LH treated me better than United!

Old Sep 11, 17, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

LH treated me better than United!

So, Iím a 1 Million Miler on Untied, and even though my travel has been cut way back, I still enjoy the limited perks of Premier Gold for life. Last week I flew to Naples Italy on a United code share with Lufthansa out of LAX, connecting in Munich. The Premier Gold gave me Star Alliance Gold, and since I was flying overseas, I got to use the Star Alliance club at the Bradley Terminal at LAX. Itís head and shoulders above the United Club at terminal 7, which I canít use on domestic trips anyway. Free Food with a hot meal (Thai Coconut Chicken) free booze, etc.

I also got to board with the Business Class, which was the 2nd boarding group after First Class. When I fly United, Iím boarding group 2, which is not really the 2nd group, since the first group has GS, 1st Class, 1k, Premiere Platinum, and Business Class. On some flights thatís half the plane!

It just seems that my Star Alliance Gold perks on Lufthansa were way better than even my United overseas flights perks. Iím I missing something?
Old Sep 11, 17, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Economy Plus and free SDC are the two biggest benefits of Gold, and you don't get anything similar flying LH. Also, you can access the TBIT lounge as a *G flying any *A airline, including United (although it's kind of far away).

In general, however, *G is a really nice status to have when traveling on *A partners. I think the best treatment I've received has been on NZ, but many airlines extend a lot of courtesy to *Gs. The biggest benefit is that it's really easy to earn *G through UA MP, especially compared to M&M.
Old Sep 11, 17, 5:40 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Economy Plus and free SDC are the two biggest benefits of Gold, and you don't get anything similar flying LH
this. Plus the occasional domestic upgrade that has been less occasional for me this year. LH is tuned for international, and I do like their lounges. But to take two small wins on one trip that far is a bit far for me.

(particularly extra early boarding. Anywhere in the first half is fine with me. I do like AA's recent take: you're in group 4, but really, it was always the 4th thing we called. You will be able to store your bag in the overhead.)
Old Sep 11, 17, 6:42 pm

How was the flight itself, service, seating, food, flight attendants etc compared to UA economy?
Old Sep 11, 17, 7:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Surf40 View Post
So, Iím a 1 Million Miler on Untied, and even though my travel has been cut way back, I still enjoy the limited perks of Premier Gold for life. Last week I flew to Naples Italy on a United code share with Lufthansa out of LAX, connecting in Munich. The Premier Gold gave me Star Alliance Gold, and since I was flying overseas, I got to use the Star Alliance club at the Bradley Terminal at LAX. Itís head and shoulders above the United Club at terminal 7, which I canít use on domestic trips anyway. Free Food with a hot meal (Thai Coconut Chicken) free booze, etc.

I also got to board with the Business Class, which was the 2nd boarding group after First Class. When I fly United, Iím boarding group 2, which is not really the 2nd group, since the first group has GS, 1st Class, 1k, Premiere Platinum, and Business Class. On some flights thatís half the plane!

It just seems that my Star Alliance Gold perks on Lufthansa were way better than even my United overseas flights perks. Iím I missing something?
Considering this is all stated Star Alliance benefit, I'm not exactly sure what your trying to get at? If you flew United, as a Star Alliance Gold, you would have access to the United Club if your flying international. If you think United's boarding sucks, wait till you experience the CF that goes on at places like ZRH or CPH.

Lounge amenities are all over the place based on the airlines. The SAS lounge in CPH made me long for any United Club.
Old Sep 11, 17, 7:57 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I used to fly on full J fares to the Middle East / India on Lufthansa and they still treat me very well; a few weeks ago I got free upgrade up to business class MUC-ORD, and got to test out the premium economy before it was for sale. My favorite though is I got upgraded to First Class on a middle east flight and after getting to cruising altitude the pilot came out to introduce himself which I thought was really sweet, and they probably don't let you do that anymore.

Unfortunately I've been flagged as a drug lord (ok mule) at Frankfurt passport control, so I get the distinct pleasure of this german guy screaming at me for 3 minutes in the backroom until they decide I am actually not... a drug lord.
Old Sep 11, 17, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I've been treated pretty well by LH. Once pinched my finger on one of their flights; blood gushing everywhere. Flight attendant helped me clean the finger up and gave me bandages, offered aspirin, etc. Had that happened on UA, I'd imagine the FAs would have treated me like a leper.

