Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page > Saver award reservation to changed standard award? for free after schedule change

Saver award reservation to changed standard award? for free after schedule change

Old Sep 12, 17, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Saver award reservation to changed standard award? for free after schedule change

I had originally booked a 3 segment (IAD – SFO – LAX – MEL) saver award for late December. I received notice that the SFO – LAX segment had a schedule change, and we’d arrive in LAX about 50 minutes prior to our flight departing for MEL. The schedule was already pretty tight before that, but at the time of booking there weren’t any other saver awards available. I called to see what my options were (I knew there was a newly available saver IAD – LAX – MEL flight, leaving IAD at 6:20AM that I really didn’t want since LAX – MEL departs at 10:30PM) and after the agent searched around for options, I suggested the IAD – LAX – MEL departing IAD in the afternoon, which was only available at the standard award pricing. After being on hold for a while, she came back and confirmed the booking. I was not charged any additional points.

Just wondering if this is a loophole I discovered in UA’s award system, or I just got lucky with the phone rep I spoke with.
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:09 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
When there are schedule changes, UA agents have some greater flexibility to accommodate customers without price increases. But note that since you already had the LAX-MEL link at Saver rates, all the agent did was force IAD-LAX to a Saver rate. To UA, this probably didn't seem like a huge sacrifice to keep you happy.
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the OP have status with UA? This probably would have helped.
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Does the OP have status with UA? This probably would have helped.
Nope. I primarily split my business travel between Delta and UA (was working on status with the former) but maybe I should reconsider that.
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:15 am

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Silver
I have booked saver flights well into the future several times. There are almost always schedule changes, and these often result in having to call because of potential missed connections, etc. I have never had any agent even bring up availability of saver rates on other flights. They just book the change. I've always thought that once you have your ticket, they need to honor it, and they will open up space where needed. Existence of saver rates shouldn't even be a concern.
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER View Post
I have booked saver flights well into the future several times. There are almost always schedule changes, and these often result in having to call because of potential missed connections, etc. I have never had any agent even bring up availability of saver rates on other flights. They just book the change. I've always thought that once you have your ticket, they need to honor it, and they will open up space where needed. Existence of saver rates shouldn't even be a concern.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep that in mind in case my return flight has a schedule change!
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER View Post
This is true for (new) flights operated by the airline of your FF program, but agents generally cannot open partner availability, although there are a few exceptions.
Old Sep 12, 17, 7:40 pm

This is OP for schedule changes . Sometimes UA, as the FFP, will even open seats when it is a partner that had the schedule change and the partner doesn't have alternatives that work. Keep that in mind if you have a choice of *A program (for example transferring from chase) to redeem with.

Search this Thread