Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Based on my calculations, I'll be 904mi short. I think I can do a MR cheaper than buying. I'm based out of PHL, I think the cheapest MR I can pull off is to DEN and back. I could drive up to EWR and probably get a cheaper fare but the hassle and driving cost may not be worth it.
My other thought was perhaps finding a cheap one-way phl-iad-xxx, I skip iad-xxx and drive back in a rental. The fare would have to be really cheap to be worth that hassle though.

Last edited by eng3; Nov 8, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Current Platinum on United. I shudder to think of the responses, but I currently sit at 32K PQS and 2400 PQD (firm scaled back on flying this year).

I have a flight on Jan 4 that will be an additional 10K PQS and 1K PQD (MEL - LAX - IAH)

I still have not booked a return flight back to Mel, so I wanted to see if there was any way I can leverage this one-way (J if need be) to grant me (at least) gold status for 2018!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
Current Platinum on United. I shudder to think of the responses, but I currently sit at 32K PQS and 2400 PQD (firm scaled back on flying this year).

I have a flight on Jan 4 that will be an additional 10K PQS and 1K PQD (MEL - LAX - IAH)

I still have not booked a return flight back to Mel, so I wanted to see if there was any way I can leverage this one-get in special way (J if need be) to grant me (at least) gold status for 2018!
There is little chance flights in 2018 can be used for 2017 credit. Falling short of both PQMs and PQDs (If MEL resident you will be exempt from PQDs) is not going to get a special relief.

Perhaps better to be thinking about 2018 and how these flights can give you a headstart.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: UA Gold
i know the buy up is not cheap or good deal but you don't have to go through all the hassle.. i was about 2k short of hitting 50k and no plan to travel for the rest of 2017(in switzerland so not easy) so ended up paying $575 for 5k miles. when you factor in the cost of flights, time, rental car, etc, it may be not that bad to just buy up unless you have a lot of free time!

Originally Posted by eng3
Based on my calculations, I'll be 904mi short. I think I can do a MR cheaper than buying. I'm based out of PHL, I think the cheapest MR I can pull off is to DEN and back. I could drive up to EWR and probably get a cheaper fare but the hassle and driving cost may not be worth it.
My other thought was perhaps finding a cheap one-way phl-iad-xxx, I skip iad-xxx and drive back in a rental. The fare would have to be really cheap to be worth that hassle though.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by skgolf91
My wife last year got bumped to 1k with only 65k miles but $30k PQD so United def cares about how much you spend. If PQD is barely over $12k, then I would make sure you are over 100k PQM.
Did she request it or did they just notify her of the bump? Had she previously been 1K?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
iended up paying $575 for 5k miles
That's just over 10 cpm, which is about as cheap as PQM ever get. The PQM are typically not so cheap when UA knows you need them to clear 1K.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold
no, she didn't request and one day in Jan 2016 i think but might have been in Dec 2015, her status showed as Premier 1K.. we were shocked and this was before i knew about FT. she didn't get any notifications right away since we were confused if the change was real or an error! we even called the premier line and the agent we talked to was as confused as we were.. that's when i discovered FT.. she was only Gold in 2015

Originally Posted by shutter41
Did she request it or did they just notify her of the bump? Had she previously been 1K?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's just over 10 cpm, which is about as cheap as PQM ever get. The PQM are typically not so cheap when UA knows you need them to clear 1K.
Yep correct.. I think 7 cpm is the cheapest I have seen PQM's early in the year. I'm 7250 short and need to get creative over christmas.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
i know the buy up is not cheap or good deal but you don't have to go through all the hassle.. i was about 2k short of hitting 50k and no plan to travel for the rest of 2017(in switzerland so not easy) so ended up paying $575 for 5k miles. when you factor in the cost of flights, time, rental car, etc, it may be not that bad to just buy up unless you have a lot of free time!
I tried testing some short flights like ORD-MKE, and the lowest offer I managed was 2K PQM for $250

The cheapest flight (on a weekend) I can get at the moment is PHL-DEN RT (6h layover). I think the total cost flight, drive to airport, parking comes out to something like $220.

I just don't like the idea of just handing money over to UA for "nothing". But you make a good point. You're right, it takes alot of time unless I've got nothing better to do.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is little chance flights in 2018 can be used for 2017 credit. Falling short of both PQMs and PQDs (If MEL resident you will be exempt from PQDs) is not going to get a special relief.

Perhaps better to be thinking about 2018 and how these flights can give you a headstart.
Good call! Please note that I do have the month of December off - would it be worth it to take a mileagerun during this time? If so, ideas on what to do?!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
Good call! Please note that I do have the month of December off - would it be worth it to take a mileagerun during this time? If so, ideas on what to do?!
so you need 18k PQM, that's a lot. 9k in premium cabin on NZ is an option, or 18k BIS in a full earning class in coach. Use ITA to look for options would be my best idea.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by eng3
I tried testing some short flights like ORD-MKE, and the lowest offer I managed was 2K PQM for $250

The cheapest flight (on a weekend) I can get at the moment is PHL-DEN RT (6h layover). I think the total cost flight, drive to airport, parking comes out to something like $220.
If you're only 904 mi short, just do PHL-IAD-PHL, it's 1000 PQM.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miasmal
Sure, and $450 RT. UA has very little interest in trying to sell PHL-IAD tickets. The number of people who are looking to fly between PHL and IAD (without connecting somewhere else) is vanishingly small. That's a market where most people would take the train or drive; unless someone's specifically going to the Dulles area, flying is likely much slower than driving or taking the train.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by miasmal
I know that's my shortest option, but the cheapest flight I can find is about $450. It would be cheaper to buy miles for $250. PHL-DEN is the only thing I can find thats less than $250

EDIT: Actually, I just checked PHL-DEN again and its only $135 now. I guess I'll do that.

Last edited by eng3; Nov 11, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:40 am

Missing 23 miles to Gold

Towards the end of the year, i am only short on 23 miles to be Gold. I am currently silver.

Anyone can advise if there is something I can do???
I will have more flights for sure, but not this year.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.