LH treated me better than United!

Reply

Old Sep 12, 17, 8:57 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; VA Silver; HH Diamond; Accor Gold
Posts: 807
Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
Visited the Business Class section at CPH in June, was not impressed with the breakfast spread or the LACK of booze on offer. Only wine and beer in the lounge. I prefer the fresh items such as mixed fruit and whole fruits that are available at United Clubs than all of the dried stuff on offer at CPH.
Just goes to show each to their own...

I preferred the cold cuts and cheese, the mineral water, and definitely the coffee in CPH, while I don't need any alcohol, let alone spirits for breakfast!

Also, while it's a bit kitsch, I didn't mind the Ikea-vibe of the CPH lounges.
sol95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:05 pm
  #32  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal
Programs: LH, DL
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by wtigerFF View Post
Is LH a lot different than it was 15-20 years ago? .... Sometime in Y, sometimes in C. I didn't think think either was that exciting. In general, I thought the service was very rigid. Certainly nothing I would describe as warm and friendly, which is admittedly, subjective.p
I've had uniformly great service from LH in the past 10 years on TALTs in both Y(saved pasta meal for sleeping child) and C (very engaging FAs, attentive, actually fun). I notice this even when evaluating FA interactions with other pax.
GMTmin8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:21 pm
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 37,944
Originally Posted by GMTmin8 View Post
I've had uniformly great service from LH in the past 10 years on TALTs in both Y(saved pasta meal for sleeping child) and C (very engaging FAs, attentive, actually fun). I notice this even when evaluating FA interactions with other pax.
The FAs on my last LH longhaul were an absolute delight. Seven LH segments this year, crews were never less than professional, and six of them were excellent.

I've had some very good crews on UA, too. But it's a different style.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 11:08 pm
  #34  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by wtigerFF View Post

To the OP, as a *A Gold, you can use any LH lounge in the US, even when flying domestically. I've been to the ones in DTW and IAD. They are both very nice if you happen to be there when they are open.
You mean I can use the LH lounge at IAD, even if I'm just flying domestic on UA? I fly LAX/IAD round trip several times a year. Where is the LH lounge ?
Surf40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 11:24 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SIN
Programs: UA 1K, LH FTL, IHG Spire Amb, SPG Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 822
Originally Posted by flaii View Post
most surprising to me was that on 2 of the shorthaul flights - in Economy! -, the flight attendants addressed me (and only me from what I could see) by name, when taking my drink order and also when deplaning!
This used to be a very nice Senator perk long time ago. On longhauls, I had a captain come introduce himself once (and I was in economy as well). You probably ran into very old-school crew, or Lufthansa is improving their treatment of elite fliers. I suspect it's the former, though.

I was SEN for 5+ years, and about 4-5 years ago switched to Mileage Plus. The only time I would look back is when trying to book longhaul exit row seats on LH/LX now that my SEN finally expired
hdogan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 11:25 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SIN
Programs: UA 1K, LH FTL, IHG Spire Amb, SPG Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 822
Originally Posted by Surf40 View Post
You mean I can use the LH lounge at IAD, even if I'm just flying domestic on UA? I fly LAX/IAD round trip several times a year. Where is the LH lounge ?
You can, as long as you have physical access to the lounge. If Domestic and International terminals are completely separate, which they probably are, then you're out of luck.
hdogan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 11:40 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 482
Originally Posted by hdogan View Post
You can, as long as you have physical access to the lounge. If Domestic and International terminals are completely separate, which they probably are, then you're out of luck.
In IAD, the LH Lounge is in Concourse A. You can access it from C/D airside but you need a longer connection as you have to take one of those strange shuttles; I think there is also a tram. There are also some UAX flights departing from Concourse A. You do have to be flying a *A airline to access the LH Lounge as a *A Gold Elite but it doesn't not have to be an international flight.

In DTW, the LH Lounge is in the same terminal as UA. It's the only option as DTW does not have a United Club.
wtigerFF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 11:47 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 482
Originally Posted by Surf40 View Post
You mean I can use the LH lounge at IAD, even if I'm just flying domestic on UA? I fly LAX/IAD round trip several times a year. Where is the LH lounge ?
I just realized that I should have answered this here rather than several posts later. It's in Concourse A, accessible Airside from C/D via variable shuttles/trams. Other details in #37

Sounds as if I should try LH again at some point and erase that horrible kosher meal memory.
wtigerFF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 17, 12:42 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 7,425
Originally Posted by wtigerFF View Post
I just realized that I should have answered this here rather than several posts later. It's in Concourse A, accessible Airside from C/D via variable shuttles/trams. Other details in #37

Sounds as if I should try LH again at some point and erase that horrible kosher meal memory.
There's a map of Dulles in the United app; you can actually find the lounges, and get directions to them, by doing a search.

The Lufthansa lounge is near B51 (A & B are in the same concourse, accessible by moon buggy or train from the majority of the United traffic at C & D). There is also a Turkish Airways lounge near B43.

