Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should LH return GPU with Involuntary Downgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should LH return GPU with Involuntary Downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Yes but I received also 1000 Euros from Lufthansa
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jsloan
Downgrade compensation -- especially under EU law -- is supposed to be a penalty for the carrier for failing to provide the service advertised. That penalty is supposed to be on top of a refund for services not rendered.
athome is actually correct this time.

For IDB, Article 7 of EC261/2004 states "shall receive compensation". However, for downgrade, Article 10 states "reimburse".

I won't say it is attempted fraud. But the word "reimburse" actually excludes the possibility that the GPU can be returned, as OP's refund should be based on a F class ticket. In other word, the refund absorbed the GPU.

But I do think that the €1000 is not enough in this case.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Which is why I am not following up the GPU return.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
For IDB, Article 7 of EC261/2004 states "shall receive compensation". However, for downgrade, Article 10 states "reimburse".
That's a really, really poorly worded law. I imagine that you'd need relevant case law in order to interpret it, but I wasn't able to find any. Given the existing court interpretations -- e.g., that a long delay and cancellation have the same passenger effect, so they should be treated the same -- I'd imagine that a court would rule in favor of the passenger (i.e. refund plus penalty), but you're right; that's not the way it's written.

Having said that, the regulation, as written, is ridiculous. There are plenty of flights where the discount coach fare is much more than a 30/50/75% discount from, say, full fare first/business -- and that's even without trying to define what the fare for a particular flight segment is in a world of round-trip, connecting fares. So, suppose somebody purchases a €2,000 F fare for a Type 2 flight. If the going rate for Y was €200, the clear incentive for the carrier is to oversell F, offer a €1,000 refund, and pocket €800 profit.

(To be fair, I suppose it's better than comparing the price paid to full Y -- or J, for F->J downgrades -- and then billing the customer for the downgrade instead. )
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's a really, really poorly worded law.
At least they have one
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
...that's not the way it's written.
Right. Because the negative impact from the downgrade is only a matter of inconvenience. So it is unlikely that any courts will extend the same reading of delay/cancellation to downgrade.

...and pocket €800 profit.
It is not a perfect world...

Originally Posted by Kacee
At least they have one
+1
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cbourl
I reported it UA said they would try and get it back but I decided not to follow through with return
how long since you contacted them? If more than 2 weeks I would reply to that Email and ask for an update. This should be a no-brainer to get the GPU back.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbourl
Yes but I received also 1000 Euros from Lufthansa
Now I just need points credited FRA-JFK D Class x2 EQM Who books into I class for C except for a redemption I paid D class C
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
athome is actually correct this time.

I won't say it is attempted fraud. But the word "reimburse" actually excludes the possibility that the GPU can be returned, as OP's refund should be based on a F class ticket. In other word, the refund absorbed the GPU.

But I do think that the €1000 is not enough in this case.
Yes, but the GPU is not actually the "property" of the OP. Recall that per MileagePlus rules, the miles and instruments are actually the property of MileagePlus. That the OP received a check for €1000 is irrelevant. His MP account should get the instrument back.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann
Yes, but the GPU is not actually the "property" of the OP. Recall that per MileagePlus rules, the miles and instruments are actually the property of MileagePlus. That the OP received a check for €1000 is irrelevant. His MP account should get the instrument back.
Let me direct you to the relevant language of Article 10:

2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse...
It is unknown if a paid upgrade (in any forms) is considered a purchase. However, for OP to be entitled for downgrade reimbursement (Note: not compensation) under EC261/2004, OP's ticket must be "purchased" in F. In that case, OP's UA GPU must be "used" for F upgrade.

While UA's policy is to return the instrument used for the upgrade , OP was reimbursed, despite inadequate, in accordance to EC261/2004.
The reimbursement effectively absorbed the GPU.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Let me direct you to the relevant language of Article 10:

It is unknown if a paid upgrade (in any forms) is considered a purchase. However, for OP to be entitled for downgrade reimbursement (Note: not compensation) under EC261/2004, OP's ticket must be "purchased" in F. In that case, OP's UA GPU must be "used" for F upgrade.

While UA's policy is to return the instrument used for the upgrade , OP was reimbursed, despite inadequate, in accordance to EC261/2004.
The reimbursement effectively absorbed the GPU.
Thank you for “directing” me. However, if the OP follows up with UA and provides his C class boarding passes, he should get the GPU back in his MP account. The GPU is not considered currency or property of the MP member.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann
Thank you for “directing” me. However, if the OP follows up with UA and provides his C class boarding passes, he should get the GPU back in his MP account. The GPU is not considered currency or property of the MP member.
The problem is once the GPU has been returned, LH is no longer bound by the EC261/2004. The GPU is the nexus.

Keep in mind - while it is a UA policy to return instrument as a portion of downgrade compensation, LH is not bound by UA policy but EU law. As OP is "reimbrused" as a downgraded F>J customer, GPU is considered consumed. In other word, the reimbursement is in lieu of the GPU.

(Note - I am not sure OP's approach in this case. Is OP going to ask for more money or GPU back? If I was OP, I would ask for more money instead of GPU return.)
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

The problem is once the GPU has been returned, LH is no longer bound by the EC261/2004. The GPU is the nexus.

Keep in mind - while it is a UA policy to return instrument as a portion of downgrade compensation, LH is not bound by UA policy but EU law. As OP is "reimbrused" as a downgraded F>J customer, GPU is considered consumed. In other word, the reimbursement is in lieu of the GPU.

(Note - I am not sure OP's approach in this case. Is OP going to ask for more money or GPU back? If I was OP, I would ask for more money instead of GPU return.)
Im considering the GPU consumed by the orginal upgrade to F Still had use of First lounges and First Terminal and Cayenne ride to 747-400, so Euro 1K is enough compensation for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.