Search

Convert ticket on I to R?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Convert ticket on I to R?

Hi -

I booked a ticket with miles in Bus Saver for my family. Luckily I included myself, but I'd actually rather buy it with $$ and apply a GPU. Didn't get to it on the same day and on the next day the R space was gone (as was the I space)

Has anyone ever successfully called UA and convinced an agent to cancel their I ticket but make R space available (I am 1k not GS - there is PN space)

Or will the I and R space re-open once I cancel my ticket?

Or should I just wait and see and hope that they make more R available over time?

Any advice would be much appreciated
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Wait and see if they make R available. First book the ticket and apply the GPU and only then cancel your award ticket. You will have no fees to cancel the award ticket - but might run into the risk of not having confirmed R space and having to sit in Economy for the flight.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
Has anyone ever successfully called UA and convinced an agent to cancel their I ticket but make R space available (I am 1k not GS - there is PN space) ...
This is not a common action.
But I will admit I once had a agent go to bat and get premission to change I space to R when there was R only space on the morning SFO-FRA and I only space on SFO-FRA. But I think there was an exceptionally stroke of luck.

....Or will the I and R space re-open once I cancel my ticket? ...
Would be unusual for UA

....Or should I just wait and see and hope that they make more R available over time? ....
While both are rare, getting closer to departure new R space is more common than new I space opening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.