I've used both of them as a UA *G with a domestic ticket. Bring your physical card if you have one, just in case -- some agents apparently ask for it.
jsloan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 17, 4:55 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Programs: UA 1K & MM, MR Plat, Discovery Plat
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
There's a map of Dulles in the United app; you can actually find the lounges, and get directions to them, by doing a search.

The Lufthansa lounge is near B51 (A & B are in the same concourse, accessible by moon buggy or train from the majority of the United traffic at C & D). There is also a Turkish Airways lounge near B43.

I've used both of them as a UA *G with a domestic ticket. Bring your physical card if you have one, just in case -- some agents apparently ask for it.
I use LH and TK lounges for EVERY UA flight, international or domestic, and it greatly enhances the experience. To get from either lounge to UA terminal, you take the train from terminal B and the third (and final) stop is the C terminal for UA. Takes me on average about 15 minutes from LH lounge to UA gate and I've gotten good at timing it so I arrive at UA gate just as Group 1 is boarding.
lotemblizej is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 17, 7:58 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: UA 1K, AF Silver
Posts: 1,352
I like the LH soft product better, and think the hard product about the same, though I have not flown the new Polaris seat.

I always book through UA.com, though, not for status, but because Mileageplus miles are more useful to me than Miles&More. Also, the change policy for nonrefundable tickets is very flexible on UA and other US airlines (basically a credit less the change fee, usable on any other ticket within a year), and not on LH or other EU airlines (generally, must rebook between the same cities prior to the original departure date).

The LH Senator lounge at IAD is one of my favorites there, but it does take more time if you are flying domestic UA from C/D, where even the UA GFL lounge is inferior. I would not go early just for it, but if I am there early, I will go. The TK lounge nearby is nice, too, but has become more crowded than LH.
Artpen100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 17, 3:12 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 482
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
There's a map of Dulles in the United app; you can actually find the lounges, and get directions to them, by doing a search.

The Lufthansa lounge is near B51 (A & B are in the same concourse, accessible by moon buggy or train from the majority of the United traffic at C & D). There is also a Turkish Airways lounge near B43.

I've used both of them as a UA *G with a domestic ticket. Bring your physical card if you have one, just in case -- some agents apparently ask for it.
Thanks for the clarification about the LH lounge being in B. I didn't see it on the Dulles map that I found online, and I knew I'd gone there when I was flying out of A. I'd didn't realize I'd ever been in B!
wtigerFF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 17, 10:01 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by Artpen100 View Post
I like the LH soft product better, and think the hard product about the same, though I have not flown the new Polaris seat.

I always book through UA.com, though, not for status, but because Mileageplus miles are more useful to me than Miles&More. Also, the change policy for nonrefundable tickets is very flexible on UA and other US airlines (basically a credit less the change fee, usable on any other ticket within a year), and not on LH or other EU airlines (generally, must rebook between the same cities prior to the original departure date).

The LH Senator lounge at IAD is one of my favorites there, but it does take more time if you are flying domestic UA from C/D, where even the UA GFL lounge is inferior. I would not go early just for it, but if I am there early, I will go. The TK lounge nearby is nice, too, but has become more crowded than LH.
Maybe it seasonality but I have noticed that UA Dulles lounges have now achieved the EWR "refugee camp" crowding levels, they are at best unpleasant
wanderingkev is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 17, 10:30 pm
  #44  
sfo
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,570
Was in the LH lounge at IAD connecting to a domestic UA flight. the UC can't compare with the LH lounge. LH lounge was great, nice food, friendly staff, it will be my go to place anytime I transit through IAD.

By the way, went to the new Star Alliance lounge at LAX, stopped by the UA lounge to ensure I was going in the right direction. She asked me why I was going there, and I said I am on a domestic UA flight, she said "don't hold your breath" I doubt they will let you in. Was greeted with open arms, great place to spend some time. It is however a walk from the UA terminals to the International one, but certainly worth your time if you have it.
sfo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 17, 7:58 am
  #45  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: DE
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
Visited the Business Class section at CPH in June, was not impressed with the breakfast spread or the LACK of booze on offer. Only wine and beer in the lounge. I prefer the fresh items such as mixed fruit and whole fruits that are available at United Clubs than all of the dried stuff on offer at CPH.
Two comments here:

1) If you were in the Business Class lounge downstairs and not the Gold lounge upstairs - sometimes the food offerings are slightly nicer upstairs. Also, the breakfast offerings are standard continental but the lunch/dinner tends to be better. (Timed it once to be there to see both breakfast and lunch )

2) I have been consistently underwhelmed by UA clubs. Once I needed a quick printout of my connecting Eurowings flight and the workers just shrugged and said, sorry our printers don't work. Also I find the UA clubs super chaotic and the food just middling to miserable. To each their own, I suppose!

More on topic:

In my experience as a non LH *G on LH/LX metal - I have often been told at check-in that they would keep the seats next to me free as long as possible on longhaul Y tickets, which makes all the difference to stretch out on FRA-SFO in cattle class!
joppiesaus is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread