Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
United Gateway Card Benefits
  • No annual fee
  • 2 miles per $1 spent on United purchases, gas stations and local transit / commuting / ride sharing
  • 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
  • 25% back as a statement credit on food and beverage purchases onboard United-operated flights (and inflight wi-fi purchase)
  • Expanded award availability (XN)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Roadside Dispatch
  • Travel and Emergency Assistance Service
  • Purchase protection "Covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account"
previous
United TravelBank Card Benefits
  • No annual fee
  • 2% in TravelBank cash per $1 spent on United purchases, such as airline tickets, seat upgrades and bag fees
  • 1.5% in TravelBank cash per $1 spent on all other purchases
  • 25% back as a statement credit on food and beverage purchases onboard United-operated flights (and inflight wi-fi purchase)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Redeem starting with $1 in TravelBank cash
  • Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
  • Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
Per Business Insider
the TravelBank Card doesn't offer perks like free checked bags, priority boarding, or access to United's clubs.
Chase and United are hoping to capitalize on the dissatisfaction in this space by winning over the leisure traveler who flies a handful of times each year, prioritizes cash back, and would balk at paying annual fees — an approach that shouldn't cannibalize business from existing United cards.
Chase Landing Page

Print Wikipost

Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alchemista
I'm being told That Chase & United decommissioned the TravelBank card recently, even though it still shows on the website? I had downgraded my club card to the TravelBank card but received a MileagePlus card in the mail. When I called to see what happened, they told me it's because the TravelBank card is decommissioned so they swapped me to the lowest AF card. Has anyone else heard of this? Should I HUCA?
try applying for a new account, and see what happens?

seriously though, I still see it online as well. But I kind of hope not. I have the card, and so does my wife. We haven’t heard anything about this. i barely use mine anymore - was really nice to have to earn 1.5% on purchases when the spend counted toward the 25K PQD waiver you until last year (I used it for non-Select bonus categories to get a bigger reward while meeting the spend threshold). Also like the fact it gives a standard value vs. the miles earned on other cards. But honestly, not using it much anymore - it still gets the in-flight purchase discount (but then again, I think my Select does now to - not that I’m flying anywhere). But other than that, seems much better to use the 1.5% back Freedom Unlimited for any non-bonus categories on other cards (especially since the UR points can get an even better value when moves to my CSR account).

It might make sense though, as they seem to slowly but surely be killing the TravelBank. First they stopped allowing contributions from the registry, then they got rid of United.com Club ($5 back to TB for every ticket bought on UAs website), and now maybe this. Not sure if this is exactly correct, but the Card may actually be the only current way to get funds in the TravelBank, and I doubt the card was very popular, so I speculate (with no knowledge - inside or otherwise), that Ua May just be dumping the TravelBank itself.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Bummer, I was hoping to downgrade my ancient Select card to this TravelBank card next month. Hopefully they will keep the no-AF MileagePlus card around as an option.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe

try applying for a new account, and see what happens?

seriously though, I still see it online as well. But I kind of hope not. I have the card, and so does my wife. We haven’t heard anything about this. i barely use mine anymore - was really nice to have to earn 1.5% on purchases when the spend counted toward the 25K PQD waiver you until last year (I used it for non-Select bonus categories to get a bigger reward while meeting the spend threshold). Also like the fact it gives a standard value vs. the miles earned on other cards. But honestly, not using it much anymore - it still gets the in-flight purchase discount (but then again, I think my Select does now to - not that I’m flying anywhere). But other than that, seems much better to use the 1.5% back Freedom Unlimited for any non-bonus categories on other cards (especially since the UR points can get an even better value when moves to my CSR account).

It might make sense though, as they seem to slowly but surely be killing the TravelBank. First they stopped allowing contributions from the registry, then they got rid of United.com Club ($5 back to TB for every ticket bought on UAs website), and now maybe this. Not sure if this is exactly correct, but the Card may actually be the only current way to get funds in the TravelBank, and I doubt the card was very popular, so I speculate (with no knowledge - inside or otherwise), that Ua May just be dumping the TravelBank itself.
I don't want to really apply for a new account. I did try clicking apply on the website and it seems to be fine, but I'm not sure what will happen. It's crazy that they were going to send me a TravelBank card and then I received a MileagePlus card. Another interesting thing the CSR said though was that the AF was $60 for what they sent me, not $95. If I get time I'll call again and see if I get the same info again.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I still do not comprehend how to redeem TravelBank. Is it cash back like the Chase amazon card? Or can I use it only for UAL flights?

also what becomes of this card if TravelBank is closed down?

finally, is there logic in having Explorer Card when we are Sheltering? I had it mainly for the Award redemption since I could book any Standard Award only if I have the Explorer card (eg I needed 3 Sfo/rdu flights and could only get all 3 by having Explorer).
I already rarely travel on United and I buy discounted F, so I don’t need a free checked bag like before. So is this card essential for casual UAL General members?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
I still do not comprehend how to redeem TravelBank. Is it cash back like the Chase amazon card? Or can I use it only for UAL flights? ...
Much of this is covered in "TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019
Use of TravelBank Cash
TravelBank Cash is valid for air travel purchases on United and United Express® flights and as otherwise permitted by United.
At purchase, select "United payment types -- Certificates and United® TravelBank cash"

also what becomes of this card if TravelBank is closed down? ...
unitedclub.com and the gift registry were closed - TravelBank and TravelBank Card are still working (the cc is still accepting applications -- earlier report it may be soon closed to new applications)
"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

is there logic in having Explorer Card ...
probably best for a different thread.

So is this card essential for casual UAL General members?
Free card, no forex, 1.5%/2% cashback, 25% inflight purchase discount, ....
And in the past, a free way to keep miles from expiring
Old May 1, 2020, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With this free TravelBank card That I use monthly, will my mileage plus miles avoid expiration?
it’s hard to justify paying $95 on a card because the miles keep losing severe value.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With this free TravelBank card That I use monthly, will my mileage plus miles avoid expiration?
.... .
Was useful in the past but now United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)
Old May 1, 2020, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot about the miles not expiring. There really is A low point in earning miles per dollar because of the devaluation. It’s 75k one way Sfo/ORD in F. It once was only 50k.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alchemista
I don't want to really apply for a new account. I did try clicking apply on the website and it seems to be fine, but I'm not sure what will happen. It's crazy that they were going to send me a TravelBank card and then I received a MileagePlus card. Another interesting thing the CSR said though was that the AF was $60 for what they sent me, not $95. If I get time I'll call again and see if I get the same info again.
Didn't see if you had a followup in your effort to get the TravelBank card, but Chase has now confirmed they are ending / converting all existing TravelBank cards in September.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Didn't see if you had a followup in your effort to get the TravelBank card, but Chase has now confirmed they are ending / converting all existing TravelBank cards in September.
when did they confirm this (I ask as a cardholder here, who has not gotten any notification - ditto for my wife)? I’m assuming we will be notified at some point? Any idea what they are being converted to (I suspect that we’ll probably just drop this card if it’s being converted to something else). If true, RIP.

that said, this card really lost most of its value, at least for us, with the deval and change from PQM/S/D to PQF/P. Up until then (and while not ‘advertised’), the spend on this card counted toward the PQD waiver, so we used it to hit the waiver with items that were not in bonus categories for our Select cards, so at least this gave us 1.5% back. With the intro of PQP, the spend doesn’t count toward any. Also appreciated a card that gives the rewards in $ for UA vs. miles. Also I don’t think this was advertised anywhere, but they apparently waived the United.com club annual fee (when that existed) with this card - I found out when I realized at some point that We didn’t get charged for it the last couple of years it existed.

That all said, in the COVID world, this card has even less value, as I’m not that interested in gaining rewards toward proprietary airline currency vs. actual cash.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I got the notice in the mail today that I'll be converting to the "United Gateway Card". 1mi/$ on most spend, 2mi/$ on united, gas, local transit Eh. While travelbank funds were nice because they counted toward PQD, etc - I don't see myself using the new benefits. Really, this is just a way to park the account at no annual fee because it is my oldest credit account and I don't want to take a hit on my rating. My Chase Sapphire Reserve gives me a better ratio on United miles than this United card, so I will now use it for even less. Maybe to get a discount on in-flight purchases every now and then if I remember to bring it. Also getting rid of Price Protection on the new card and adding roadside dispatch & emergency assisance services - which is usually a pretty useless benefit.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I got the notice in the mail today that I'll be converting to the "United Gateway Card". ...
What about forex? I have used the card when traveling and not so sure about the "safety" -- a card that I could cancel without disrupting my main card.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What about forex? I have used the card when traveling and not so sure about the "safety" -- a card that I could cancel without disrupting my main card.
I also received a notice in the mail today that my TravelBank card will be converted to the Gateway card in September. The benefits guide included in the mailer shows that the new card will NOT have foreign exchange fees.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
...The benefits guide included in the mailer shows that the new card will NOT have foreign exchange fees.
OK. so it will still work as a safety card --- but I preferred cashback over miles -- got too many, low valued miles.
elCheapoDeluxe likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
OK. so it will still work as a safety card --- but I preferred cashback over miles -- got too many, low valued miles.
I'm with you. It was nice to have some diversification for when miles don't make sense. I'm sure since the united.com club was discontinued they would just like to axe the travelbank code from the web site entirely. It is a shame they don't follow Alaska and establish a bank for cancelled ticket funds to be combined. I'm loving that since flying AS more.

My disappointment would be tempered if incorporate the one benefit of the "mileageplus" cards I miss since downgrading - the ability to clear cpu's on award tickets. Not holding my breath.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.