top tier status.

Additionally, you won't get any upgrades on UA with Star Alliance Gold status, the only time it's helped me is they went out of my way to check bags through on separate tickets.

As discussed, it looks like you fly UA enough to retain GS and also get another status. For me, I have LH HON Circle but I also have OneWorld Emerald for when I fly OW. Helps a lot and gives options.

Without going on forever, I'd suggest keeping GS and getting status in another alliance too. Lufthansa status (unlikely you will fly enough to get HON, so let's talk SEN) will help with LH award availability and during IIROPS, but won't give you the option of taking advantage of cheaper F or J fares on OneWorld carriers.

One other thing, as said above the Centurion card now gives access just to one of LH's F lounges in Munich (in the T2 Satellite building). This is a great new perk, I can see it being extended to Frankfurt FCL B too as it's rarely busy, and they've been doing trials selling access to that lounge.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
So, I am finishing my 4th year as GS and will renew for next year as long as nothing drastic changes in their selection process.

I am AMS based with lots of travel to IAH and LAX (for LAX I fly KLM to LHR and take the nonstop).

I've seen lots of good and lots of bad in the last year but absolutely DO NOT know how I would get used to not being GS - if that ever happens.

Here's a list of where I think GS is absolutely valuable:
  • GS Agents are 99.999% of the time amazing
  • I have not paid a single change fee in 2017 (GS agents always waive them)
  • GS Agents ability to "make things happen" that normally shouldn't or wouldn't on a reservation
  • GS check in areas are great
  • 100% upgrade success rate - whether a CPU, RPU or GPU is used
  • I notice the difference in attentiveness by FA's in flight
  • GFL access when traveling on a biz class ticket
  • The benefit of pre-boarding is priceless with the level of gate lice today!
  • The one time I did check a bag this year, the GS agent came to me after I boarded to let me know that she confirmed my bag had been loaded

Now, this may not be what it used to be, but it's still a great program!!

Now, the lounges suck for the most part. I dropped my UC membership years ago mainly because they are so friggin crowded. BUT - the ORD Polaris lounge is up there with the big boys. It's simply fantastic and I'd put it ahead of lounges like the SilverKris lounge in SIN. Yesterday I had another FANTASTIC experience at the LHR Global First Lounge. In time, more Polaris lounges will be opened which I welcome with open arms. But even in the past when I was doing IAH-IAD-DXB on a regular basis, the GFL in IAD wasn't very nice... the food was actually terrible BUT they had good wine and it was quiet and usually somewhat private considering there were never many people in it.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
You referenced award tickets, but you did not mention whether or not you use your RPU's and GPU's for your family members. If you do, the value of these instruments alone is probably worth retaining GS. If you can secure $60K or so in UA metal spend to lock in GS, you might want to shift the remaining premium travel to carriers that will give you a better experience.
I think he actually can have a pass plus flex with $50K and get a free GS and go ahead spent most of these on LH or NH or whatever.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: AS MVP
If you're SEA based, I'd seriously consider AS or even DL.

Get matched to AS MVP Gold 75k. MVP Gold change fee waiver is great for revenue and award flights.

Time is probably your most valuable asset. Forget about connecting in SFO on UA. I'd just take the most convenient nonstop anywhere, with the most convenient schedule. Domestically, AS and DL nonstops are your best bet from SEA.

Internationally with AS, you get BA, AF (starting next year), FI, Condor, HU, KE nonstop out of SEA.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
If you're SEA based, I'd consider DL just because of the nonstops alone. Note that quite a few routes would be codeshare (e.g. VS or AF) so not sure how treatment would be compared to riding their own metal. Also based on my understanding from my 360 friend, there isn't that much difference between DM and 360 other than the Porsche thing and maybe irrops handling, but I might be wrong. Boarding for 360 is same as DM for example. Also no similar upgrade or inventory perks.

Your question about GS upgrades for friends, they need to be supported with an instrument or miles but they access to PN inventory. If you use miles to book a ticket for a friend, they don't get the same CPU privileges (unless you're flying on the same itinerary I believe).

Any other airline "published" tier (DM/EXP/MVP etc) isn't going to be close to what are used to with GS. Maybe LH HON but that requires some serious effort and would you fly LH enough to enjoy the benefits?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by avi8tir
  • The benefit of pre-boarding is priceless with the level of gate lice today!
As the President of the North American Gate Louse Union, I agree wholeheartedly with this one!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by In The 216
You lost credibility to me with this one statement. You truly find the gate more comfortable than the UC's (even when they're very busy)? That makes no sense.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's hyberbole like this that reduces credibility..

It's you guys who lose credibility when you reflexively question others' credibility simply because they make observations you disagree with.

I flew through EWR and BOS Monday. In both locations the agents were literally roaming the lounge looking for empty seats. I got a cup of coffee and went directly to the gate area. It was much more comfortable.. I just checked on my MP Visa Club Card renewal date, because I'm not renewing.

