Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How are there so many 1K? PQD Impossible!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are there so many 1K? PQD Impossible!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I think it would be pretty hard to be 1K from the US if you did not do 3 or more international business class trips (even heavily discounted, which is the only way I will do it) or lots of paid domestic first. I suspect that for most 1Ks it is the former, and it is business travel. And I also suspect that is the group UA is trying to target.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
... Some of us grind it out the really hard way.
I’ll be requalified for next year by the first week in October, and I’ve done 0 international miles this year ... 100% domestic. It’s awful earning it, a few PQMs at a time.. EWR-CMH-EWR. EWR-ATL-EWR. EWR-DFW-EWR. EWR-MCO-EWR. Rinse & repeat ....

Ive said it before - I really wish there was a way to divide the 1K’s into domestic/int’l road warriors. Different privileges for each.

I.E. - give int’l 1K’s access to polaris lounges, plenty of GPUs (on any fare class!) and maybe some other privileges but not CPUs. Let the domestic 1Ks get CPU priority and maybe some other extra domestic privileges.

Something like that - haven’t fully thought it out - but things like GPUs don’t help me much. I’d trade them for GS-like CPU privileges any day of the week....
PMNW tried this for one year only. IMO it was a disaster for anyone doing a mix of domestic and international travel.
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I think it would be pretty hard to be 1K from the US if you did not do 3 or more international business class trips (even heavily discounted, which is the only way I will do it) or lots of paid domestic first. I suspect that for most 1Ks it is the former, and it is business travel. And I also suspect that is the group UA is trying to target.
I'll be close to hitting 1K this year and I'm 100% domestic in Economy.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Ive said it before - I really wish there was a way to divide the 1K’s into domestic/int’l road warriors. Different privileges for each.

I.E. - give int’l 1K’s access to polaris lounges, plenty of GPUs on any fare class!) and maybe some other privileges but not CPUs. Let the domestic 1Ks get CPU priority and maybe some other extra domestic privileges.

Something like that - haven’t fully thought it out - but things like GPUs don’t help me much. I’d trade them for GS-like CPU privileges any day of the week....
This would be a great idea. I almost never fly domestically so would happily lose the CPUs and RPUs in favor of more GPUs without fare class restrictions.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Even DL manages to give MQD on partner ticketed flights. The requirement of 016 ticket stock is is the biggest problem with UA's PQD scheme.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by aero0729
I just booked a $1400 ticket round trip Prem Economy class to Bangkok on Eva.
You got a great price though - $1400 for premium economy on BR to BKK.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Next April you can get SFO-TPE-BKK rt for $1250 on Premium Economy on BR. I'm jumping on that because my flying in general is going way down. I'm just worrying about my PQDs to hit Gold which will be fine on the 2 TATL J tickets I buy. Being a leisure 1K for 4 years sure was fun!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by aero0729
Hello,

I just booked a $1400 ticket round trip Prem Economy class to Bangkok on Eva.

I just realized I will earn ZERO PQD!! My fault entirely.American and Delta offer fairly extensive PQD earnings for Premium Economy Class fares so I had no idea these flights literally will not count for status. Seems pretty ridiculous and takes all the fun out of it since United.com doesn't price even close to the competitor website and I did not see a Premium Economy. So this begs the questions, with on United tickets earning PQD, how do so many people achieve 1K!?
It's not easy and it's not supposed to be. I have been a 1K for @ 12 years. I fly 90% domestic 10% international and in most years in coach! Most years I don't break the threshold until late December, some times with a last minute mileage run, and once I past 1K in June!
As for not being price competitive I have EWR-NRT-SGN-NRT-SFO-EWR (on 016 stock) this year for sub $700.00.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Artpen100
100% domestic, 100% economy.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
The last year I was a 1K (way back in 2006), I spent ~$12000 on airfare (pretty much PQD) on UA flights. That didn't include several LH flights that could have been on 016 stock. I don't see a problem with spending a lot more on flights given today's pricing.

The funny thing is, now that my flying is less (probably around 30K miles/year), I find that I wouldn't even qualify for silver based on PQD thresholds. Thank you MM status! Of course, I also don't stay on UA for all my flights for the same reason
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gokeeper
May be it need at least a UA leg to ticket 016 stock? It allow me to ticket under either UA or BR for the following itinerary.
Could it be the first over-the-ocean carrier as in some RTW tickets?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA has a goal for how many 1K's there are. If there weren't enough they would ease the requirements. If they didn't have the current restrictions there would be too many.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by gamma
100% domestic, 100% economy.
looks like my account last year. I was at like $15k PQD and 59k PQM.
gamma likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
UA has a goal for how many 1K's there are. If there weren't enough they would ease the requirements. If they didn't have the current restrictions there would be too many.
Your post gave me a chill. Could UA go to dynamic elite selection criteria some day? Say they announce they will appoint 25,000 1Ks in a future year, and then announce in January who ranked in the top 25,000 for PQM, PQD, and PQS?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
Your post gave me a chill. Could UA go to dynamic elite selection criteria some day? Say they announce they will appoint 25,000 1Ks in a future year, and then announce in January who ranked in the top 25,000 for PQM, PQD, and PQS?
Well, they can theoretically do anything thery want to do. If they wished, they could set it up raffle style so that every non-BE ticket you buy equates to one entry in a sweepstakes drawing (two for paid F) to be held every Jan. 1 to determine who has what status. The more tickets you buy, the better your odds!

But that scenario hardly makes any business sense. It's up to the airline to decide whether or not your "suggestion" has merit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.