Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to cancel online without calling in? (Hurricane Irma)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond

My flight for work travel to Tampa was canceled due to the hurricane barreling toward Florida. I'd like to cancel the entire itinerary without calling the 1K Desk, but the only options that have been offered through the non-phone channels (website, text message, mobile) is the option to rebook at a later date. Frankly, I don't trust that Tampa will be up and running by the next week I'm scheduled to travel there, so a rebooking could cost me yet another change fee. I'd rather cancel and get a refund to my original form of payment, then make a fresh booking when the coast is clear (literally and figuratively).

I could cancel the itinerary in the normal way, using united.com, but the cancellation confirmation page warns that I am canceling a non-refundable itinerary, and a change fee will apply. Does United hope I'll just rebook and let them have my $500++ on another itinerary? Do they really want me clogging up their phone lines? I'd rather call & sit on hold for an hour than lose even one dime on a cancellation that wasn't my fault.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Just call UA to cancel the entire itin.

As soon as I saw my flight to MCO got canceled (Thursday mid-day), I rang the Premier desk and spoke to a rep. The entire process took less than 2 minutes.

Here is the Irma thread where you can find additional information: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ki-others.html
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Wait time for the 1K line is 0-3 min tonight. I've called thrice.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

You are right -- my call was picked up immediately, and canceled without fuss. Yet another awesome thing about the 1K Desk.

My reason for asking the question was to determine whether United is adding the small bit of inconvenience on purpose. If canceling an itinerary isn't offered without calling in, it encourages customers to rebook rather than get a refund. Sometimes this plays out in the customer's favor -- the new flight would be more expensive if the airline hadn't waived the fare difference -- but I'm thinking that, in many cases, the new flight is less expensive. Rebooking means United doesn't have to refund the fare difference.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
... My reason for asking the question was to determine whether United is adding the small bit of inconvenience on purpose. ....
Doubt anyone here can provide that sort of insight -- only speculation.

What is more likely true, the system can not be programmed to determine the change fee in the case of weather waivers. Just like it does not handle GG BUYUP. These niche exceptions seem to be manually handled.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
You are right -- my call was picked up immediately, and canceled without fuss. Yet another awesome thing about the 1K Desk.

My reason for asking the question was to determine whether United is adding the small bit of inconvenience on purpose. If canceling an itinerary isn't offered without calling in, it encourages customers to rebook rather than get a refund. Sometimes this plays out in the customer's favor -- the new flight would be more expensive if the airline hadn't waived the fare difference -- but I'm thinking that, in many cases, the new flight is less expensive. Rebooking means United doesn't have to refund the fare difference.

Thoughts?
I think it is more likely the .com site and related programming required to deal with this type of event rather than anything calculated on UA's part.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Doubt anyone here can provide that sort of insight -- only speculation.

What is more likely true, the system can not be programmed to determine the change fee in the case of weather waivers. Just like it does not handle GG BUYUP. These niche exceptions seem to be manually handled.
When it comes to the United Web site, never attribute to intent what can be explained by outdated, inflexible IT.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA and other carriers go to great lengths not to pay staff to handle routine tasks. It is highly unlikely that anyone would let the price of a ticket go over a wait.

In OP's case, as the first segment was cancelled by UA, OP could call in at anytime for the refund.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
UA and other carriers go to great lengths not to pay staff to handle routine tasks. It is highly unlikely that anyone would let the price of a ticket go over a wait.

In OP's case, as the first segment was cancelled by UA, OP could call in at anytime for the refund.
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yes, I'm sure outdated IT and risk management play a part in this. The rest is speculation. :-)

I ended up rebooking my travel for this week at a higher price because word didn't come until Thursday about travel. Oh well - not my money anyway, although I do try to be frugal on my client's behalf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.