However, I wouldn't necessarily say that LH is better than UA. Their catering onboard can be hit or miss. Some of their staff can also be too rigid when it comes to the rules. Their cabin temperature is more often than not too hot.
Old Sep 11, 17, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It just seems that my Star Alliance Gold perks on Lufthansa were way better than even my United overseas flights perks. I’m I missing something?
Do you also realize that to get you Star Gold on Miles&More, you would have to fly 100 thousand (Miles&more-recognized) miles a year? For 50000 miles you would get Miles&More Frequent Traveler, which would give you Star silver, and no access to Star Alliance lounge. And, LH only has Senator lifetime status for folks that are over certain age, and have been Senator-qualified for the past 10 years.

So, yeah, since their loyalty product is so much more expensive to get, they should provide better perks. In Lufthansa view, Star Gold equals Senator, which is equivalent to 1K on UA.

Last edited by hdogan; Sep 11, 17 at 9:01 pm Reason: Edited for accuracy
Old Sep 11, 17, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM; Former multi-year 1K and GS; small beer on various hotel programs
I am lifetime Gold on UA with not-quite 2mm miles under my belt on that airline. As I travel internationally fairly often, I make extensive use of *A lounges where ever I go. It is one of the main benefits I get out of being *G now that UA has dramatically downgraded the benefits you get from that status.

My main beef with flying *A partners is that they generally - though not always - seem to disregard my *G status when assigning seats. Somehow, I usually end up in a bad seat at the back of the plane because they attach more importance to my fare class (cheap) than my UA status. Occasionally, I've been able to argue for a better seat at the check-in counter but mostly it isn't worth the trouble.

LH have been better on this score than most, though, and last year when I flew to Asia on LH from FRA, I got an aisle seat (even if it was pretty far back) and a flight attendant came by to introduce himself and welcome me specially early in the flight. The people around me were confused as to why I deserved this special attention, which was pretty funny. Anyway, LH seem to do quite well on treating UA *G fliers well.
Old Sep 11, 17, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
They treated you better than they treat United?
Old Sep 12, 17, 1:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
The Premier Gold gave me Star Alliance Gold, and since I was flying overseas, I got to use the Star Alliance club at the Bradley Terminal at LAX.
As Star Gold (*G), you can access the Star Alliance (*A) TBIT lounge prior to any *A departure. Doesn't have to be international. That means you can be flying UA or LH or any other *A carrier.

And both carriers give *G priority boarding. UA divides boarding into more separate groups than LH. Personally, I prefer UA's system, as the Business/*G line for long-haul LH flights is typically ridiculously long and there's tons of cutting by pax who take advantage of the chaos.
Old Sep 12, 17, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Trailhand View Post
I am lifetime Gold on UA with not-quite 2mm miles under my belt on that airline. As I travel internationally fairly often, I make extensive use of *A lounges where ever I go. It is one of the main benefits I get out of being *G now that UA has dramatically downgraded the benefits you get from that status.

My main beef with flying *A partners is that they generally - though not always - seem to disregard my *G status when assigning seats. Somehow, I usually end up in a bad seat at the back of the plane because they attach more importance to my fare class (cheap) than my UA status. Occasionally, I've been able to argue for a better seat at the check-in counter but mostly it isn't worth the trouble.

LH have been better on this score than most, though, and last year when I flew to Asia on LH from FRA, I got an aisle seat (even if it was pretty far back) and a flight attendant came by to introduce himself and welcome me specially early in the flight. The people around me were confused as to why I deserved this special attention, which was pretty funny. Anyway, LH seem to do quite well on treating UA *G fliers well.
*G benefits have never included preferential seating.
Old Sep 12, 17, 2:48 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
..It just seems that my Star Alliance Gold perks on Lufthansa were way better than even my United overseas flights perks. Iím I missing something?
Yes you missed tons of things:
  • Enough drinks
  • Booze
  • Edible Food
  • Less censorship on the IFE
  • No Dreamliners
  • Front seating for *Golds

But there are downsides too: lower baggage limits than on UA, no E+. Their FFP is worthless, so stay with MP over M&M/

I myself by far prefer LHover UA. I'd never trade the miserable E+ benefit for all the LH advantages.
Old Sep 12, 17, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Iím I missing something?
You are getting all published *G benefits. There is nothing special about it.
Old Sep 12, 17, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I also got to board with the Business Class, which was the 2nd boarding group after First Class. When I fly United, I’m boarding group 2, which is not really the 2nd group, since the first group has GS, 1st Class, 1k, Premiere Platinum, and Business Class. On some flights that’s half the plane!
Surely LH HON boards with First?

Originally Posted by Trailhand View Post
My main beef with flying *A partners is that they generally - though not always - seem to disregard my *G status when assigning seats. Somehow, I usually end up in a bad seat at the back of the plane because they attach more importance to my fare class (cheap) than my UA status.
Makes sense, since that's not a published *G benefit.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: