Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH treated me better than United!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by seat38a
Visited the Business Class section at CPH in June, was not impressed with the breakfast spread or the LACK of booze on offer. Only wine and beer in the lounge. I prefer the fresh items such as mixed fruit and whole fruits that are available at United Clubs than all of the dried stuff on offer at CPH.
Just goes to show each to their own...

I preferred the cold cuts and cheese, the mineral water, and definitely the coffee in CPH, while I don't need any alcohol, let alone spirits for breakfast!

Also, while it's a bit kitsch, I didn't mind the Ikea-vibe of the CPH lounges.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: LH, DL
Originally Posted by wtigerFF
Is LH a lot different than it was 15-20 years ago? .... Sometime in Y, sometimes in C. I didn't think think either was that exciting. In general, I thought the service was very rigid. Certainly nothing I would describe as warm and friendly, which is admittedly, subjective.p
I've had uniformly great service from LH in the past 10 years on TALTs in both Y(saved pasta meal for sleeping child) and C (very engaging FAs, attentive, actually fun). I notice this even when evaluating FA interactions with other pax.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GMTmin8
I've had uniformly great service from LH in the past 10 years on TALTs in both Y(saved pasta meal for sleeping child) and C (very engaging FAs, attentive, actually fun). I notice this even when evaluating FA interactions with other pax.
The FAs on my last LH longhaul were an absolute delight. Seven LH segments this year, crews were never less than professional, and six of them were excellent.

I've had some very good crews on UA, too. But it's a different style.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

To the OP, as a *A Gold, you can use any LH lounge in the US, even when flying domestically. I've been to the ones in DTW and IAD. They are both very nice if you happen to be there when they are open.
You mean I can use the LH lounge at IAD, even if I'm just flying domestic on UA? I fly LAX/IAD round trip several times a year. Where is the LH lounge ?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flaii
most surprising to me was that on 2 of the shorthaul flights - in Economy! -, the flight attendants addressed me (and only me from what I could see) by name, when taking my drink order and also when deplaning!
This used to be a very nice Senator perk long time ago. On longhauls, I had a captain come introduce himself once (and I was in economy as well). You probably ran into very old-school crew, or Lufthansa is improving their treatment of elite fliers. I suspect it's the former, though.

I was SEN for 5+ years, and about 4-5 years ago switched to Mileage Plus. The only time I would look back is when trying to book longhaul exit row seats on LH/LX now that my SEN finally expired
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Surf40
You mean I can use the LH lounge at IAD, even if I'm just flying domestic on UA? I fly LAX/IAD round trip several times a year. Where is the LH lounge ?
You can, as long as you have physical access to the lounge. If Domestic and International terminals are completely separate, which they probably are, then you're out of luck.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by hdogan
You can, as long as you have physical access to the lounge. If Domestic and International terminals are completely separate, which they probably are, then you're out of luck.
In IAD, the LH Lounge is in Concourse A. You can access it from C/D airside but you need a longer connection as you have to take one of those strange shuttles; I think there is also a tram. There are also some UAX flights departing from Concourse A. You do have to be flying a *A airline to access the LH Lounge as a *A Gold Elite but it doesn't not have to be an international flight.

In DTW, the LH Lounge is in the same terminal as UA. It's the only option as DTW does not have a United Club.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Surf40
I just realized that I should have answered this here rather than several posts later. It's in Concourse A, accessible Airside from C/D via variable shuttles/trams. Other details in #37

Sounds as if I should try LH again at some point and erase that horrible kosher meal memory.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just realized that I should have answered this here rather than several posts later. It's in Concourse A, accessible Airside from C/D via variable shuttles/trams. Other details in #37

Sounds as if I should try LH again at some point and erase that horrible kosher meal memory.
There's a map of Dulles in the United app; you can actually find the lounges, and get directions to them, by doing a search.

The Lufthansa lounge is near B51 (A & B are in the same concourse, accessible by moon buggy or train from the majority of the United traffic at C & D). There is also a Turkish Airways lounge near B43.

I've used both of them as a UA *G with a domestic ticket. Bring your physical card if you have one, just in case -- some agents apparently ask for it.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan
There's a map of Dulles in the United app; you can actually find the lounges, and get directions to them, by doing a search.

The Lufthansa lounge is near B51 (A & B are in the same concourse, accessible by moon buggy or train from the majority of the United traffic at C & D). There is also a Turkish Airways lounge near B43.

I've used both of them as a UA *G with a domestic ticket. Bring your physical card if you have one, just in case -- some agents apparently ask for it.
I use LH and TK lounges for EVERY UA flight, international or domestic, and it greatly enhances the experience. To get from either lounge to UA terminal, you take the train from terminal B and the third (and final) stop is the C terminal for UA. Takes me on average about 15 minutes from LH lounge to UA gate and I've gotten good at timing it so I arrive at UA gate just as Group 1 is boarding.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I like the LH soft product better, and think the hard product about the same, though I have not flown the new Polaris seat.

I always book through UA.com, though, not for status, but because Mileageplus miles are more useful to me than Miles&More. Also, the change policy for nonrefundable tickets is very flexible on UA and other US airlines (basically a credit less the change fee, usable on any other ticket within a year), and not on LH or other EU airlines (generally, must rebook between the same cities prior to the original departure date).

The LH Senator lounge at IAD is one of my favorites there, but it does take more time if you are flying domestic UA from C/D, where even the UA GFL lounge is inferior. I would not go early just for it, but if I am there early, I will go. The TK lounge nearby is nice, too, but has become more crowded than LH.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

Thanks for the clarification about the LH lounge being in B. I didn't see it on the Dulles map that I found online, and I knew I'd gone there when I was flying out of A. I'd didn't realize I'd ever been in B!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I like the LH soft product better, and think the hard product about the same, though I have not flown the new Polaris seat.

I always book through UA.com, though, not for status, but because Mileageplus miles are more useful to me than Miles&More. Also, the change policy for nonrefundable tickets is very flexible on UA and other US airlines (basically a credit less the change fee, usable on any other ticket within a year), and not on LH or other EU airlines (generally, must rebook between the same cities prior to the original departure date).

The LH Senator lounge at IAD is one of my favorites there, but it does take more time if you are flying domestic UA from C/D, where even the UA GFL lounge is inferior. I would not go early just for it, but if I am there early, I will go. The TK lounge nearby is nice, too, but has become more crowded than LH.
Maybe it seasonality but I have noticed that UA Dulles lounges have now achieved the EWR "refugee camp" crowding levels, they are at best unpleasant
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:30 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Was in the LH lounge at IAD connecting to a domestic UA flight. the UC can't compare with the LH lounge. LH lounge was great, nice food, friendly staff, it will be my go to place anytime I transit through IAD.

By the way, went to the new Star Alliance lounge at LAX, stopped by the UA lounge to ensure I was going in the right direction. She asked me why I was going there, and I said I am on a domestic UA flight, she said "don't hold your breath" I doubt they will let you in. Was greeted with open arms, great place to spend some time. It is however a walk from the UA terminals to the International one, but certainly worth your time if you have it.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
Visited the Business Class section at CPH in June, was not impressed with the breakfast spread or the LACK of booze on offer. Only wine and beer in the lounge. I prefer the fresh items such as mixed fruit and whole fruits that are available at United Clubs than all of the dried stuff on offer at CPH.
Two comments here:

1) If you were in the Business Class lounge downstairs and not the Gold lounge upstairs - sometimes the food offerings are slightly nicer upstairs. Also, the breakfast offerings are standard continental but the lunch/dinner tends to be better. (Timed it once to be there to see both breakfast and lunch )

2) I have been consistently underwhelmed by UA clubs. Once I needed a quick printout of my connecting Eurowings flight and the workers just shrugged and said, sorry our printers don't work. Also I find the UA clubs super chaotic and the food just middling to miserable. To each their own, I suppose!

More on topic:

In my experience as a non LH *G on LH/LX metal - I have often been told at check-in that they would keep the seats next to me free as long as possible on longhaul Y tickets, which makes all the difference to stretch out on FRA-SFO in cattle class!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.