Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Track My Bag - UA's bag tracking app

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by gashwingomes
Hi all.

I'm in the UA Polaris lounge right now waiting on my domestic connection to ATL.

Itinerary SPU-MUC-ORD-ATL, one itinerary, booked with UA directly, in J.
Checked in with OU this morning at SPU. Have an OU issued bag tag, tagged all the way to ATL. Bag showed up on the UA app till I got to ORD.

Picked up bag, cleared customs, dropped the bag off at T5 recheck. It was scanned there. Went to T1. But now the UA app says there's no bag associated with the itinerary. Spoke w Cust service at the Polaris desk. She couldn't find the bag in the system either. She said "they should've given you a separate UA tag when you rechecked". That's the first I've heard of that.

So now, obviously, I wonder if the bag will show up in ATL.

If not, of course, I'll make a claim at the UA bag office in ATL. But I wonder how that will go if the OU tag number isn't even showing up. Bizarre. I thought all of this would be seamless given it's *A.

Have y'all heard about new tags having to be printed for UA at T5, for a single itinerary ticket?

​​​​
LOL - don't worry yet -- OU (Croatia Airlines) may be in *A but it doesn't mean that UA systems always "get it". SInce the bag got to ORD -- and you rechecked in T5 as always -- I'm 99% certain it will show up in ATL just fine -- don't fault UA systems (aka the local scanning gun) for not recognizing the bag tag ID -- as someone that's flown OU many times -- and never lost a bag -- take a deep breath it will work out.... And that "crap" about a new tag being printed at T5 -- NOPE - unless for some reason you only checked it to ORD?
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
unless for some reason you only checked it to ORD?
From the OP,
Have an OU issued bag tag, tagged all the way to ATL.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, AV
Thanks y'all. Checked to ATL. Now it's the wait and see game
jsloan and WVmike like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hi all.

I'm in the UA Polaris lounge right now waiting on my domestic connection to ATL.

Itinerary SPU-MUC-ORD-ATL, one itinerary, booked with UA directly, in J.
Checked in with OU this morning at SPU. Have an OU issued bag tag, tagged all the way to ATL. Bag showed up on the UA app till I got to ORD.

Picked up bag, cleared customs, dropped the bag off at T5 recheck. It was scanned there. Went to T1. But now the UA app says there's no bag associated with the itinerary. Spoke w Cust service at the Polaris desk. She couldn't find the bag in the system either. She said "they should've given you a separate UA tag when you rechecked". That's the first I've heard of that.

So now, obviously, I wonder if the bag will show up in ATL.

If not, of course, I'll make a claim at the UA bag office in ATL. But I wonder how that will go if the OU tag number isn't even showing up. Bizarre. I thought all of this would be seamless given it's *A.

Have y'all heard about new tags having to be printed for UA at T5, for a single itinerary ticket?

​​​​
Does your claim tag show the final destination as being ATL? Your post said it was. Did you also check to make sure the bag tag stuck on the bag in Split had ATL showing clearly on it?

I am assuming that was an OU-issued bag tag for SPU-MUC-ORD-ATL. Sometimes the bag tag numbers issued for European Star Alliance airline flights don’t seem to copy over to UA in a way that makes it easy to track the bags. I’ve had some such weird issues when having had my bags checked in at LH outstations to go to FRA/MUC and then be transferred to UA flights either in Germany or the US. More often than not, I don’t get the bag tags reissued at ORD, and yet my bags usually make it just fine to the final airport printed on the tags on the checked bag.

The UA bag tracking on the UA app and the manual checks by UA reps are far from perfect — and it’s part of the reason why some consider tossing in AirTag and TilePro trackers in the luggage.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The fact the bag was recheck and scanned would seem to be evidence it was checked beyond ORD. Shows like an IT glitch and would not spend a moment worry. This is a case of revealing too much information to the customer from glitchy systems works to the customer's disadvantage.

I appreciate UA reveals a lot of data to the customer but it has its dark side.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I've had checked bags disappear enroute that subsequently do arrive to the baggage carousel. Now I try not to check their trip progress. LOL But if I check and one has gone missing, I've learned to reign in my panic until all the bags are out, as almost always do show up. Hope yours does!
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, AV
Thanks everyone. I needn't have worried. The bag showed up within about 10 minutes at ATL.

I don't think of myself as a worry wart. However, I'm very used to DL and, I'm sure it happens with them too, it's just not common in my experience.
SPN Lifer, royng and JimInOhio like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Another happy ending
SPN Lifer and gashwingomes like this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium (LT Silver), UA Silver
Anyone knows what a "sector mismatch" means regarding a gate-checked bag that the app does not show got loaded onto flight?

I have a gate checked bag on a connecting itinerary and after landing off my first flight, the app does not have any scans for my bag other than showing it was "received". There's no load or unload scan from my first flight. I asked a gate agent and they said they see a "sector mismatch." Meanwhile both Twitter and phone support says they see a scan onto my first flight but no unload. Any guesses what might be happening here?
Old Apr 2, 2023, 7:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I hate how same-day itins seem to confuse the bag tracking app, to the point it claims the claim # isn't valid and that no bags are associated with the itin. This happens to me almost every time I travel on same-day trips, be they a roundtrip or 2x one-ways.

This thread reminded me though that arriving at HND after a series of irrops earlier this year, there was a sign at baggage claim with my name asking me to contact a UA agent. I was sure it was yet another foul up in the series of bad luck plaguing us to that point, and the baggage agent initially said our bags had been left in ORD (which would have been amazing given they'd been checked the prior day and had plenty of time to be loaded). The app was no help as it showed only the ORD scan. I used the Tile app to look for the bag, and saw it at ORD 14 hours earlier but not since--a good sign--then Tile showed the bag was "found." About 15 minutes later it finally came out at the carousel, and the agent happily backed out of the paperwork she'd been filling out to track down the bags and provide reimbursements in the meantime.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:11 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Tracking Bags

I’ve never used the bag tracking feature via the United app before as I usually carry on, however recently I did check a bag and it looks like its working fine however the last entry was NH805 NRT/BKK INFORMATION NOT AVAILABLE. - Is this cause for concern?
h2oflyboy likes this.

Last edited by n198ua; Jun 30, 2023 at 2:33 am
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:28 am

Programs: MC - Gold HH-Diamond UA - 1K
Originally Posted by n198ua
I’ve never used the bag tracking feature via the United app before as I usually carry on, however recently I did check a bag and it looks like its working fine however the last entry was NH805 NRT/BKK INFORMATION NOT AVAILABLE. - Is this cause for concern?

The UA APP will not update when it has been handed over to another carrier. ANA desktop site only includes links to WorldTracer - that is only available if you arrived at your destination and opened a WT File (delayed baggage report) with them.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Thankyou I feel better.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
And even when it's in United's hands it's inconsistent, at least when another operator is involved.

Recent trip from *A to UA in foreign city. One of two bags showed as loaded on UA flight to US, other did not (though tag was in system). Both arrived.

Domestically I've found it to be pretty accurate.
GUWonder and jsloan like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 5:49 am

App said bag was loaded, but it wasn't

A new one for me yesterday. Two of us on the same reservation. We each checked a bag, and the app showed both bags were loaded on the flight. However, only one bag made it. The other was not on our flight and is allegedly in transit via a connection (ours was a nonstop).

I am surprised, because I thought there would be a scan if the bag were pulled after loading. Is this tracking feature essentially unreliable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.