To the OP, I too have had GS for a few years and observe that it's slipping fast. In another thread, I noted how GS agents have tried to go cheap when rebooking mis-connects -- only looking at options with cheaper fare classes than what I started with. Well, it just happened to me again since then. The SFO agents are the worst at this. In fact, out of the dozen or so there, there are perhaps 2 that are any good.

OTOH, I just booked 4 RTs for my family to Singapore for 320K miles and upgraded them all (Yes, this is possible). Saver economy was available. But upgrades were only available for GS (PN=7, R=0). My paid ticket cost $5K. So $20K of value (actually more, because the tickets are changeable) for 320K miles ain't bad.

That's a big advantage. Forcing an upgrade for a companion is also extremely valuable.

I'm wondering if you couldn't get Pass Plus fly and LH and somehow get your LH FF number credited for HON status...... I've thought about doing that myself.
LordHamster and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:34 am
Original Poster

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the thoughts on using PP and booking on other metal. Never really thought about it.

I'm going to look at a bit at DL, given that you can get the highest status level with a CC. (Crazy!)

I get the strong sense that I've been somewhat amateur with respect to utilizing the GS benefits. You guys are way more pro than me at this.
@flyingstudent nailed it. Time is our most valuable (and ONLY non-renewable asset).

So I need to think about how to better get these benefits without investing too much time myself.

Re: Lounges --> Thanks for the backup, everyone. I'm not sure if others are just angry... or if they really have great lounge experiences. I haven't had one since I was "a kid." Once I started thinking outside of the box, I realized that I was WAYYYY better off at the gate. Especially in re-done terminals in places like SFO.

At this point, I just avoid them and go to the gate. Or a the 'nicest' restaurant in the terminal. Only exceptions are Global First (and other Carrier's First) lounges.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the thoughts on using PP and booking on other metal. Never really thought about it.

I'm going to look at a bit at DL, given that you can get the highest status level with a CC. (Crazy!)

I get the strong sense that I've been somewhat amateur with respect to utilizing the GS benefits. You guys are way more pro than me at this.
@flyingstudent nailed it. Time is our most valuable (and ONLY non-renewable asset).

So I need to think about how to better get these benefits without investing too much time myself.

Re: Lounges --> Thanks for the backup, everyone. I'm not sure if others are just angry... or if they really have great lounge experiences. I haven't had one since I was "a kid." Once I started thinking outside of the box, I realized that I was WAYYYY better off at the gate. Especially in re-done terminals in places like SFO.

At this point, I just avoid them and go to the gate. Or a the 'nicest' restaurant in the terminal. Only exceptions are Global First (and other Carrier's First) lounges.
If lounge is the main grip with UA, get an Amex card and stop by the Centurion lounge at SFO Terminal 3 on your way to International Terminal. I envy everyone with GS status. If you cannot take advantage of all GS benefits, you should think of moving to another airlines.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
How close to Million Miler?

Originally Posted by findark
I think it's interesting that you called out LH F in your post. A lot of the advice I would offer depends a lot on whether you are looking for a 3-cabin First level of service in your travel, or if Business would do.

If LH F is the level of quality you want, you should not bother with loyalty to United. UA F is a dying, inferior product with a nice seat and absolutely nothing else (besides the fabled soup) to distinguish it from J. Polaris is nice, but doesn't hold a candle to a true F product. Fly LH F, SQ F, CX F, etc. and don't worry about loyalty.

However, those products can be extremely expensive even when compared to J class products. In the simply J world (and I will get a lot of flack for saying this), UA isn't all that bad. I agree with the decline in GS benefits you cited (although you still have hugely significant award travel benefits - in summary your saver Economy inventory is T and saver Business is R, and you can force award space for your spouse). But I would find it hard to say things are that much better anywhere else. Unless all your international travel is to a select city set, you're not likely to make or benefit from top status on a non-US carrier. For all its decline, UA GS is still an extremely valuable status, if only for the ton of upgrade instruments and award travel benefits that can save you money especially on leisure travel. If you're finding that, without really forcing it, your travel qualifies you for GS, I still think it's the best bet out there.

Especially if you like taking family vacations, the upgrade and award travel benefits of GS are hard to match on any airline, anywhere.
One consideration: given the amount of flying you do, you've got to be close to Million Miler status. At that point, your spouse will share your status: if you ar GS, he or she will be GS. End of the Lounge access and status differential problems.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I am an American Airlines Executive Platinum (equivalent to 1K) for about 10 years in a row. It is not any better at AA.

Over the past 5 years I have noticed a continual degrading of how American treats their best customers. Since all of the consolidation of the major airlines and the massive hub airports under their control , none of them {care} about us.
porciuscato likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 5, 2017 at 3:59 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.