Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How are there so many 1K? PQD Impossible!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are there so many 1K? PQD Impossible!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kale73
Well, they can theoretically do anything thery want to do. If they wished, they could set it up raffle style so that every non-BE ticket you buy equates to one entry in a sweepstakes drawing (two for paid F) to be held every Jan. 1 to determine who has what status. The more tickets you buy, the better your odds!

But that scenario hardly makes any business sense. It's up to the airline to decide whether or not your "suggestion" has merit.
I think you misunderstood my post. I would not look forward to such a scheme, just as I'm not eager for dynamic award pricing to arrive. But the latter is almost upon us, and it operates by the same logic that my scenario of dynamic elite status awards is based on. If one form of dynamic pricing makes business sense for the airline industry, I don't think we can dismiss the other side of the coin quite so quickly.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by transportprof
I think you misunderstood my post. I would not look forward to such a scheme, just as I'm not eager for dynamic award pricing to arrive. But the latter is almost upon us, and it operates by the same logic that my scenario of dynamic elite status awards is based on. If one form of dynamic pricing makes business sense for the airline industry, I don't think we can dismiss the other side of the coin quite so quickly.
I'm skeptical. Without a clear bar to strive for, I don't think people will run for status as much. Doesn't seem profitable for the airline.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
All it takes for a lot of travelers is 2 or 3 round-trip business tickets from U.S. to Europe or Asia to cover the 1K PQD. Domestic frequent flyers buying first or refundable economy have no problem getting there if they travel once a month, which is not really that heavy of a travel schedule. If you're flying discount coach on U.S. or other carriers, it's a slog.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
It's not easy and it's not supposed to be ...
This!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I'm skeptical. Without a clear bar to strive for, I don't think people will run for status as much. Doesn't seem profitable for the airline.
I'm also skeptical... but this is exactly how GS is defined, and they seem to be doing well with that.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
... Some of us grind it out the really hard way.
I’ll be requalified for next year by the first week in October, and I’ve done 0 international miles this year ... 100% domestic. It’s awful earning it, a few PQMs at a time.. EWR-CMH-EWR. EWR-ATL-EWR. EWR-DFW-EWR. EWR-MCO-EWR. Rinse & repeat ....

Ive said it before - I really wish there was a way to divide the 1K’s into domestic/int’l road warriors. Different privileges for each.

I.E. - give int’l 1K’s access to polaris lounges, plenty of GPUs (on any fare class!) and maybe some other privileges but not CPUs. Let the domestic 1Ks get CPU priority and maybe some other extra domestic privileges.

Something like that - haven’t fully thought it out - but things like GPUs don’t help me much. I’d trade them for GS-like CPU privileges any day of the week....
Same here. I requalifiied in early August and I'm sitting at 137 PQS, 139K PQM and $28K PQD with zero international travel. 90% of my travel involves a CR145/200/700 at some point. My CPU and RPU/GPU success % is so awful that I stopped tracking it. I'll finish the year around 170PQS/PQM and $35K PQD and ZERO chance at GS qualification. 100% Coach ticket purchases
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
All it takes for a lot of travelers is 2 or 3 round-trip business tickets from U.S. to Europe or Asia to cover the 1K PQD. Domestic frequent flyers buying first or refundable economy have no problem getting there if they travel once a month, which is not really that heavy of a travel schedule. If you're flying discount coach on U.S. or other carriers, it's a slog.
My PQDs are through the roof because I tend to fly last minute fares, but they are exclusively Economy. $600+ PQD with 1,000 PQM is really a bummer.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Even DL manages to give MQD on partner ticketed flights. The requirement of 016 ticket stock is is the biggest problem with UA's PQD scheme.
+1. I see it as a real weakness in MP given that United lacks product that is competitive in so many markets at this point. E.g. ex-SFO if I want to fly UA to Asia, its either expensive J or Y which is .6" narrower than on a 737 on the 77W. As a result, CX is getting a lot of my travel recently, in J/PE or Y (on a family trip). Booking *A carriers that I used to take has gotten much more complex.

My guess is that the revenue sharing deal with BR/ANA does not include PE, which is why UA will not sell it.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
In my experience, all it takes is 1 round-tip business ticket. I easily spend $10K/year on Y-cabin travel without even thinking about it (between work and personal), and given that J usually costs at least $3K and often $5K more than Y, a single trip puts me way over the top for PQDs.

In fact, this is the first year I'm even having to think about PQDs, and it's because two things happened: I haven't bought a J ticket, AND I flew a bunch of code share segments that earned me no PQDs. So with planned travel between now and December 31, I'm looking at 98K PQM and $11K PQD. The 2K PQM is easy to make up with a domestic transcon, but I don't feel like spending $1K on a short flight like SFO-EWR, so will either have to make two domestic flights or one international. (YVR tends to be expensive, so maybe that plus an LAX trip or something.)

The real lesson is that if you want to be 1K and don't fly a huge amount of paid J, you can do it, but try to keep almost all of your travel on UA metal. That's not so bad if your home airport is a hub like SFO. But I've flown ~$1000 itineraries like SFO-FRA-XXX for various XXXes where I got under 100 PQD, because somehow they decided that all the cost of the ticket was in the FRA-XXX segment, which was on LH in K class and earned nothing.

But to all these people talking about $3800 J tickets (presumably Z or P fares), how and where? Do you have some mega-discount through work? I'd gladly purchase $3800 J tickets for international travel, but usually see prices around $7000 round-trip and almost never under $5000. Mostly I'm looking at the minimum number of stop-overs, though. I suppose the price goes sometimes goes down with a less direct route, but then J is no longer a clear win.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ftweb
But to all these people talking about $3800 J tickets (presumably Z or P fares), how and where? Do you have some mega-discount through work? I'd gladly purchase $3800 J tickets for international travel, but usually see prices around $7000 round-trip and almost never under $5000. Mostly I'm looking at the minimum number of stop-overs, though. I suppose the price goes sometimes goes down with a less direct route, but then J is no longer a clear win.
Yes, Z/P fares. I browse FT for discounted J tix. I have a R/T later this year in J (LAX-SYD-LAX), and the fare was around $2,500 from UA.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I agree. How many sane people would engage in mileage runs, dollar runs, segment runs, and book higher fare classes if there was only a chance that such activity might gain them a certain status? Yes, there are some (just look at LAS ), but the number of people who will strive to reach a set goal is greater than (and I think mostly inclusive of) those who are willing to "give it their best shot" with no clear outcome in sight.

I know exactly how many PQM (50,000) or PQS (60) I need to fly to reach Gold status and exactly how much money ($25,000) I need to spend on the United Chase® co-branded credit card to qualify. And I plan accordingly.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gokeeper
I might be wrong, but it seems you can't issue BR ticket with 016 stock.
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Wow seriously? The same alliance without interlining agreements? That's a very bad move.

Absolutely incorrect.

Im almost 100% sure there is an inter line agreement. The issue is discount economy fares on BR - at least most, if not all, are restricted to BR stock. So if you want a full fare BR ticket, it shouldn’t be an issue. If you want a discounted fare, then forget about it.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:15 pm

United doesnt have a revenue sharing deal with BR, only ANA. BR is not part of that arrangement.

Get ready for 10 across on the 777 on CX, which will mirror what UA has now on their 773.

Originally Posted by spin88
+1. I see it as a real weakness in MP given that United lacks product that is competitive in so many markets at this point. E.g. ex-SFO if I want to fly UA to Asia, its either expensive J or Y which is .6" narrower than on a 737 on the 77W. As a result, CX is getting a lot of my travel recently, in J/PE or Y (on a family trip). Booking *A carriers that I used to take has gotten much more complex.

My guess is that the revenue sharing deal with BR/ANA does not include PE, which is why UA will not sell it.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Yes, Z/P fares. I browse FT for discounted J tix. I have a R/T later this year in J (LAX-SYD-LAX), and the fare was around $2,500 from UA.
Flexibility and/or able to book in advance. I just booked SFO-FRA-BUD LYS-MUC-SFO on UA/LH J for $3300 in January. If it was BUD r/t would have been $2850.
I was also looking at my birthday in July and I could book SFO-EU-SFO for about $3500 today.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ftweb

This week I got lucky and purchased a return trip in Polaris class to HKG for the end of November for $3500 (P fare). Not so lucky when United wants $8000 for a December trip to MUC or for a January trip to PVG. No mega-discount at work so I'll be sitting in Economy + for those two trips. Bulkhead seats will make the trip a little more comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.